“Dead Flies and "Deliverance"”

Marlinton Motor Inn Motel
Marlinton Motor Inn Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marlinton
Reviewed 25 October 2016

Read this before you make reservations!!!

With a late change in my schedule, I found myself available with only a week's notice to attend to the USAC Collegiate Mountain Biking National Championships being held on Snowshoe Mtn to watch my son compete. With no rooms available on Snowshoe Mtn., a friend and I booked a room at the Marlinton Motor Inn.

We discovered, rotted steps and decking and feared it would give way at any moment. Upon opening the door to the room, a giant stain was visible on the carpet even before reaching in to turn on a light. Entering the room, we discovered easily a hundred or so dead flies atop the HVAC unit and all around on the floor.

Needing to pick up dinner and endure an additional hour long drive to meet our son, we stopped at the front desk and asked if there was another room but we were told we could only have a smoking room. Hhmm...dead flies vs. cigarette smoke...tough to decide. So we asked at least if we could have a vacuum. "Sure, but why." But they honestly tried to act surprised when we told them about the flies! (The room comes equipped with it own fly swatter!!!!). Tell me again how they don't know about these flies!!! Then they pointed to a room where the vacuum cleaner was so we could lift it into our trunk, drive to our section of this establishment and lug it up the rotted stairwell to suck up the nauseating vision of dead fly corpses. (It was 28 degrees, raining and snowing, treacherous roads and no rooms available for hours away).

We went to the bar for a drink, wash our eyes and try to erase the picture of the flies now burned into our memories before turning in for the night. Theirs was a small pub with pool, country music and some classic rock playing on the juke box. Video lotto seems to be a really big thing in these parts. The other patrons seemed to read NYC on our foreheads. It was not long before we were invited to play pool...an invitation which, when politely declined, was not accepted very easily. We managed to leave eventually without too much of a scene.

We returned to the dead fly room and tossed and turned all night because of generalized wretchedness and the noise of the mice and other WV animals scurrying about inside the walls.

Lighting was minimal. The TV remote did not work. The bathroom was clean enough. The water in the shower was nice and hot.

BTW, there is no cell service in this area...not until you are at the top of Snowshoe Mtn. Be aware that there is NO wifi at this motel...not even in the main office – at least that our mobile devices were able to detect!

Bottom line? I'm way ok with basic, even cabin-like accommodations and can even comfortably go without my wifi and TV if need be. But dirty, rundown and fly infested??? This is really too much for even me to deal with. I encourage you to fill up your tanks and keep driving. The roads are beautiful there.

Room Tip: Keep driving!!!
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank reneelando297

Reviewed 13 August 2016

The room smelled terrible. very old and outdated. The tub looked like it should have been thrown out a long time ago. The pool was closed. My kids almost disowned me because there was no wifi in the rooms. you had to go to the office to get wifi and deal with the employee chain smoking cigarettes in the front. We could not leave this dump fast enough. very over priced. I stayed in an amazing hotel in Tennessee for less money with two pools and wifi and an amazing breakfast included.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank David P
Reviewed 4 July 2016

We stayed here last October and enjoyed our stay-dated but clean. This week we stayed there one night. The place has sold and very dirty and in need of repairs. Sink didn't drain, tub filthy, vanity bulbs so dusty above sink not very bright. Very dirty. I was really disappointed. The location and views are wonderful. It is a shame to let something like this happen.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Evelyn1946
Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

Very friendly he is trying to fix things around. Very helpfull. Anything we asked he is trying to accomodate. Need improvement in regards to the kitchen staff. Some of the food was cold. Absolutely love the area. Coffeemakers in room No wifi in room but in the lobby. Owner is planning on improvement

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

My son and I headed down to West Virginia for a two day fossil collecting trip. One of the sites was near Marlinton so we gave the Motor Inn a shot (not much else around). We arrived very dirty, hungry and tired. It was just before 8 pm and the restaurant was closing at 8. The very pleasant lady at the desk said we could sit at a table in the bar and eat, the cook would stay a little longer. I asked if it was ok to go in as grimy and grungy as we were - she said no problem. So we did, there were three or four local at the bar and us. I think I was a bit of an unusual sight, but I felt like I was welcome to stay. Menu was basic, my son had a very good burger and I had a good grilled chicken sandwich. The unsweetened iced tea was very good. So off to our room for a much needed shower. A very basic room that has seen better days, but we only really needed a place to shower and sleep for the night. The shower was good and hot but the towels were old and scratchy. The bed I had was comfortable, but the heat was extremely difficult to regulate. Daytime temp was in the 60's but that night it went down to 32. The room got very hot and I woke up several times to try to adjust it. I also had to use the Bible (it was the only thing heavy enough - hopefully the Man upstairs didn't mind) to weight down the curtains that were blowing at almost a 90 degree angle from the window. Returned to the restaurant for breakfast, the only customers, which was inexpensive and good. If you are looking for a three star place, it isn't. If you don't mind shabby, acceptably clean,outdated and perfectly priced this is the place to stay in Marlinton. BTW, we may have been the only guests that night.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlinton
21.7 km away
18 km away
The Inn at Mountain Quest
The Inn at Mountain Quest
#1 of 6 in Marlinton

Been to Marlinton Motor Inn Motel? Share your experiences!