“Bad Crab Cakes”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2015

We were there March 8, 2015. Because this is a seafood restaurant, I thought the seafood would be good. Our server could not recommend the shrimp scampi. She did not give details but basically didn't recommend it. I ordered the crab cake dinner. The fries were okay but I've had better fries. I couldn't eat the crab cake - it was too spicy and gray in color. Crab meat is supposed to be white. It didn't have a good taste and I had to send it back. They did give me a discount on the bill. Otherwise, the service was good and friendly. It's a clean place and nice decor. Big disappointment in the food quality for a pricey menu.

1  Thank Janet H

Reviewed 29 January 2015

The drinks and service were good and that was about all. The strip steak I had was overcooked and tough. The mashed potatoes were powdered (I've worked in the restaurant business). My wife had the scallops and angel hair, both had a strange chemical taste. The angel hair was so overcooked it fell apart when picked up with a fork. Very disappointed considering the price range and reviews of this restaurant. Would not recommend it.

1  Thank juwilso
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

The service at this restaurant was top shelf and the food was outstanding all we expected and better. We will be back the next time we visit Canaan.

1  Thank bobjoesmiley
Reviewed 11 October 2014

Joined friends for dinner at the Golden Anchor on Thursday evening. They were really busy and still friendly, good service and great scallops! The new owners are doing a terrific job and the setting is beautiful..

2  Thank Anne B
Reviewed 11 October 2014

My wife and I had a very disappointing experience here. We were reluctant to criticize, but are still talking about it three weeks later, so felt we needed to post this. We went here with a lodge group of senior citizens from Ohio and West Virginia. We arrived for a 6 p.m. dinner and were supposed to be out by 7:30. At 7:30, we had just gotten our salads. The wait for lukewarm pasta and chicken was another hour -- 2-1/2 hours altogether. I don't think there was anyone else eating there at the time. If there were, it was just one or two couples. The restaurant managers knew we were coming, as we were given our menu choices in advance. Perhaps they were short-staffed, but no matter, it was just a bad experience. Another reviewer has mentioned the hillside parking lot and the steps. There also is a ramp available, but the walk from the lot still is a difficult one for many in a seniors group. This was supposed to be the best place in the area, but didn't live up to its reputation.

1  Thank Tim P