“Great find!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2014

We had a wonderful dinner at the Golden Anchor. The staff was attentive and professional, the food was excellent. This was definitely the shining star of our dining experiences during our week in WV! The restaurant is in a beautifully restored old barn in lovely setting. The food was perfectly prepared. It is a very short drive from many lodging options in the Canaan Valley and definitely worth it.

1  Thank Carla G

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had read good reviews of the Golden Anchor and were eager to go there. They open at 5 PM. They have new management and seem to be struggling. There were only 3 or 4 other tables filled and it is a huge place. We sat on the covered porch and it WAS lovely. But the temperature started dropping and we went inside. It is kind of pricey for the area. I was looking for something that would be in the style of the retarurant but not too expensive, so i chose a crabcake sandwich. My husband ordered cold boiled shrimp. Both had an odd, over-spiced flavor. I guess the crabcake was more Maryland style than low country South Carolina, but it was mushy and didn't have much crab. Service was pretty good. It's advertises as a seafood restaurant, but the seafood was too expensive for me to try. The parking is difficult. The lot is on a hill above the restaurant and several steps down to the entrance. Not too good for old people with bad knees. I would only recommend if you are accustomed to paying $25+ for a meal.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoy a wonderful meal on our 30th Wedding Anniversary with friends and family! The new owners made us feel welcome and they didn't even mind us just showing up with a group of 15. We actually inconvenienced them by not calling ahead, but they made us feel like it was no problem! The entire staff was friendly! I will return and make plans to stay at their beautiful cabins!

1  Thank pcherij2016
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Took mom and wife out to the Golden Anchor for dinner while attending the WV state HOG rally at Canaan Valley State Park. Wife ordered crab legs 1# order, this was the first time in 35 years she gave me some of her legs. They were the largest legs I have ever seen in a restaurant. Lots of meat, cleaned, hot and flavorful. Mom & I had stuffed Shrimp and they were also great. Place was packed and they only had 3 waitress for the area and they were very attentive. Will be back, want a great meal and service in the middle of the mountains of WV, go to the Golden Anchor you will not go away disappointed.

1  Thank sg107e
Reviewed 3 July 2014

In the middle of nowhere on the side of the road, the Golden Anchor was very comfortable and satisfying. Steak good, sides good, service very good. The porch view was lovely - save a barking dog at a house next door. This is a nice restaurant - not a chain and the décor would lend itself to one spiffing up a little (not that anyone does that anymore). Skip the Hickory Room at Canaan Resort Lodge and go directly to the Golden Anchor.

2  Thank Sally M