“Heaven on Earth”

The Ashbrooke
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This was our 6th stay at the Ashbrooke, but it's the first time I'm commenting on it. It never disappoints. The suites are as clean as new. The pool and Jacuzzi are equally well-maintained. The fact that it is an adults-only property makes it that much quieter and more romantic. The Ashbrooke combines convenience, class, and luxury with the natural beauty that surrounds it. A true Shang-ri-la.

Room Tip: I would suggest the Grande Whirpool Suites. Best for size, value and luxury for couples.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mark s

Reviewed 12 November 2011

Big clean room. Small TV. There was no internet in the rooms. The router was broken when we made our reservaton and we were not advised it was broken. A storm caused problems but a week after the storm the router wasn't working. You should be able to download the firmware and if it doesn't work replace it in a day.

3  Thank Jeffrey B
dchotelguy, Owner at The Ashbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize that our staff did not inform you at check-in of the issues we were having with our WiFi system. Unfortunately after the recent high wind storm that knocked out the electricity in almost all of northern Door County for two days, the resulting power surges also destroyed the router and the four access points that provide the wireless internet through-out our hotel. I am very happy to say that all of the new equipment was delivered and installed shortly after this guest departed and the system is now working very well.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. We used the workout room, pool, whirlpool, and sauna. Everything was clean and well maintained. I can understand some of the comments. It is true that the front desk employees may seem somewhat robotic, but they are willing to answer your questions. I really appreciated the honesty of what restaurants to avoid. There is nothing worse than trying a restaurant and finding out that it is on a "hit and miss" cycle. I also agree that there were muffins and coffee provided for the morning. It would be nice if they offered some fresh fruit as well. We did not find the facility to smell anything like a grandmother's closet. The issue of the tv was also an issue to us. It was almost as if the volume was preset and you couldn't make it loud enough while watching a movie. One nice amenity that is offered is that you can borrow a DVD without an addition charge and they did have relatively new movies as well. I would agree that the price is a little high. I did enjoy the peacefulness with no children running around. Personally, I needed that peace because I watch my grandchildren during the week so things can be quite noisy a good portion of my week. So, I guess what I am saying is no place is perfect in every way just as life is not perfect. Just felt wonderful to get away, and I would not hesitate to stay here again, just wished it was a little cheaper.

2  Thank Marlene H
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We returned a week ago from our second trip to Door County in three weeks. Door County is wonderful! Unfortunately, our hotel was not "wonderful". The staff were not friendly from the minute I phoned to make the reservation. Seemed annoyed at my questions. (Note their reservation cancellation policy! You are responsible for the entire total if you need to cancel within 14 days. At around $200 per night, that would have been over $600 had we canceled.) After we checked in, my husband commented that the desk clerk must have taken a speed talking class as she zoomed through the parking, breakfast hours, etc, in a robotic manner. (Actually amusing.) The grounds are nice and well maintained. There is a tiny workout room, a nice size indoor pool and hot tub. We had one of the larger king rooms on the second floor called the French Country room. It had a gas fireplace, a wet bar, and a double jacuzzi in the room. The bed was comfortable with nice linens. It was a big room, clean, but in need of an update; decorated in mauve and teal. Also, there was no luggage rack and no place to put the luggage other than on the floor. Use the Aveda toiletries judiciously, as they were never replaced and we stayed there 3 nights. Also, a plastic container of liquid Soft Soap (exactly like in the store) is next to the sink. Not too classy. The towels were not thick and fluffy at all. Very sweet, sugary muffins, and good coffee are served in the lounge, and nothing else. Neither of us wanted this as our breakfast for 3 mornings. I had just stayed at a hotel around the corner which had better amenities and welcoming staff for less than half the price. We would not return here at their current price level. We have traveled extensively and are not at all opposed to spending $200 or more a night if the hotel warrants it. This one disappoints.

Room Tip: No elevator to the second floor.
12  Thank NancyBSt_Paul_MN
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I couldn't agree less with the disgruntled "53 year old" who wrote the unflattering review of the Ashbrooke. I just returned from a visit there, and I certainly would return again. The accommodations were roomy, the amenities adequate, and the hotel is very clean and well-maintained. Having had plenty of less-than-stellar hotel visits with children screaming at all hours -- and worst yet, drunk
party-goers stumbling their way down the hallways at 3 a.m. -- I really appreciated having a stay in a beautiful place where I didn't have to call the front desk to complain about noise. And as far as the TV is concerned.....I'm 59 and near-sighted, and I had no problems seeing the TV, so I don't know what that silly complaint was all about! If you want glitz and big screen TVs and mini bars, then you go to Vegas. But if you want a lovely, comfortable place to stay in Egg Harbor then I would recommend the Ashbrooke. And no, JD, I am not a relative nor a friend, but a visitor from a neighboring state who has traveled extensively nationally and internationally.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
18.8 km away
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to The Ashbrooke? Share your experiences!