“Great for date night”

Fuji Japanese Steak House
Ranked #272 of 369 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

My husband and I randomly came out to eat here since we just happened to be driving by after finding out our planned dinner restaurant was closed on Sunday. I am so glad we found this spot. From the moment we stepped foot into this restaurant the owner and the cook made us feel extremely welcome. The cook was so funny and kept making jokes. My husband and I laughed so hard all dinner long. Even if the food sucked (which it did not) this restaurant would have been worth it just for the experience. The cook even had my husband get behind the grill and taught him some moves. He even went so far as to put the large cook hat on my husband while my husband attempted to flip knives etc. We love these style restaurants where everyone is sitting around a grill with the cook demonstrating his skills in front of you. But, the aweaomeness doesn't stop here. The food was magnificent! We ordered 2 different types of steak, garlic, mushrooms and it was all fried and seasoned to perfection. The food was so delicious and the portions were so big, we were happy to have leftovers. We attempted to order more food at the beginning (appetizerers) and the owner was so honest with us and told us that it would probably be way too much food for us and that the portions were quite big. When does that ever happen, most restaurants are in the business to sell? We totally appreciated the honesty, and boy was she right! We will definitely be eating here again and telling all our friends about this awesome place. I love supporting local businesses and local families and the people that work here are amazing. Thanks for a great dinner!

2  Thank Kristi H

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

The food was good but they were definitely under staffed. There was only one cook and he was doing everything in the restraint. They messed up our orders and over charged us and weren't being understanding about it. The food is expensive in general. The cook was entertaining but would not go back.

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

Food was good,under staffed, only one chef for whole restaurant - website said discount for active military AND military however server argued it was only for active duty and would not honor it even after I showed her their website-she said it was a mistake...sorry BAD BUSINESS

1  Thank traceyfromlacey
Reviewed 18 February 2016

The chef, BJ, is very entertaining with puns, jokes, songs,and juggling utensils. He's positive and draws the guests into his food prep. The wait staff is disorganized. I had to ask for my green tea, which came with my meal, twice. The water three times. The food cart was short by one full order and so not everybody at our table got their meal at the same time.

Reviewed 8 August 2015

Four of us had dinner here last evening to celebrate a birthday. They weren't busy because we arrived at 5:30 p.m. on a Thursday evening. Consequently, the service was excellent. The chef cooked our fried rice on the grill first, then the meat items (chicken, shrimp, scallops and steak), and lastly the variety of vegetables. He used humor in his presentation and it was a fun time. At the end of dinner they made a big deal out of the birthday celebration and had a nice slice of cheesecake for the birthday person. The others were served a delicious sherbet. My only comment about the meal is that I'm not used to eating one item at a time. We were served a large portion of fried rice first and everyone was eating it while he spent quite a bit of time cooking all the meats for 8 people at our table. (You are seated with others since there are 8 seats around the grill.). By the time he cooked the vegetables, I had already eaten my steak and rice. So, when I go here again I will save some of my rice to eat with the meat and vegetables. Also, it would be fun to go with a group of 8. (Although the others at our table were very nice people so it went well.)

Been to Fuji Japanese Steak House? Share your experiences!