See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

I stayed at this motel last year and it was a awesome stay. Now with new owners its not the same at all. The quality and service are horrible, filthy rooms , crazy rates . No discount for the working man, do yourself and pass on by when you see this motel. It's a shame a darn shame.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2015

Nothing bad, but also nothing really good. We need a place to stay overnight, and it was just that. Place to stay that was clean and OK. The hours of the office are kind of funny, and the owners are not very fluent in English. But, if you need a place to stay that is clean and relatively inexpensive, this was fine.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2015

We stayed at this motel a year ago to attend a nearby annual car show in Chetek WI. Since we were very happy with everything at the Black Bear we booked again this year. What a different experience this time around! Knowing that there would be high demand for lodging over the 4th of July weekend, we made reservations several months early. We arrived fully expecting another good stay, but when we saw our room, we were disappointed to see that we were in the group of rooms which had not been updated. We could have lived with that, but the soap scum in the bathtub was thick enough to scratch your name in it. The bottom of the shower curtain was filthy and when I brought all of this to the manager's attention, he said he would clean the tub but then tried to run the hot water faucet only to find that it just spun around - no hot water and no stopper for the tub drain. There were just two dingy bath towels for guest use and the mattresses on the beds were so worn out they were like bouncing on a trampoline.The room entry carpet had large dirty spots by the door. We asked for another room, but were told they were totally booked so we declined to stay. Thankfully, we did get our card credited for the two night reservation and we were very lucky to find another place down the road. I do hope though, that no one else got stuck with this room. If they did, they would have been in for a big surprise if they wanted a hot shower!

Room Tip: If you want to try this place definitely look for the rooms on the right side of the office.These are the ones which have been most recently updated. You will want to look at the room before you decide to stay. Be sure to look closely at the bathroom to be sure it is clean and everything works.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJBMLB
Reviewed 5 July 2015

I used to love this little hotel. It was older but alway very clean! 3 months ago it was sold to new owners. I had book my reservation before the sale so I thought It would still be ok. Our stay was a nightmare the place was extremely dirty and dusty. Sheets were dirty, the room smelled and they left the doors open while cleaning so bugs were flying around. Pillows were stained with blood. The bathrooms had mold and tubs were not clean, shower curtained stained. My feet were black from the carpet. Garbage and food all over the floor along with some white powder. Window shades damaged and lights that did not work. The outlet covers were hanging. I had reservations for two nights. We left after one and lost out on the money. As an ex travel agent I expect cleanliness and I no longer endorse this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2015

We stayed at this motel last year on our way back from a vacation out west and it was so clean and neat we decided to stay again on our way home from a west vacation. BIG MISTAKE!!! Under new ownership and the parking lot and windows were dirty, the lawn needed mowing, the room was dirty and the towels were disgusting. We would not have stayed had there been another choice real close by. Never Again!!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple