“Surprisingly Good”
Review of Applebee's

Applebee's
Ranked #25 of 47 Restaurants in Delafield
Reviewed 10 November 2015

Applebee's has previously been a desparation (there's no others open) place rather than a "go to" place for us. However, this may have changed for the positive based on our most recent visit. While the service has always been excellent at this location, I was impressed with the new menu and drink selections, although I don't care for the makeover from a neighborhood bistro into a full-fledged sports bar (too many distracting TVs in the dining room). Their decor is clean and fresh. My wife and I like the two-for-$20 and two-for $25 menus, and we chose from the latter on this visit. She had a new dish: four cheese macaroni with chicken strips and I had a 7 oz. steak. The onion rings we chose for an appetizer were wonderful: large and with ample but not too much breading. I didn't care for the super sweet BBQ dipping sauce though, and would like them better if you had a choice of sauces. My wife's meal was so big that she took 1/2 of it home. My steak was just right, and cooked prefectly to my medium rare specification. They also substituted fries for the menu choice of mashed potatoes or baked potato, without question. Two things to the negative, (1) unfortunately: my wife and I were both going to order margaritas from their menu, which described the ingredients. However, when I asked if sour mix was also added, they said 'yes' and I was told they couldn't make them without it. A couple of issues here:(a) a true margarita is made with tequila, triple sec and lime--that's it, not a 'filler' of sour mix; and, (b) this obviously brings into play 'truth in menu' from the description. Based on the information, I changed my order to a martini but my wife stuck with what they described as a 'perfect' margarita. It was far from it. Despite the fact that they serve a 'sidecar' in the shaker so you can get more than one drink, it was so full of sour mix that it was all she could taste and after finishing the shaker believed that there was little or no booze in the drink at all. (2) They appear to be trying to gradually replace their wait staff with a machine, which provides menu items, allows you to order drinks or summon the server, and pay your bill without the server. I've seen this now at several chains: at the least they will have fewer servers for more tables over time, and at the most they will eliminate servers altogether. I still prefer the personal touch of a dedicated server, and hope that this trend toward automation doesn't expand.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

Having lunch here on a Saturday, we had not visited an Applebee's in a long time. Trying this location for the first time had mixed reaction. We had a couple of issues here. Our appetizer, the "Full Size" Briskit Nachos, did not look like the picture on the menu. Delivered, they were about half the size and greatly skimping on the meat. The Fish & Chips were (3) very small pieces and were dried out and chewy. I returned them to our server. A manager came out to see me who was very nice, personable and apologetic. He was eager to please and had me substitute the fish for something much tastier: the All Day Breakfast Burger. It was excellent. My husband's Triple Hog Dare Sandwich was reportedly "awesome". So, we did go home happy, with a little work on our part and a nice manager.

Reviewed 2 October 2015 via mobile

Fish fry was a good portion size and cooked perfect. Wife had an Asian salad and loved it, I tried some, it was tasty. We were both stuffed. Great service. Very fast.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Stopped in for dinner, while staying in the hotel next door. The beer selection was good, and the beer itself was ice cold. The wings were cooked to perfection, and quite tasty.

I found the service at the bar to be outstanding... the bar tender was both friendly and professional.

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

If you are looking for an adult meal out on a Saturday night, don't go here. Waitress & staff awesome but couldn't make up for screaming kids, obnoxious parents and mediocre food. Close to hotel but should have drove into Milwaukee.