“Run as fast as you can”

Ranked #40 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Phoenix
“Run as fast as you can”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Our family travels a lot. We stay in a lot of different cheap hotels. Some are decent, others are terrible. This gets a hands up terrible award. The hotel staff was unfriendly and uncaring. The carpet in our room had paint splattered all over it. The bed was disgusting. The top blanket had brown stains on it and the room two doors down looked like someone was living there permantly with a make shift kitchen in front of it. The pillows were so terrible I went down to the lobby to exchange them and the desk clerk acted as if she was disgusted that I would have the nerve to do so. There were two of us staying in the room and only one washcloth. We had to share. The breakfast consisted of cereal and toast. when a hotel charges you money to stay in their place, the least they could do is treat you nicely and provide clean linen and a decent bed. From my persepective, this is a complete rip off.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank baggagehandler
Beverly M, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge & Suites Spokane, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
While there were certainly problems with your stay (top blanket/paint), I would figure that would give this reviewer enough to write about. But no, that is not enough apparently. The breakfast consists of more than cereal and toast. Hard boiled eggs, orange juice, apples, oatmeal, doughnut holes, coffee, tea, milk, jams, butter are all served along with that cereal and three types of bread. It is a free continental breakfast, served everyday with consistency. No, those people with the "kitchen" were not living here, though they did stay a length of time. They were an alarm install company working in the area for a bit, and when we saw this out front of one of there rooms, we told them they could not have it there. But before we could handle it, you took a picture. I see no reason why you would have to share a washcloth during your stay, we had more, and would have been happy to provide it for you had we known of the issue. Again you had some valid points here on issues we have been handling, but it seems that some of what you have said here are untruthful or over reactions. Safe travels to you and yours!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Portland
Reviewed 27 April 2012

At first look i was pleased with the hotel and the room. The building had obviously been updated and had a nice courtyard view rather than the typical parking lot. Unfortunately, the pleasure didn't last long as I quickly started noticing how dirty the place was inside and out.

The newer vinyl siding looked like it had been through a storm in the dustbowl- a quick pressure washing would do wonders, but inside was even worse. What I first saw as a cute and nicely updated room went sour as I sat on the bad and saw heavy dust under and around the television as the sunlight hit through the window. You could see where a quick wipe had been the method of cleaning around the TV for a very long time. I am guilty of this at home, but at least clean to the edge of what you are trying to avoid a thorough clean.

From there I started seeing bad stuff everywhere. The walls had been covered with some kind of textured paper and then painted, but the bottom edges were all unfinished and oversprayed with one large area ripped completely off (square foot?). The bathroom towel bar had been torn off and reinstalled in a manner that left it an inch from being flush with the wall with all the hradware showing and oversprayed with paint as well. Even worse was an air vent cover that was literally laying on the floor in the bathroom as we arrived. I got down onto the floor and reinstalled it, but we ended up fighting with it the whole time we were there- who wants a hole in the wall in a hotel bathroom? The tub had numerous areas that had been patched with caulking and one area actually looked like it had been painted. The table was so rickety it really wasn't usable for fear the legs would fall off and the accompanying chairs were grossly dirty. Just plain dirty and shoddy all around.

Although the staff was always kind, we didn't appreciate having to keep the doors and window to our non-smoking room closed due to them using the corner of our room as their designated smoking area. In addition, although normally quiet, we learned that things got noisy late at night with what appeared to be employees partying in the rooms with their friends by their conversaations.

How sad to put the money and effort into a hotel like this only to run it into the ground with lack of quality maintenance and upkeep. The hard and expensive part had been done. What a horrible waste. Did I mention the sink vanity had a beautiful granite top? Why bother if you aren't going to keep up your property?

I MIGHT stay there again becauise of the very close proximity of where I needed to be on business, but I would surely mention my last experience and ask that they make sure the room is clean and in good repair.

For the record, I am sitting in a Rodeway Inn as I write this in Salem, OR and it is nothing fancy for surem, but it at least APPEARS clean and taken care of. I mention this only to note that I do not expect luxury on a Motel 6 budget. I think clean is a reasonable thing to expect anywhere.

Hope this helps:)

Room Tip: tell them about reviews claiming the room was really dirty and ask them to make sure yours is well-c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
I am very sorry your stay with us turned out to be so terrible. This room in particular I remember discovering (wallpaper/table), and taking offline right away to be worked on. Though I do not agree with everything in your review, I by no means will attempt to argue with it. At the time you wrote this, the room was pretty much as you said. For this we apologize whole heartedly. We hope if we do see you again, your stay with us will be much more enjoyable!

Travellers are raving about these Spokane hotels

Trail, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed twice as it was close to the airport and it was cheap. The room was comfortable and clean. The driver to the airport was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: They also provide parking if you are flying out.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlanFCastlegar
Thank you for your comment and hope to see you again!
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Make no mistake, at $50 for the night you're getting exactly what you paid for. Luckily my wife and I are more interested in the price point than most other amenities.

There are a couple things that would make this place not so overtly cheap and they're pretty small maintenance things. The first one being our room number was hanging off the door because it had been stuck there with a loop of duct tape.

Another small maintenance thing was that part of our curtains was hanging loose. They still closed all the way, just makes the place look a little sketchy.

My final, and biggest, complaint was the customer service at the front desk. The girl that checked us in, I believe her name was Tawney, didn't seem overly happy with her current life's pursuit and didn't seem to mind letting her body language show it. A simple smile to greet people can go a long way. We asked if there were any good Indian restaurants in the area, she chuckled it off and shook her head saying she didn't and made it seem like a dumb question that no one should ask. There are actual many Indian restaurants in Spokane, we chose Taaj and it was great.

After returning from dinner and a movie, we walked through the lobby to get to our room and were not even glanced at by a different guy working the desk.

Looking for a cheap place to rest your head and don't care about the other stuff? This is it.

• Stayed November 2011
Sorry to hear that your stay could have been better with us. The little things do make a difference your right, and after I came into my current position with the company many of these small things have been fixed. We have also been working on the large things as well (wifi had been another major complaint from others we have worked as an example). As far as your major complaint, the employee in question no longer works for us. Safe travels to you and yours!
spokane,wa
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Dirty Room, big spot in rug as soon as we enter the room, also room look like it had not been vacuum.We had stayed here before but not again. I will send another $50.00 and stay someplace were it is clean!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple