“Pizza on the river”

Mountain Pie Company
Ranked #10 of 54 Restaurants in Hurricane
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I recently met with friends at Mountain Pie's new riverside location. The riverside outside patio was a pleasant setting for a casual evening meal. The service was good and the pizza was average. The sangria and hot chicken dip is very good. I highly recommend this location for a great summer evening relaxing evening meal.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Our second time trying this place and a second terrible experience. We arrived by boat a second time and there were only 5 tables outside and 8 tables inside occupied. We had to intrude on the social event by the employees at the hostess stand to get seated. After being seated we waited for 15 minutes and finally asked for a server. Our server was pleasant and good. Food was good. One ladies room out of service and one stall out of service again. Manager was suppose to come speak with us but just took our appetizer off bill rather than come speak with us. This is one of the few dockside restaurants on river but we will forgo for awhile to see if they can improve their service and professionalism.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I guess the newest location of Mountain Pie Company is so new that it isn't officially on Trip Advisor yet. So please keep in mind this is a review of the newest location which is on the water in St. Albans, but is really only a few miles from South Charleston.
I'm fairly new to the area, but I believe this location used to be Grumpy's?
First, the food: There is an appetizer that features 8 of "Grumpy's famous pepperoni rolls" and my son's inhaled them and fought over the remaining ones. They were served super hot with a good cheese to pepperoni ratio. A quick dip in the cold sauce cools down the rolls and pairs nicely. Our five year old ordered the cheese pizza kids meal and was disappointed...seems the kids meal pizza is a half of their personal sized pizzas. It was basically 2 very small pieces and he gobbled them and the applesauce cup. Our older son ordered the BBQ burger and enjoyed it. My husband loved the fish tacos and said he would order those again. The signature sauce was delicious ( I swiped a bite) but seemed to be used quite sparingly. The Italian Sub was good, but when I asked our server if it was supposed to have lettuce or tomato, she didn't know. It seemed too only have the "warmed" ingredients on it. Again, the house dressing was sparse. Upon checking out the online menu, it should've had lettuce on it. Tomato would have been a welcomed addition too. Otherwise it was just okay. Both my fries and my son's were cold. My husband liked the homemade chips.
On to service.... other than asking the server about the Italian Sub, we rarely saw her! We visited on July 13 and apparently there was a reunion inside as the parking lot was packed around dinner time. The outdoor area wasn't bad, with a few tables full on the lower level, so we were seating in the "higher dining area." We were the second party seated up there out of 8 tables plus a fire pit area and a comfy seating area. Somehow, 3 tables were served before us. Apparently our server was also working the indoor huge party which seemed odd. Not sure why we didn't have the same server as the other tables. So service isn't on par yet. I know they are new so I will cut some slack there. However, I really think they should consider carafes or pitchers of water for the outdoor tables. It was extremely warm even with the canvas (?) covers over the dinning area. Add that to a missing server and no breeze and entrees were taking forever and our glasses were empty quickly. In fact, when yet another table got their food (Before us), from who I am assuming to be a manager because he was in khaki shorts and a polo shirt rather than shorts and a MPC tee, the table asked for water refills. Then a second table asked. At that point I was ready to ask too, but then my son moved my attention to a questionable looking cat who was walking around the deck. I assume he probably thirsty too!! I was quite disappointed that the ?manager? didn't scan the other tables, notice no one had water left, and offer refills all around. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I really hope if MPC comes across this review they will consider the water carafes!!
No spoon with the applesauce, and the server was missing again, so my son basically drank it like a drink.
I hope they improve service because it's a great location and would be a neat place to take family and friends who are visiting the area!!

Reviewed 17 July 2017

We actually ate at the new location on Rt 60 Macorkle in Jefferson (St. Albans). The Pizza was really good. Can order any combination you want or one off the menu. Beer selection was OK. Could have had more local craft beers on tap.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

We actually ate inside, wanted the AC. Had a fish aquarium my mom watched. We ordered the Penne Pasta & added the shrimp for $2 well worth it. Portion was big. We also had a side of fries, nice portion. Had cheesecake sampler, it really is a sampler, pieces are very small. Really liked will be back. Had pizza 2 nights before is why we did not get pizza. I look forward to trying more of their offerings on future visits.