All reviews water park action city go karts lazy river laser tag bumper cars the pub arcade games mini golf chaos waterpark locker room pizza dairy queen climbing wall day pass indoor waterpark spring break
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We were recently at a wedding reception being held at Metropolis. The reception room was freezing and all guests were sitting with their coats over their formal wear. The wait staff were not rude but were certainly not overly friendly. My husband went to get a refill on his beverage and watched as the server refilled his glass and handed it to someone else. Watch your glass...
Food was mediocre at best. The ambiance was modern but lacked any feeling of taste or formality for a reception facility. Would recommend checking out other venues in the area for your special day.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Lizzypw
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I spent the night there as we were attending a party at the expo center across the street. We had driven by the Metropolis many times with our kids when we were in the Eau Claire area but had never stayed there.

Check in was easy and they had our room ready before normal check in time which was very nice as we had a party to get ready for. They gave us three keys for the two of us. I will comment more on why later in the review. The check in staff told us about the wrist bands for the waterpark and breakfast the next day and where to find it and we were off to head to our room.

The hotel lobby was very plain and not very inviting to visit or relax. We saw some others attending the party and ended up standing sort of in the way to catch up with them. There was a bar right off the lobby, but again didn't look very inviting and we didn't go in although it was busy.

Our room was on the third floor, and the elevator is VERY slow. Unlike other hotels the stairs were not near the elevator. If they had been I am sure I would have used the stairs more than the elevator. The stairs were on either end of a very long hallway.

One interesting thing is that the rooms use the room key to keep the lights on and it must be inserted into the wall at all times. Not only does this keep the lights on, but all the outlets in the room too. We were issued three keys so that we would have power at all times to charge phones, iPods and such. Because there was no key in the wall when we arrived and the power had been out, we had to set the clock and the microwave clocks (this might not bother some, but for my DH this would have driven him nuts!). The room was very large, a double queen and clean. The carpet had seen better days however, there was a large red stain near the microwave and fridge looked like Hawaiian Punch.

We enjoyed our party that evening and we were very happy the hotel was so close. In the morning we went down for breakfast. It was held in a large meeting room with long banquet style tables. Beverages on one side, and hot food on the other. Eggs, potatoes, monkey bread, biscuits and gravy. Cold cereal and some sad looking bagels and breads. It was fine, but nothing special. Liked the free newspaper. We couldn't tell if we were supposed to bus our own dishes or not. We would have been happy to clean up after ourselves, but couldn't tell where our dishes were to go. There were young girls keeping the food items filled and perhaps busing tables so we ended up leaving our dishes.

The night we were there they were hosting a lock in that was to be over at 6:00 AM, we saw that posted in the elevator. Shortly after six we heard children running in the hall to the parents rooms. Don't think I can blame the hotel on that, but ending a lock in at 6:00 AM seems early. I suppose so that they don't have to feed them breakfast.

We were not there to use the waterpark or the Action City so I can't comment on that. We didn't even peak inside.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This would be my second stay at Metropolis but the first time I really experienced anything this hotel had to offer. My husband and 4 kids and I all stayed in one double queen room. The room was very quiet, we had our own balcony that overlooked the highway and front parking lot. It was very nice. The decor and feel of the hotel felt updated and clean. Staying at the hotel gets you complimentary passes to Chaos waterpark. Although it is nothing like Kalahari or the Dells, the kids still really enjoyed it. I feel like the waterpark is aimed more for the kids than the adults. We also got passes to Action City (for $25 per person, it's supposedly cheaper because we also stayed at the hotel) which has an arcade area with all kinds of fun games: mini bowling, laser tag, bumper cars, go-karts, outside mini golf and maze, in addition to all the usual arcade games. The kids absolutely loved it. We had just gone to Chuck E. Cheeses the day before and the kids thought Action City was sooo much better. There are games there that you can play for free or for cash. All the tickets that you win are electronic, meaning it goes on a card similar to that of a debit/credit card and you can redeem them later for prizes. They also had very cool prizes, not some cheap crap like at Chuck E. Cheeses. Overall, a very fun stay for the kids and my husband and I. We will probably come back some other time and hopefully the hotel will still be this good, if not better! By the way, the service people were very nice and friendly, always with a smile on their faces.

Room Tip: If you are on the 3rd floor, you get a balcony.
1  Thank Noudles27
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The rooms here are awesome, so modern and sleek. The waterpark is decent, there are 3 slides, an obstacle course with ropes, lazy river, area for small children with smaller slides, and hot tub. My kids (5 and 8) enjoyed it. Action City is a typical arcade where you can play video games or games for tickets. The prizes seemed pretty good as far as arcades go, the kids got full size candy bars instead of cheap plastic toys that some other places have. Action City also has cool attractions though, like mini golf, a maze, and go karts for older kids and adults, as well as mini bowling and bumper cars. There is a pizza place and a Dairy Queen right on the resort, as well as a pub area that serves food. We tried the pizza, and it was pretty good. Overall, I thought that the price wasn't bad, and we got waterpark passes included with our stay.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a balcony, it was the same price as regular rooms.
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here once not too long ago. I have noticed some improvements since that visit.

For one - the door to the water park. It used to SLAM whenever people went through it (which was every minute). This time they've done something to it so it's quiet. Again our room was located right by the water park, but this time we didn't hear the door!

Breakfast - it is now served in a bigger area then where it was last time, and there is actually enough room for people. And they made sure everything stayed stocked up this time, unlike the last. (I will say though, that it was still very messy. Food all over the floor, spills, etc.)

The room - it was cleaner this time. The last time our room had so much dust floating around I was up all night (asthma). This time around (and maybe it was just luck) the room was good.

I will say this - the staff hasn't changed. All very helpful and very friendly.