“Small Place, Great Sushi”
Review of Sushi Joa

Sushi Joa
Ranked #36 of 274 Restaurants in Kirkland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

Short Version: Colleague and I had "omakase" at the sushi bar. It was terrific. Really great selection, well thought out, nicely prepared. All fish was good. Recommended.

Longer Version: my business colleague and I are sushi fans. We like to hit Shiro's when we're in the area, but on a Friday after a long week of work, we were not into driving into Seattle.

Instead we walked down the street to Sushi Joa and sat at the sushi bar.

We arrived early, about 6PM. The chefs were standing around. So... I said "omakase"? There were some sighs and also some grins and jokes (the younger chef offered to make us omakase maki, because maki was all he was allowed to make)... finally the older chef asked how hungry we were ("very hungry"), what kind of sushi we liked ("every kind... had a lot of sushi, never had anything we didn't like"), and if there was anything specific we didn't care for ("nope).

And it began to arrive. Several courses, all thoughtfully put together. Some pretty nice stuff. We're not talking "throw a hunk of tuna on some rice"... but "3 different tuna preparations on a plate" (one piece of each for each of us)... theee types of shrimp including amaebi topped with a quail egg... a generous portion of ikura... another of uni. And the uni was good quality, which is the hallmark of a good sushi-ya.

Many courses. So many I lost count.

While the overall selection was excellent and tasty, the progression wasn't exactly inspired. But it was all darn good.

Two of us got very very full. Two beers each (and I bought the chef a beer at the end of the meal).. total bill was $155 (before tip). I call that reasonable for the quality and quantity delivered.

So... Sushi Joa is small, but it's the real deal.

Recommended.

Reviewed 3 February 2017

This conveniently located sushi spot was just what we were in the mood for. The service is with just the right amount of attention. The food is okay; nothing spectacular or particularly memorable and might be a slight bit over-priced. Still, if we're in downtown Kirkland we may stop in again because it's pretty much the only game in town in that area and it's not terrible.

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

Great food, great service, and a friendly atmosphere. Would definitely go back next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Immediate seating on Sunday night with fast service . We had multiple sushi rolls and separate sashimi pieces. All were excellent. Spicing was as desired. A definite place to return to.

Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

Every neighborhood needs a friendly, high quality sushi spot and this place is just that in downtown Kirkland. The vibe is not pretentious and is very comfortable but they still take their food serious. Whether you want simple and classic or innovative and creative, Sushi Joa delivers. Plus there is an excellent menu beyond Sushi for those who are not Sushi fans. Great service and really good food works for me!