“Excellent fish fry but a bit pricey”

Rushing Waters Trout House
Ranked #22 of 82 Restaurants in Delavan
Price range: USD 10 - USD 32
Description: Rushing Waters Trout House is more than another great restaurant; it is a unique, mouthwatering, farm-to-fork, culinary experience.
Reviewed 29 January 2018

Friday night fish fry is a tradition in Wisconsin so many restaurants fill up quickly. We arrived at 4:45, which is a bit early for us to make sure we got a table. By the time we left at 5:40 there were people sitting at the bar waiting for a table. The two piece fish fry was $13.95 that included marble rye bread, cole slaw and choice of potato or rice. The fish pieces were quite large and cooked perfectly. The thin batter was crunchy and the fish inside literally fell apart. The cole slaw was more of a vinegar base instead of a lot of mayonnaise. I liked it a lot, my wife not so much but that is just a matter of personal taste. My wife had the potato pancakes which she said were excellent and the apple sauce that came with them was lumpy instead of the consistency of baby food which she liked. We found it a bit strange that salt and pepper were not on the table, but had to be brought after our meal was served. I wonder why. We had a martini apiece, I had a bottled beer with my meal and my wife had a glass of chardonnay with her meal. Our water - with no ice - was never re-filled. The bill came to $56.00 and change. Service was very good except for the non-refilling of the water. Yes, I am picky, but the water and having to wait for salt and pepper, which should have been on the table knocked this restaurant down from a five to a four star.

1  Thank flutepilot

Reviewed 26 January 2018

It was a cold day in January when my husband and I ate lunch at this newer restaurant in Delavan. There is a dining room, a bar room and a small retail area that sells fresh, frozen and smoked seafood. The decor is interesting with exposed old brick walls. We sat at a table in front of the fireplace and had an enjoyable experience. Our server was friendly and attentive.

We ordered the crab cake sandwich and the rainbow trout shore lunch, both with choice of fries, homemade chips, potato pancakes or fruit. The crab cake was served on a brioche bun. There were 3 options for the 2 pieces of rainbow trout: pan-fried, beer-battered or one of each. The shore lunch also included marble rye bread and julienne vegetables. The crab cake and the trout were both delicious. The homemade chips were very good too. The fresh fruit was a little hard. Each meal was $14. The prices are higher for the dinner menu.

This is a seafood restaurant, but they also serve chicken, pork, beef and pasta entrees.The trout is fresh from the Rushing Waters Trout Farm in Palmyra, WI.

They are open Wednesday - Saturday 11 am to 9 pm and Sunday 9 am to 9 pm. They accept reservations for lunch Wednesday through Sunday; dinner – Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and also for Sunday breakfast. Friday nights they seat on a walk in basis only.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We have eaten here before and have had great food and service. This last visit thought had us waiting a very long time for our food. We ordered the fish fry which usually does not take 30-40 minutes, the food was very good but the wait was to long. We will go back and give it another try, we enjoy the atmosphere and food.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

We visited shortly after they opened and it was packed. I think everyone had the same idea as us and yes it was worth the wait. This is one of the nicer places for dinner in Delavan. So happy they opened here and not some other town.

1  Thank ngolubski
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

While we have eaten there once before with a satisfactory experience, I had the herb crusted New York strip steak which was the worst steak I have ever been served in a restaurant. The meat was tough and tasteless and I actually had to pull pieces out of my mouth that would not break down. The dipping sauce served on the side, hoping to give the steak some flavor, was so salty it would make soy sauce taste like milk. The fish may be good but don't ever order the $32 steak.

2  Thank greggiovannetti