“The smell was horrible”

Super 8 Martinsburg
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We have traveled around the state of WV this summer with my sons baseball team. We try to stay in cheaper motels and only expect a clean place to sleep. Some motels that have recieved poor reviews on here, I have found to be fine. I wished I had listened this time. When we checked in the Super 8, I noticed the lobby was dirty. The toaster sitting out for breakfast was filthy--not a good sign. Our room was on the first floor and the entire hall smelled. When I got to my room, it was worse. I had to open the window and leave the air conditioner on all day. (It was 98 degrees out). The chair in the room was filthy, the toilet and bathtub were dirty. When I talked to other parents traveling with us, they all had complaints of smell and filth. We stayed one night and checked out early. The only good part was the front desk didnt give me much hassle when I asked to have my credit card refunded for the rest of the reservation. I have a feeling they were used to doing this!!!

• Stayed: August 2007

Reviewed 5 January 2007

We stayed here for a Holiday getaway, visiting family in the area. As before the hotel represents a clean, decent place to stay. It's family owned and operated, and everyone is real nice. Actually the hotel looks neater than when we visited in March. FYI - We found a very inexpensive "family style" restaurant nearby called (I believe) "The Eatery". Just leave the hotel and cross the street through the traffice light and continue about a mile and see it on your left.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ellwooddiesel
Reviewed 10 December 2006

super 8 motel should be removed from the list of referral of hotels. management is bad and not professional. the front desk manager conducting busniess was poorly dress and without shoes on her feet. the lobby was very dark and smelled like nothing you would like to smell after eating dinner. i am requesting a full refund from orbitz and to never have to do busniess with a motel like super 8 ever in life. thank you for your review section.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 February 2006

I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I am with this whole experience. At this point I will never,
and I do mean never visit one of these motels again.

When we first pulled up the trash was overflowing in the garbage outside in front of the motel, (and no they didn't clean it up, and yes it was worse the next day).

Next when we went in, the front desk area was dirty, food stuffs everywhere, and the kid behind the desk was in old, dirty sweatpants and a sweatshirt. While we were there waiting, we had the luxury of listening to what I could guess was their only maid argue and swear at some other worker, all of whom looked like they never bathed or changed their clothes.

Next, we gave the kid behind the desk a coupon for a discount, which he said he would honor and give us, and then didn't. Well, we didn't notice it on our receipt until the next day, and the manager said that it was too late and refused to refund the difference.

Next, we walked into the hallway, and the stairwell was literally covered with mud and trash clear up to the third floor. The odor was terrible. The only thing that wasn't filthy, as far as we could tell was the room itself. The room did smell really stale and moldy, but we aired it out really good. Thank God we only had to spend a couple of hours in there.

Then to top it all off, I bought my wife new pajamas for our anniversary, and she accidentally left them behind. We called them 4 times. The first time they said they found them and they would send them, the next three times we called they promised to send them again, and again all three times, and never did. We finally gave up.

These have to be the dirtiest, most unscrupulous people we have ever had the misfortune of staying with.

This definitely makes the worst hotel/motel experience in our lives, and we have stayed at alot of budget motels, but nothing ever as dirty and as poorly run as this sesspool.

I don't know if the people who stayed here prior with nice remarks had other owners or what, because I can't imagine anything positive ever coming out of this sorry excuse of a motel.

Do yourself a favor, pay a few extra bucks and stay someplace clean and reputable.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank PSUWORKER
Reviewed 24 May 2005

Easy on/off to highway and right next door to state police. Felt safe there... They were doing renovations to the exterior so we couldn't see much from the window, but didn't care. Bed comfortable enough, room clean, tv nice and big. Only complaint was that the toilet would make running noise for about 1-2 minutes every 15 minutes so I shut the bathroom door and turned off the water supply to the toilet to prevent getting woken up several times. A basic Super 8, affordable, and would stay there again on our trips down South...

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank fishhawker74
dale3283, Manager at Super 8 Martinsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post your review on our Super 8 Martinsburg West Virginia! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
7.7 km away
5.5 km away
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
#2 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Super 8 Martinsburg? Share your experiences!