“Grr-ood food”

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #28 of 267 Restaurants in Puyallup
Price range: USD 5 - USD 20
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

I had heard nothing but good about Black Bear so when it opened here I had to try it. That and I know one of the chefs. I haven't had such a good waffle ever. Big and fluffy. And the chicken?! Amazing. I can not wait to go back!!

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Stopped for breakfast on the way out of Mt. Rainier NP. Great food for a good price. Plenty of parking. Great staff. Was a bit slow on the delivery, but the food was hot. Very large portions.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

We were so excited to see that Black Bear Diner came to Puyallup. Honestly- it's a mixed bag with this brand of restaurant, as far as quality of service and food. However it's always a step up over IHop or Denny's.

However- at least for this visit this new location in Puyallup was a homerun. I'm always skeptical trying a new spot too close after they open but they seem to have gotten the hang of things pretty quick.
I am one of those people who can eat breakfast any time of day and that's what I Love about Black Bear. :D My husband on the other hand has tried more of their other items.

I ordered the french toast with bacon and eggs. French toast was awesome and the bacon wasn't too shabby- it's not just those little thin slices of pork scabs. It's thick and chewy and it was cooked just right! Eggs- well- they weren't disgusting.

My husband ended up ordering the turkey club because they were out of the first thing, which I think was their version of a french dip. But that's sorta understandable at 8:30 at night. Sorta. He liked the club.

Service and food was decent. I would definitely go there again. Can't say it will remain this great but we've always liked the Black Bear Diner menu so it's a plus to have another option.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit for my friend and I. The hostess and the waitress both asked and we told them.

The portions are large and their menu had a section for smaller fare. Prices were what we expected.

My friend ordered chicken strips and fries. She had to pick off the batter because it was too salty. The fries were too salty as well.

I ordered the opened faced hot turkey sandwich and fries. The turkey was dry and salty. I had to ask for more gravy to help combat the dryness...luckily the gravy wasn't salty. My fries, as well, were salty and inedible.

The waitress, Ashley, asked of our experience as we're eating. We shared the condition of our food. She said she'd talk to the kitchen and never offered to take the dishes away. Then she disappeared for the rest of our meal never offering to refill my friend's soda.

The manager came up next with the same inquiry and we told her the same. She made excuses as to the condition of the chicken strips; the batter on her strips must have been dipped at the bottom of the bowl where all the salt had collected before frying. She said she'd talk to the kitchen but never offered to replace any portion of our meals. We never saw her again either.

The waitress came back after we asked the bus boy for our bill. She apologized for the batter as the chicken came ore-battered. (So clearly the manager didn't know what she was talking about.) She said she hadn't come back as she saw the manager there and intimated she hoped the manager would've taken care of us...clearly that didn't happen. She told my friend since you ate the chicken, as she looked at the debris of batter mingled with her fries, I'll see if I can reduce your meal cost of give you a free dessert. No recompense for me.

This was a sad first experience at Black Bear Diner. They made a poor choice in not fixing our meals especially with all the eateries surrounding them. They definitely made my first experience memorable...in the worst way. I will not be back.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Six of us met at Black Bear at 5:45pm there were other people waiting to be seated. The hostess said it would be about 20 minutes, so we waited. People continued to come in and were told the same time frame, some stayed, some left. When we were finally seated there was a huge section of empty tables. My only guess is they don't have enough staffing or they don't know how to schedule.
The food is okay, the draw must be that on one plate at least two people could eat off that plate. We would not wait 20 minutes again to eat there. Prices are on the higher side for that kind of comfort food.