“Great for shelter or travelers” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Tumwater-Olympia Inn

BEST WESTERN Tumwater-Olympia Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tumwater
Lacey, Washington
“Great for shelter or travelers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Washington is currently experiencing major sweeping power outages, and my house is currently dark and about 45 degrees F inside. I am a local looking for a warm bed while the utility crews work their butts off to repair extensive damage from a sudden winter storm.

I have a bad cold and arrived early for check in, but was able to sit on a very comfortable couch and wait in the clean, warm lobby drinking some complimentary tea (coffee also available, and cool water). The front desk staff was very nice. The room, I found, was a single queen bed and I had arrived with my roommate, who is a good friend of the opposite sex. I called the desk, really out of it, and asked if they have any cots; I had one within five minutes, fully made up and actually rather comfortable. The housekeepers were friendly and they did a great job. I've stayed in much "fancier" hotels and had far worse service and crappier rooms for much more money. The parking lot here is large and there were plenty of places available near the doors, even with plowed snow lying around. They are in the middle of a remodel as I write this. However, I haven't heard any work and it isn't really in your face or anything at this point. There is a good sized fridge in my room along with a standard microwave and a huge flat-screen TV with a good Comcast cable plan. The furniture is comfortable in both the room and the lobby, and the room is quiet and the temperature well-controlled. I am picky about bed comfort but this bed is nice. The lamps on the nightstands are a little weird, I think they need replacing (they flicker now and then). It feels secure in here, though. The room is set up with a vanity outside the bathroom, which I like, and it sounds dumb to say so but the toiletries are neatly arranged. An ice machine and soda machine are right around the corner but they are not noisy at all and I can't hear traffic out in the hall even though the elevator is busted and I am right by the stairs.

I want to commend the housekeeping department, having worked in housekeeping for two other local hotels, each of which was about twice as expensive as this one and really dumpy and cheap. They did a fantastic job. My OCD roommate didn't bat an eye at the place. I don't even really like Best Western as a brand based on past experiences at other locations, but this one is nice and I have no complaints. I will recommend it to family next time they visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Clean and what you would expect from this kind of hotel. The first room they gave me hadn't been cleaned but that took about 2 seconds to get me a new room. Nice to have hot tub and laundry. I was here for 4 weeks on business. After 4 weeks the breakfast gets old but is always nice to have there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Cleveland, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Needing a place to overnight before touring the Olympic Peninsula, we opted for the Best Western Tumwater Inn. We have quite a history of staying at Best Western's and usually are pleased with our hotels. We were not disappointed with this one. The night front desk staff the night of our stay were exceptional in their greeting when we arrived. Check in was quick and we were on our way to our second floor room. However, this property does not have an elevator. But, the clerk asked that was a problem, which it wasn't. Room was very roomy and had recently been up dated. When turning on the tv, it would not come on, a call to the front desk, and the clerk was right there to assist.

The only complaint that we had was the lack of signage indicating the entrance. We could see the sign and the building, but the only sign we saw was for the Mexican restuarant nearby. We overshot the turn in and nearly had an accident trying to get back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill C
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

Well appointed bedroom, very clean and serviced every day. Pleasant staff and good breakfast

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We first visited this hotel in March/11 as part of our 40th anniversay mini trip. Review in Trip Advisor, including a comment on "minor" dissapointment that hotel did not acknowledge our 40th wedding anniversay like several others. Received surprise contact from Hotel Manager, Rick Zambrowski, apologizing for oversight and offering complimentary one night stay. We availed of this offer on recent mini trip and again found the hotel to meet our expectations, with proviso that I also agree with one prior rating comment that you can easily hear showers taken in nearby rooms. Hotel is dated, but currently undergoing updates and renovations and perhaps this will also address the noise issue. The significant plus is the friendly staff who obviously subscribe to value of providing quality customer care. We intend to return in the future, once renovations are complete.

Room Tip: Rooms in rear are much quieter