“Good food, bad service.”
Review of Lucky Star

Lucky Star
Ranked #3 of 46 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Came with my mother, as she heard good things from a friend. I had been here once, It was average, trying again. (My mother is 80, doesn't have a lot of patience, and drinks a lot of coffee.) It was 1 p.m., 3/4 full, I asked for a booth as I use a walker, my mom a cane. We were seated at the booth right by the door, which would have been fine, except the flies! There were more than a few buzzing, landing on us and our food. I did tell the waitress, she agreed told us many people were complaining. That was it?? I ordered iced tea, while mom had coffee, and did ask the waitress to keep her cup full. I ordered breadbowl cauliflower soup, my mother pea soup and fruit. My bread bowl was delicious, the soup hot, but little flavor, my mom's pea soup was very good, fruit fresh and tasty. Our complaint was, it took 20 minutes to get our food, no drink refills offered until the food came, then she didn't return until I flagged down a different waitress and asked for our check. We enjoyed the food, but not the flies and lack of service.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank papadiseb

Reviewed 4 July 2018

Everything you order is awesome and delicious, the portions are huge, so plan on taking the proverbial box home with you, small town restaurant big time meals and service, enjoy..

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank ordff01
Reviewed 27 June 2018

First of all... holy BREAKFAST, Batman! Personally, I usually want breakfast any time I dine out before 3pm on a weekend. Lucky Star does not disappoint in that department. They have a large selection of breakfast choices which made this traveler very happy. What made me even happier was the deliciously spicy Bloody Mary they served with tons of garnish. Let me focus on large for a minute... the menu is HUGE. This can be a good and bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. For many it can be overwhelming (and I can't imagine what it's like for the cooks), which in this case kind of causes you to wonder exactly what vibe they are striving for - Is it a local pub? Is it Ameri-mex? There's lots going on here. I'm just going to settle on bar & grill with an expansive menu. They could probably whittle things down and make the overall experience even stronger... from good to great. There's potential here because they are actually trying to be creative with some of the dishes which is a good attempt at making the big menu more personal. The atmosphere is inviting (lots of families when we visited), and there's a small outdoor patio with seating which is always a bonus. Our server was adorable and attentive but not annoying and did a great job. We had waters right away but it did take a while to get our drinks from the bar. It seemed like they may have only had one bartender for a fairly busy Saturday. Our food was good (it's worth mentioning that my over-medium eggs were perfectly cooked) and we had plenty of leftovers to take back to our hotel fridge for a midnight snack. Coming from a bigger city where a place like this (maybe located in the suburbs) can be overpriced, so we were pleasantly surprised at our $42 check total for three drinks, an appetizer and two meals - well worth the money. Overall, our experience was pleasant and we'd return if we ever find ourselves traveling through/staying in Burlington again.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Lucky Star is without question, worth the stop when driving through Burlington. The atmosphere is inviting and upbeat, the staff is attentive and the apparel selection is great. The specialty drinks & fried ice cream were anazing!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank IJ B
Reviewed 4 May 2018

I've been here quite a few times over the past few years but haven't visited in awhile, and was really disappointed in current visit.

Everything seemed to come from a bag, jar or can. The salsa chips were stale and obviously made elsewhere - it tasted like Tostitos when you leave the bag open on the counter for a couple of days.

I ordered hard tacos and got 3 Ortega yellow corn taco shells, like you buy 8 for $1.40 at the grocery store. Inside each was about 2 jellybeans worth of chicken, a 1/4 cup of lettuce, a half dozen teeny tomato chunks and no discernable cheese. This came with a small saucer-full of beans and rice. The beans were cold and still retained the curve of the can or container they had been scooped from; the rice had rehydrated peas in it which made me wonder if it came from a premade mix, once again like something you'd buy in a pouch of rice and seasoning at the grocery store. It sure tasted like it. This entree cost $9.99.

My dining companion was similarly unimpressed with his dish; he ate only the outside of a chimichanga, and declined to eat the rice at all after his first bite.

Kinda of the icing on the cake: when I went to pay the bill, I gave the waitress $40 on a $26 bill and she asked if I wanted change. Seriously?

TO BE FAIR: The guac that came with the chimichanga was great, from the big chunks of avocado, it was clear it was made fresh, unlike just about everything else we were served. Wish they took as much pride in the rest of their menu as they do in a condiment.

ALSO TO BE FAIR: It's very cute inside, lots of things to look at, interesting memorabilia. Sadly, we didn't come there to sightsee, but to eat dinner.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank wizard395

Been to Lucky Star? Share your experiences!