“Great Place!”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Olympia, Washington
“Great Place!”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

My husband and I were there for a wedding at the museum next door and the hospitality was excellent! Great location and extra cozy rooms. Highly recommend it! Great for groups of people to book the whole thing, too (like we did)

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the marina
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Courtney H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Swan the weekend of Nov. 12, 2011. We were on the second floor and had a lovely view of the water and boats. Our room was well-appointed, and most importantly, perfectly clean. Lots of coffee and tea available, a fridge,microwave, and a good location, just steps from downtown. The staff was very friendly. Hope we can get back there! Kathy and Craig Lesley.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I stay at The Swan once a year when I visit Port Townsend for an art retreat. The service is good and the people are very friendly. I started out in one of the small rooms on the ground floor and then moved to one of their cabins. I've never stayed in any of the rooms on the higher floors because there's no elevator and I do not pack light.

The ground floor room I stayed in was small but charming and cozy. The cabin is of course bigger, but still very cozy and my home away from home with everything one could possibly need for a week-long stay: microwave, refrigerator, free internet and a gas fireplace to keep you toasty. There's a supermarket in town that is open 24 hours for the ultimate in convenience and the cabins have their own designated parking spot just steps from your front door. Also worth noting, the local pizza shop, Waterfront Pizza, is SO GOOD and they deliver. :)

Many shops and restaurants are within walking distance, but I would suggest renting a car to really go exploring. You'll want to visit nearby Fort Worden State Park, which is only about a ten minute drive from this hotel.

And now for the DRAWBACKS:
Right across the street there is a bar where folks like to hang out front and sometimes they can get a bit loud. The window treatments are a bit thin and so the privacy factor can be an issue, especially with the above mentioned bar folk. And one more thing that may or may not be a problem for you (certainly not for me because I stay by myself) but the bathroom wall in the cabin doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. It's more like a partition wall, so there's not a whole lot of privacy to be had there, if you happen to be staying with another person.

But, like I said, this is my home away from home and I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you are disabled or just have heavy luggage, I recommend the ground floo...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
DDobie, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! We’re glad to hear that you’ve had a lovely stay and found a home away from home! We always strive to ensure that your visit is as comfortable and convenient as possible and we’re happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed our various complimentary amenities such as free Wifi and wired internet access, mini kitchenette and propane fireplace. We also offer additional extras free of charge with our cottages, including coffee and tea service, jetted tubs, robes, HDTV, and DVD player.

In regards to the drawbacks you mentioned, we do apologize for any noise that interrupted your stay. The American Legion Hall is across the street and although it is quiet most nights, the occasional merriment of its patrons can be heard. As for the bathroom walls in the cottages; yes, they do not reaching the ceiling, but we consider it part of their cozy charm. However, all of the bathrooms in our studio rooms are fully enclosed, for guests who prefer such accommodations.

Hope to see you for next year’s art retreat!
Vancouver, Washington, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed in The Swan Cottage #2 in October. My second stay at the hotel, I'd remembered how clean and cozy the cottage had been when I'd stayed here before years ago. The hotel is within walking distance of old town shops and The Swan provides a little map pointing out places to eat nearby.
Our stay was for 2 nights, we parked the car and walked to nearby shops and restaurants. Everything we needed was in the cottage: tv, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, and a gas wood stove that warms up the room in minutes. Even in October, the gardens along the back were still pretty, but a little too cool and damp to sit in our adirondack chairs.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Nice room. Free internet, in room coffee, refrigerator.

Room Tip: I would stay on 2nd floor