“Delicious, pleasant, comfortable, very nice staff.”
Review of Boyd's Steakhouse

Boyd's Steakhouse
Ranked #4 of 172 Restaurants in Martinsburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2016

Full of character, friendly and professional, my first visit here (and hopefully not my last) was a great start. The menu is really interesting. Choice Steaks are the feature with a special of prime Greg Norman Wagyu beef when available. One can add surf items like crab cakes and scallops if desired. The menu also offers a really interesting array of choices including a vegetarian portobello mushroom entree that sounded wonderful, some Italian items, even something as unique in character as banana stuffed waffles with fried chicken. Honestly, the menu was so inviting that I had a real struggle choosing between the steak choices and other items. I chose a New York strip, rare, which happily leaves me with many more options to return and try.

The steak had great flavor and was cooked perfectly. It was a little tough, even for a strip which usually has a lot of body when cut thick. It was well trimmed and a very generous cut. I had no regrets on my steak choice but a tiny wish it had been a little more tender. The side of creamed spinach was better than usual; I loved it! One of my friends felt it was a little too salty but I was totally happy. I changed my mind at the last minute from their homemade mashed potatoes for my second side when someone pointed out they had mac and cheese. I've mentioned in other reviews that I'm still on a quest to find a place that does extraordinary (in my opinion) baked mac and cheese. Our server confirmed that it was not baked but I decided to try it anyway. Unfortunately, it was good but not really special and the one item I didn't bother to finish. Others in my party had filet mignon and seemed very happy. One friend who is also a hospitality professional also had the strip and commented on the toughness. Another had a side of roasted Brussels sprouts and found them to be really hard. I tasted one and while they were cooked to the center and very tasty, the particular variety, I assume, is just a sturdy vegetable. One of the owners eagerly offered an asparagus substitute and commented that they are home-grown and are known to be a bold bite. We wondered if they would have been more pleasant if sliced before roasting.

We had fried green tomatoes, roasted oysters on the half shell and artichoke and carb dip as starters. All were flawless.

Several of us ordered cocktails and were surprised that they were out of Makers Mark and all brands of gin this Friday night. I'm puzzled why they would go into a weekend with a bar that was missing some key items, especially when its pouring cost is about 15%. I had at least two less drinks than I likely would have were the bar stocked.

So its not perfect, but it is really good and worthy of patronage. The food overall excellent, the service was stellar, and the charm and atmosphere is outstanding. Even with the quirks we found tonite, none in our party regretted that we had driven from 25 to 70 miles for dinner here.

1  Thank Alan V

Reviewed 14 September 2016

This was our second trip to Boyd's while staying over in Martinsburg. Our group of ten all enjoyed their meals. I ate my entire filet mignon dinner! Waitstaff is very friendly as was the bartender. We plan on eating there whenever we stay in Martinsburg.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

A dining experience. Worth the price. Wonderful wine list and server knew the wines. Relaxing, quiet, adult atmosphere.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

We visited Boyd's Steakhouse hoping to enjoy a good meal with two of our friends. The restaurant was crowded, but we were seated quickly. There were a lot of tables in a small restaurant making for a cramped dining area. The girls ordered Momma Boyd's Fliets which were okay, but not the best for the price ($27). I had Mrs. Boyd's ribeye medium rare. It came out almost well done. I didn't want to complain and send it back, so I just ate it the way it was. The other person in our party ordered the New York strip. It was so tough he could hardly cut it. We told the server and the Owner/Manager, Mr. Boyd, came out and told us there was nothing wrong with the steak and that he would eat it himself. After we paid the check and were headed out Mr. Boyd put on a rather immature show by sitting at the bar and gnawing on the terrible piece of meat. Needless to say, we won't be returning.

9  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 29 August 2016

The entire wait staff was charming and we had a photo taken by Al Capone's whisky bar (literally). The bar sets the tone for a rather romantic feel. In the summer, wear something warm as there is ample air conditioning. This place takes their steaks VERY seriously. My rib-eye was cooked to perfection and the sides of mac-n-cheese and french fries were perfect (not at all ordinary - a cut above for sure). The salad we had was marvelous with mango, blackberries, blue cheese, green olives and more. The desserts looked wonderful but, alas, we were too full to make an attempt. Cocktails were served up well. My husband's entree was a meatloaf roll of ricotta & spinach was a tad disappointing. We would give it a 4.5 for sure!