“average”

Add it.
Best Buffet Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #240 of 362 Restaurants in Olympia
Reviewed 12 June 2017

I'm leery of places that have superlatives in their names. Best Buffet is certainly not the worst, but it does not live up to its name. Food is rather fresh, and the variety is decent. Better than average buffet prices.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

It's been a while since I visited this restaurant. The owners are a lovely Chinese couple with a couple kids. They are friendly and attentive, but..ah, that but.
The last few times I visited I noticed the eggrolls and other deep fat fried foods were greasy, very dark, and tasted 'off'. It wasn't the ingredients, it was the cooking oil they used...and used..and used. You can't keep using the same oil, especially from day to day. Once it's used up, even if there's still plenty of oil in the cooker, it's DONE, even if that might be fifteen minutes from now. You have to dispose of it and start with fresh. THAT is the problem with this otherwise nice restaurant. They're pushing the limits on their cooking oil, which, too, might not be the best available, just the cheapest. I went there again after my first bout with a grumpy stomach and ascertained that it wasn't my imagination, it was their cooking oil that was upsetting it.

They don't start putting out food until opening, which, I suppose, I can understand, but what they need is more than one cook. Buffet food needs to be hot and continually rolling out of the kitchen. Especially when the state employees show up, they'll clean out a steamer pan in a few moments and then it stays empty.

Sad to say, it's the only Chinese buffet in the Tumwater area. Wish I could say better about it, because the owners are such fine people, but...ah, that but.

Reviewed 29 February 2016

Okay so I got here at 11am, as it says they open up at 11. There were only chicken wings out on the line. That's it. They didn't get the full line full of food till just after noon. I had an easy day ahead and book with me so I stayed to see how long it would take them to get the food out. There were a few other people who came in and saw the situation and left. I chilled and read my book. At noon, I was able to get a plate full of rice and broc and beef, that's it. 12:15 they got most of the food out on the line but still not all. It's close to $10 for the lunch buffet so I was feeling a little cheated that I had to wait for over an hour to be able to eat at the buffet. Now you can order off of a menu too but the buffet is the main reason people come here. Granted, the lady owner was very gracious and apologetic....after the fact. At no time did anyone come to me and tell me that there would be a delay in serving lunch. Nor was I able to ask because everyone (three people total this day) was in the back, preparing lunch!

Now for the food. It's good. Greasy, but good. The fried rice and chow mein noodles are no different that what you get at the deli at Safeway. They do lots of other things though like the broc and beef, chicken and mushrooms, green beans, sweet and sour chicken, gen tso chicken, beef and peppers...they also have a few American items like fish sticks (from the freezer), chicken wings, some skewered chicken that was bright red and tough (?) ribs, garlic bread, poached fish of some sort. No mashed potatoes and gravy which is usually a staple at buffets. They also have sushi too. They really have quite a variety. No dessert except for pudding though.
Lots of room in the dining area and they can handle large groups too.
A little spendy but if you go when they have all the food out, you'll get filled up.
Really, the owners are nice but when you say you're open at 11am, then open at 11am....with food please.
I thought it was rather pricey

Reviewed 21 January 2016

Sadly, probably the best Chinese style restaurant in the greater Tumwater, Olympia, Lacey area. We eat here a couple of times a year because it is reasonably priced and the food is decent. It will never win any awards, but to eat quick (it is a buffet), at a decent price, it works.

1  Thank Turtletech
Reviewed 20 November 2015

Very Good as far as Chinese Buffets go, If you get there before the state employees destroy the chow line, you can do well. Lots of options for a carnivore like myself, I can do 3 plates and never eat rice or veggies...

1  Thank retiredfool