New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of BEST WESTERN Tumwater Inn

BEST WESTERN Tumwater Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tumwater
Victoria, BC
“Better than expected; would return again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We arrived rather late in the evening (9:00 pm) after travelling for about 7 hours. The GPS found the hotel quickly, but like others have mentioned, getting into the parking lot was tricky and we overshot it and had to do some fancy maneuvers to turn around. It would be really helpful if the hotel provided better signage to the entrance. The two woman on the desk were very helpful and friendly. My husband forgot our Rewards card, so they had to look it up. Unfortunately, they could not find it right away, so they gave us a regular room. When we came back with the luggage, they apologized and said that they found the number and had upgraded our room for the same price. Since the outside of the hotel looks rather shabby in the dark (and hidden behind empty parking lots, gas stations, and other buildings, I thought we would be in a shabby room. To our great surprise and relief, the rooms were newly renovated and looked great! The bed was outstanding, including nice crisp sheets and comfy pillows. The clerk at the front desk provided a suggestion for a quick, but good and relatively healthy dinner down the block, which turned out to be just what we needed. There were no noises from the street (we were on the opposite side from the street), and my husband is super picky so that is important to note. However, there were some loud noises before we went to sleep around 11:00 that seemed to be from someone having a shower (two different times) -- water running/pipes. Other than that, we had a great sleep and awoke to a hearty buffet breakfast usual for Best Western and similar mid-priced hotels. There were no surprises at check-out, and the final price with taxes was about $95.00. The only concern I had was when a man asked the housekeeping staff to let him into his room because he locked himself out. She immediately said yes and went with him. I'm not sure how hotels deal with this normally, but I wondered about security, identification, and proof that he was, indeed, the person from the room. He didn't look shady, but that's not the point!! Maybe some sort of security measure was taken, but it left me wondering. Overall, I would stay at this Best Western again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Select a room on the other side from the street to avoid excess noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Access to property is awkward, (whole city area is awkwardly designed) room door would not latch without messing with it and was not latched by housekeeping when I returned on my second night. I got a mumbled "sorry about that" as a response at checkout. No elevator. Express checkout would have been nice. Prefer 3 towels instead of 2 in a king room. When I made reservation, they said they would look my # up and when I checked in, they hadn't, so I asked the lady to do so and need to follow up to ensure that happened. Other than that, staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was impressive. Newspaper available, windows open for fresh air, fridge/ microwave, nice shower, quiet hotel, well appointed and clean rooms. Especially nice was the bedding. It was a firmer pillow-top than I prefer, but piles of pillows and nice blankets.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Richland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The night I check in, the gal behind the desk was super helpful and friendly. I noticed my room rate was incorrect, not what I'd paid on-line. I could tell that she would have wanted to explain something to me if it weren't so late at night, but what she said was, "I'll take care of it, no problem." Big friendly smile, problem solved.

Upon check-out the next morning, the two people behind the counter (Courtney and Mr. Munn) were puzzling about my bill, trying to figure out what the gal the night before had done to it. I explained that my room rate was wrong and the gal had fixed it. They started mocking me! "Yep. Ninety-nine cents." They went on and on together, mocking me for saving a whopping .99. I didn't understand what they were talking about at all. I looked at the printout I'd just been given. It said my room rate was $88.xx (I forget the change amount). I remarked to my friend, "That's more than .99, I think I'm being mocked."

The two behind the counter heard me and were completely unmoved or embarrassed by their behavior. They continued to mock me for pushing for .99 in savings. It wasn't until much later that day that I realized that, if my bill had been itemized, I would have seen that the $88.xx amount included taxes, etc. My base rate was still incorrect (the gal changed it from 79.89 to 79.00) but if the two people at the counter had said, "Oh, I totally see how that can be confusing. The bill isn't itemized, that amount you're seeing is the total with taxes and everything." Neither of them did any of that. They just mocked me. When I repeated, "I think I'm being mocked and I'm not liking it." Mr. Munn said, "Would you like a comment card?" I said no thank you and walked away. I have Trip Advisor for a comment card, and I'm pretty sure it will be more effective.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dellaina H
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Staying here since my usual place in Seattle was booked tonight. The clerk at the front desk was very pleasant at check in. The room was very clean and pleasant. All this with a hotel under renovation. Well done folks.

Room Tip: Any room is good. i chose the ground floor simply because I would be out and about early.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

This hotel was very clean, the staff helpful and friendly. Very easy walking distance from shopping, restaurants and Starbucks. Nice breakfast with enough variety to please most.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumwater
0.6 km away
2.7 km away
Comfort Inn Tumwater
Comfort Inn Tumwater
#3 of 7 in Tumwater

Been to BEST WESTERN Tumwater Inn? Share your experiences!