“Better than your average hotel restaurant”

Ports of Call Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #159 of 765 Restaurants in Tacoma
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Good options for breakfast if you don't want the continental breakfast that comes with your stay.
The fish and chips were so good! Nice and crispy and a great portion size of fish. It did come with coleslaw that I didn't think had much flavor, but I really only wanted the fried stuff. Also good selection of beer and wine.
Room service from the restaurant was great too. Ordered a French Dip with fries and a side salad. When ordering the waitress suggested cheese on the sandwich, which was great. Roast beef was piled high and the fries were nice and crispy and a little on the salty side, but that's how I like them! Salad was a good size and nice and fresh.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Unbelievable prices for such quality and large portions. Best prime rib dinner
I have had in years. Actually rare with good sides. Service was quick and
the staff were great.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

This restaurant is delicious. They have a variety of foods and a friendly staff. I highly recommend if you are staying in the hotel or in the surrounding area.

Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

I have to admit I was impressed by the décor and dining atmosphere. I generally stay away from hotel restaurants, but I was overall pleasantly surprised. My one critique is that I requested fruit instead of fries with the fish fry, and no coleslaw, but was brought French fries and coleslaw. Beyond that, everything else met my expectations for a dinner.

Reviewed 10 June 2016

Visiting Seattle on vacation, staying in this nearby La Quinta Inn which has the Ports of Call restaurant attached. We were dragged out after having to take 2 hours to traverse Seattle through one of their notorious rush hours. Nearby dinner options were sparse and we didn't want to go far, so we wondered--go here? order in? Wife went online and found no recent reviews and the year-old ones were discouraging--"I should have gone next door to Subway." Well, we decided to take our 10% off coupon (for being La Quinta guests) and get supper served on a plate without needing to drive.

The decor of this restaurant is American motel. The service staff was quite nice, we were seated immediately. The restaurant is a bar area that's roped off and you must show i.d. to enter there, 21 and over only. The full-service bar, we were told, was capable of making just about any standard cocktail, but we opted for a Washington Merlot for our dinner drink.

My wife, being virtuous, dined on a chef salad. She was quite happy; the last chef salad she'd had was unfortunately assembled out of pre-packaged ingredients. This one had a chefs touch, visually attractive presentation, lots of good ingredients topping the greens. Might have improved it, she said, if it had a few croutons.

Mine was the petite tenderloin--a five ounce steak and sides is the limit of my appetite nowadays. The steak was superb; the chef seared the outside to an intense smokey perfection, and the inside was just as I ordered. Alongside was a mound of garlic mashed redskin potatoes, just the correct amount of garlic in them, and some mixed veggies--a little cauliflower, a broccoli floret, some red and yellow pepper, and a lot of green beans. This was the only shortcoming; the flavors were excellent, but the beans had not been cleaned thoroughly and for a couple of them I had to bite off the stem.

On the morning after, I wandered down for the breakfast hour, and the La Quinta Bright Side fare that's free to guests was out--but it was pretty lame even by La Quinta standards, and they offer a hot breakfast menu for those who want something more substantial. So I got their $4.99 special, the Denver Scramble, which was indeed a nice portion of scrambled egg with the Denver omelet ingredients sauteed in. It came with a side of potatoes, essentially a big rectangular cake of shredded russets, which was pretty good. Now, I was a little confused by the collision of trhe free bright-side breakfast and the restaurant menu--I already had a styrofoam cup of their free breakfast coffee, and the waitress delivered a ceramic mug full of Joe, so I got to drink from something more pleasing--the Denver scramble comes with toast but I skipped it reasoning that I could walk over to the free bar and make my own if I took a notion.And so I wondered to myself: how do they know if people walking in off the street are not La Quinta guests? Could someone just pop in, act like they have a room, indulge in some generic corn flakes, orange juice, and a bagel, and then leave?

Well, that's a question for them to consider. I come away with the notion that I'm glad I don't trust the short, overly grouchy reviews over on that other four-letter-word review site. The food here was just fine, the service was pleasant, and if I was local and wanted a good mid-priced dinner or an affordable breakfast, I'd certainly return.