“Fascinating”
Review of Museum of Glass

Museum of Glass
Ranked #5 of 82 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Owner description: An international center for contemporary art with a sustained focus on glass.
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Lots of unusual things to look at and see how it's done in live glass blowing area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Thinking we wanted to try something new, my husband and I decided to spend our afternoon at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma. We weren't really sure what to expect considering that the reviews online were so hot and cold. Well I am here to tell you...it was rather a disappointment. I really tried to give this place a chance, but it was really a pretty big waste of time and money. The outside architecture is very cool and leads you to believe that the exhibits inside will mirror...not so. The exhibits they were showing this month, were boring and redundant to say the least. There were only four small exhibit rooms and a "Theater". We kept saying to each other, "Is this really it?". We were wanting to be wowed and just weren't.

I do have to say the coolest and most interesting part was the glass blowing/making demonstrations they do inside "the cone". It was very cool to watch the processes of what they do. Also, if you're planning to buy something in the gift shop...bring a lot of money. They were selling something as simple as a hamburger shaped glass bead for $40...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! No thanks.

Sorry Museum of glass...I really tried to give you a chance. You just didn't deliver.

3  Thank ashley16nicole
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I didn't know what to expect, we had friends come in from abroad and wanted to show them the area. Beautiful glass art everywhere, but the hot shop is the show. They were making fluted goblets the day we were there, and in about an hour had succeeded in making 1 goblet. Many broke and or didn't turn out right. No wonder this stuff is do expensive-5 people doing this and 1 goblet. I could watch all day and still be interested.

1  Thank 1tracman
Reviewed 7 March 2012

There are better glass exhibits outside the museum and in the hotel Murano. Go inside if you want to see glass blowing, though very few exhibits.
Three's also a kids area inside.

1  Thank TomInPDX
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The exhibit is not very extensive, but watching the glass blowing was cool. Honestly, the art work outside the museum exceeds what's inside.
There's also an area for kids to play inside the museum.

Been to Museum of Glass? Share your experiences!