“Pass”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Los Angeles, California
“Pass”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was certainly a let down. The cleaning staff was blaring radios from multiple rooms while preping rooms. I have never stayed in lodging where it is permissable for staff to yell down the halls. Unbeliveable. This is not a fair value as the beds are of poor quality and the bedding quite old. Yuck.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank 32655Visitor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 20 September 2011

WORST IDEA EVER!!!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!! HORRIBLE MANAGER!!!! HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!

So my husband, son and I wanted to stay at Manresa Castle for our FAMILYmoon. I called at the beginning of the week and made reservations for the weekend. When we arrived we noticed that it wasnt what we thought it was, the yard is really small and the castle itself is surrounded my a hospital, hospital parking lot, a field of weeds and behind it a main road. Im thinking thats why the pictures are all taken from one angle.
We go inside to check in and find that no one is there. We can hear two people talking who turned out to be the manager (guy with a white pony tail) and a woman named Kerri. They are talking loudly about how reservations had been messed up due to new staff. Their conversation went on for about ten min. Finally I had enough and said "hello is someone here" Finally Kerri came out. It turned out that they had lost our reservation even tho we had the confirmation number, they said they would fix it by sending us to a "really nice " cottage that they had. It was one of the best rooms. They said it was outside the hotel and that we were able to stay in it for the same price as our original rooms. I said no thank you that we wanted to stay in the rooms we originally had reserved because they were actually in the castle and all Kerri kept saying was that they were not able to do that. Finally i agreed and she said to come back at four that the room would be ready she had to call and kick the current person out. After she called them she informed me that the couple was far away but they would be turning around right away to come back and move out of the room so it might me till after four! I said it better not be after 4. The check in time is 4 and if i am paying for a room it will be for the whole night not when someone feels like returning to move out of it.
After returning to the castle to check in at 3 15 we discovered that the manager actually charged us an extra twenty dollars and didnt inform us at all. I wonder if he thought that maybe we wouldnt check our reciept. Anyways when i mentioned this to him he told me that i should be happy because of the room i was getting now; i told him "no im not happy we agreed on a price and this was your fault to begin with" he got mad, grabbed a 20 dollare bill out of the till and literally threw it at me (not hard because its a bill, but who honestly does that) then he told me that i should be happy with the room i got and that he was already discounting it for me! WHAT!!! he messed up on my reservations; not me!! I never wanted that room i wanted the original room; he found out that i work at a law office and he told me "we dont hire attorneys we hire lawyers" All I kept thinking was What the hell is this guys problem?? He then would walk away turn back around and yell at me again. I could not believe this. The hotel was full of guests and i found this so rude/unprofessional. I asked him for the owners name and number which he never gave to me but instead only gave me his information because he said he was the "vice president" i said great i need the number to the owner! he never gave it to me; just kept refusing!
We went to the room that was so called "GReat" but it was horrible. It was next to the main road with a sliding glass door that wouldnt even lock or close all the way! I walked in saw that and had enough!! Went to the front desk ; voided my payment! gave him back his twenty dollars and then called my bank and blocked any payments to them!
My husband, son and I got back in our car and drove to Poulsbo and stayed in a really clean/cute hotel!!!!!!!! I WILL NEVER STAY IN THE MANRESA CASTLE AGAIN!!! NEVER!!! and i will find out the owners information and be sure i speak to them.!!!

Room Tip: Never go here!!! Not worth your time, ferry cost or gas!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank camille w

Travellers are raving about these Port Townsend hotels

Reviewed 9 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here after finding most of Port townsend booked up. We booked online and found the rate not too bad. Upon arrival we were kind of disappointed in the outside of the Castle. It does need a lot of work and it's in a not so pleasant area really. They could spruce up the grounds, and weed, and make the entry way nicer for sure. The location is away from town so you do need to drive a few minutes to get to the other restaurants and shops which we didn't really mind.
Did we like it though? YUP.....totally up our alley. It was old with pictures of the history on the hallways, and we could imagine ghosts and all kinds of interesting history there. Our room had a private bathroom and was quite basic but comfy. We felt they could have added to the room's ambiance with nicer pictures, wallpaper depicting that period, or something....it was plain. But, we did like the place overall - we like old things and antiques and browsing at old relics and we got to do that and imagine the history of the Castle and what it was like 'back then'.
We didn't see any ghosts, just heard loud music from a wedding going on. My husband slept thru it, but it was fairly loud......but I was okay with it.
One really great thing? The desk gave us coupons for breakfast......free and absolutely fabulous breakfasts in the restaurant. Lovely, huge, and delicious.
The lounge was also quite nice at the end of the evening.....good drinks and comfy.
We just felt that the entire place could do with a fix up to make it fabulous.....it has such potential. It could be a mini Empress Hotel like in Victoria, BC.
Overall, we found it clean, and comfy and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. It was a good deal for the money.....the breakfast alone was a stand out and worth a lot if you were paying for it. So, we were happy.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jandrews57
Vista, CA
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is a really big old formerly fancy Victorian mansion/castle. That means it has tons of charm and atmosphere, gorgeous, lovingly restored woodwork, a unique exterior... but be prepared for some of the old, funkiness to be reflected in bathrooms and such. Back in the day, they didn't have floor plans to accommodate huge modern bathrooms. The bathrooms are different in each room -- sometimes squeezed into a tiny closet space, sometimes shared down the hall, sometimes nice and big. If you care about bathroom space, make sure you ask when booking for a full-sized bathroom. Personally, I don't care and saved money by choosing a smaller, funkier bathroom. Beds are nice, the hotel was quiet, the staff was super-friendly. Love the unique vibe there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kimjoy_Vista
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My sister and I visited Pt Townsend and I suggested the "castle" since I hadn't stayed there in 12 years. We really enjoyed the history and the period decorations and style of the hotel. It was clean, fairly priced and the package we got had a great drinks/appetizer for two in the Castle Key Lounge. I would HIGHLY recommend the cheese platter. Some of the best I've ever tasted. Again, the style of the room and the furnishings were authentic and tasteful. Even if you don't stay here, I would suggest you come in for a drink and have a look around. The morning continental breakfast was very nice and in a room tucked downstairs so it was quiet and private. The staff person managing kept it clean and well stocked.

Our room faced the ocean so I can't comment on the rooms that face inland and probably do overlook the QFC grocery store as other reviews have referenced. Plenty of hot water, towels and a ceiling fan in the room. No complaints at all on our visit. If you're looking for a resort or spa, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a clean, non-cookie cutter room, I suggest the Manresa Castle (although it doesn't look like a castle, but more like an old Victorian house).

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get the ocean view. So worth the money.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1.4 km away
Aladdin Motor Inn
Aladdin Motor Inn
#10 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!