“Unique Hotel”
Review of Don Q Inn

Don Q Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Dodgeville
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband surprised me with a night in the Cave Room on a recent trip to Wisconsin. First of all Ashely at the front desk went above and beyond to help us. The hotel is very unique and there is so much to see and explore that we were extremely amused. The Cave was awesome. The hot tub is huge and has a cool waterfall. We smiled and giggled from check in to check out! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Check out the room selection online before you book. There is something for everyone.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k2tmurphy
There are newer reviews for Don Q Inn

Reviewed 25 August 2011

The Don Q Inn is very similar to the nearby House on the Rock in that it's a one-of-a-kind kind of place. It's not a new or fancy hotel, but it's got a character and an old time charm that more than makes up for any shortcomings, in my opinion. It's a little dark and maybe a little dusty in a few places, but everything that matters is clean and in decent repair and the service is friendly. This is the kind of place you come when you want to tour the airplane autographed by Farah Fawcett out front, or sleep in a bed in the basket of a hot air balloon in one of the fantasy rooms, or walk through the actual spooky underground cave to the (excellent) supper club next door. It's old time Wisconsin charm.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laurie2929
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I chose the Don Q Inn from Trip Adviser. Check in time is 3 so we met outside and left to tour the House on the Rock, which was close by. The reservation went well & staff was terrific. We were given 2 very large rooms with 2 queen size beds and a small fee for a roll a way bed in the "men's" bedroom. My sister remembered driving by when she was a child and yes, its old, but totally unique and clean. The beds were Serta and comfortable. Our tour took too long and we had no problem changing our reservations at the restaurant which you get too by going through a tunnel. Restaurant parking lot was full and two weddings were going on, and they gave us a nice table for in the corner so we could hear each other and visit. Eight of us had a wonderful meal for only $100. The waitress brought me a lighted cheesecake pie and they all sang Happy Birthday. My 9 year old grandson ate all his food, which was generous and surprising. The tunnel is old and smells and they put a few skulls in there, but it beat parking but if your allergic don't take it. We swam in the pool until it closed at 11 pm., The pool is small, it is not deep so safe for children and you can swim to a small outside pool, but since there were only 2 families using it we had so much fun. And the hot tub is right there. If it were adults wanting to use it, they may not be happy. We found the games in the morning and played several of them, all non electric and really takes you back. Check out time is 11 am but they let us sit and visit with grand kids. Now the airplane out in front was a huge hit and they loved going into it. All the games appealed to them. Oh, the breakfast was free and included everything from fresh juice and fruit, cereal, rolls to good coffee. The coffee maker and refrigerator in the rooms were nice as we put our "night treats" in there.
I never looked at the couples rooms upstairs though they offered a tour. I would stay there any time because from the staff to the restaurant, pool and breakfast and a good night's sleep, it was great. If you use the pool, bring your own beach towels, I never asked but the room towels are not big enough.

Room Tip: It was a Sat. and we all slept well and we had groundfloor rooms. Everything was excellent
Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank grannyohdear
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I was a bit nervous selecting this hotel based on how much lower their price was than the others in the area. When I arrived, I asked the front desk clerk if I could go check out the room before I made a decision to stay. She did not miss a beat and told me "absolutely, feel free". Being a frequent traveler I am prone to base my accommodations based on price, you get what you pay for. In this case that is not true. This hotel was very clean and the staff was top notch. My whole family enjoyed the pool. The hot tub was crystal clear. The decor is hard to explain. It is not shiny and fancy, it is more like a throwback to the 70's look. Very unique, very intriguing. I loved the change. The free game room upstairs was a pleasant surprise. I didn't have to constantly shell out quarters and the kids had a blast. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone that wants to step back a bit, slow down and just relax.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ProudAmerican64
Reviewed 19 June 2011

This is a total throwback to the 70's! We were going to House on the Rock, which is minutes away from the hotel. It wasn't busy at all at the hotel, many people probably would opt for an upadted hotel and spend more money for it too. This place was like having it to ourselves, our kids got to swim all alone in the large indoor/outdoor pool. The lobby area has some games, barber chairs surrounding a huge fireplace, old dental chair, old optical chair. We did go thru the tunnel to the adjoining restaurant (Sam & Maddies) which was cool to do.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Love2Ctheworld1117
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodgeville
2.4 km away
Karakahl Country Inn
Karakahl Country Inn
#3 of 3 in Mount Horeb

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Dodgeville

Been to Don Q Inn? Share your experiences!