“Wonderful food in a relaxed atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Olga
Doe Bay Resort & Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olga
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We had several great meals during our vacation on Orcas Island, but Doe Bay was our favorite. It's tucked away on the far southeastern tip of the island, with lovely views and well worth the drive if you're staying in Eastsound or further afield. Creative dishes, excellent service, good wine list - and no extra charge for the seal sighting in the water nearby. We'll consider staying here on our next trip; the location is peaceful yet family friendly.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2017

spent 5 days at this resort, in cabin called Agri - 2 bedrooms 1 bath - basic , clean enough, good location......well enough equipped for basic cooking......but the best part is the location - on beautiful Doe Bay at a quiet end of Orcas Island - beautiful water, nice forests and best of the best - 3 beautiful soaking hot tubs in a spectacular setting!

note - some of staff were most helpful - one woman in office was downright rude........see our review of the restaurant - had very mixed experience there.....

Room Tip: we liked cabin Agri above the field - but looked around in Harbor House which is right on the water...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank mooshimom
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Based on the images online and the information on their website, I assumed Doe Bay was more of a cottage community and not such a spread out camp type resort. However, I visited in a large group and the resort was extremely accommodating. The location is perfect and the views are stunning!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at their one and only Treehouse room at Doe Bay Resort for 2 nights this past weekend. We went with our two kids (6 and 8) and they absolutely loved it! It was peaceful, quiet (but yet still very kid friendly), and just beautiful. Here are the "things to know" before you plan your visit with kids :)
- I googled "treehouse hotel in WA" and it came up, and that's how I came across this place. Their website doesn't have the treehouse listed under accommodation so I had to always type "treehouse doe bay" to get to the right page. Since there is only one treehouse you need to book in advance especially during peak season. I booked ours in January for July trip.
- Treehouse is small so it's perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids. There is one bed upstairs (for the parents) and a sofa bed on the main floor. Kids should be old enough to climb up the ladder to upstairs for them to fully experience the treehouse.
- you have to look at it more like "glamping" than a resort/hotel stay. We packed our camping clothes (which means layers) and we were glad we did that because the treehouse has no insulation and it got really cold in the morning and at night. (There are heaters in the treehouse though but we didn't want to leave them on while we were sleeping)
- there is a cabin right below the treehouse. The picture on the website makes it look like it's very secluded but it's not.
- wear shoes! We had flip flops on, and our feet got super dirty walking around.
- there is no shower in the treehouse. Only a flush toilet and a tiny sink to wash your hands. (Also there is no door or a curtain between the living room and the toilet so there is no privacy...) Since the resort is more like a campground, they have a few shared bathrooms & showed near by. Again, we were expecting this trip to be more like camping so it didn't bother us.
- there are no curtains / blinds in the treehouse. Since the treehouse is built up high no one can look into the room.
- no wifi, cell service, TV (only place we had cell service was by the main office/restaurant. We took our iPad with a few movies downloaded for the kids for night time. We also took some card games, a speaker for music, etc. (stuff you take camping for entertainment).
- we spent quite a lot of time at their garden. Kids really liked looking at chickens, vegetables, and beautiful flowers.
- they have a beautiful hot tub but kids are not allowed before 11am and after 6pm. Also keep in mind that this is a "clothing optional" hot tub...
- there is a small playground
- we weren't impressed with the beach area. The water looked dirty and the ground was too rocky. Not a place to swim for sure.
- Doe Bay Cafe was hands down one of the best restaurants we've been to. They said 90% of what they use are grown in Orcas Island (40% is from their own garden). 80% of the food there was vegetable dishes, and a couple of seafood dishes. No meat dishes. If you are foodie you will appreciate their food and presentation a lot. But if you are more of a burger/pizza eaters this isn't a place for you. Our kids are very foodie and like to try new dishes so they absolutely loved everything. They don't have kids menu but they can make simple pasta with butter or cheese sauce. For 2 adults & 2 kids, our dinner was $130-150 total per meal (shared 4-5 dishes & a drink each) and our breakfast was $50-$60 total per meal.
- you will see lots of deer :)

This trip was for our 14th wedding anniversary and it truly became one of the most memorable trips for our family. The treehouse experience is one of a kind!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Eri H
Reviewed 9 July 2017

So, I just returned from my second stay at Doe Bay. I was there for four days, five nights and stayed in the Fairie Yurt just below the upper field. What can I say about this place? For me it is paradise. However, I'm not all about luxury accommodations, and if you are, then Doe Bay is probably not for you. There are a few things that could use to be improved (the yurt gets either cold or hot depending on the weather outside, not much ventilation, you're paying over $100 per night to stay in what is basically a glorified tent) - but the experience that I have gotten from staying here is worth it. This experience includes:

Waking to bird song. Walking along the upper field at dawn and dusk and seeing the does feeding. Watching a baby raccoon fish in the cove at low tide. Hearing the breeze through the trees. Sitting in one of the tubs at the spa and looking out over the cove, a view that millionaires would envy. Finding a deserted beach at nearby Obstruction Pass State Park. The feeling of anticipation that I get when I take that last turn at Olga and I know that Doe Bay is only another few miles away. Eating a delicious pizza at the cafe and taking in Open Mike night. Seeing the sky through the skylight as I drift off to sleep. Knowing that I am in a singularly peaceful, unique place.

If you haven't figured it out already, I love this place. I can't wait until my next trip.

Room Tip: Note: I have only stayed in yurts, so I can't speak to the quality of the cabins.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul F
DoeDaddy, General Manager at Doe Bay Resort & Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thanks Paul! You are always welcome at Doe Bay and we appreciate your feedback. We are always trying to improve and we continue to renovate the infrastructure and initiate new and cool installations. It makes us happy to know that we help maintain this sanctuary for you and others like you and that it is appreciated for the value it offers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olga
11.1 km away
16.1 km away
Deer Harbor Inn
Deer Harbor Inn
#1 of 2 in Deer Harbor

Been to Doe Bay Resort & Retreat? Share your experiences!