“Older hotel but good value, friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview

Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kelso
Yakima WA
“Older hotel but good value, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed here one night, my wife and our 3 pre-teen kids. Got a great price using Priceline (it was a Monday night stay). Staff was very friendly at check-in, as well as when I called two days prior to make sure we'd have two double beds and a roll-away. The roll-away was already in the room when we got there; appreciated not having to wait.

We had a room off of the east side of the hotel, second floor. No view, but probably quieter, as rooms on the west side face Interstate 5. We slept great. Only gripe was the several long black hairs on the floor of the bathroom. Uggghh.

Kids loved the pool, and me, the spa. They had a fitness center there, but it's your typical "let's stuff two treadmills, a bike, and a weight set in a hotel room and call it our fitness center" set-up. The hotel definitely retains it's 70s vibe, with an 80s-era sports bar. All told, though, a good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank YakimaClan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Seattle, Wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

We have stayed at quite a few properties in recent years, and quite a few RedLions. This property was "just ok". Booked two rooms that connected. Were given a room at the South end of the complex. I believe the north end may have newer rooms. Our rooms were pretty tired and looked out over the pool area. Nothing super bad to report and slept pretty well, just had a room that was pretty old and needed some help. I've said this before about other Redlions, but time to upgrade your rooms, get some flatscreen TV's and modern furniture.

Check in was pretty easy, as was check out. Nice enough people that work here..They are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. The Roaring start breakfast was great! Love the pancake machine..very cool.

Hotel is easy to access, just off of I-5. Really the only 3 star with restaurant/bar on property between Olympia/Tacoma and Portland.. If this is what you need, it really is your only options unless you drive a bit further. Free WI-Fi and parking are always a bonus!

I'm not sure we will stay here again unless we need to. I might drive the extra hour to find a better 3 star property, north or south. Like I said, it was "just ok". Redlion should drop the price on this property until they spend some money to upgrade it. It is not at the same level as other Redlions that i have stayed at in the past.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Donald D
Beaverton, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Red Lion is my hotel of preference when staying in the Pacific Northwest, but this one is not the greatest. The biggest problem, they charge WAY MORE for their rooms than they should (by about $40-50 a night).

Pros: Beds are comfortable.

Cons: "Free wifi" hasn't worked on any of my stays here. The breakfast is sub-par (dry overcooked eggs, overcooked/burnt bacon, etc.) The blinds don't close all the way, so there is a 1 inch crack of light that comes through the window. Staff apparently don't know what the "do not disturb" sign on the door means; I had a cleaning person come into my room while the sign was on the door, realize they shouldn't have, and put the sign on the table inside the door. Staff has been less than helpful (and not very attentive) each time I've been here.

While I prefer to stay at a Red Lion, due to the ridiculous price, along with the above listed cons, I will be thinking twice before staying here again. If the price was reasonable I might consider returning and seeing if they can do better.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Kelso hotels

Mercer Island, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I think I've stayed at this hotel five times. The most recent visit was Sunday, June 12. I stop here on my way back from Portland after participating in an athletic event. I drive from Portland to Seattle while towing a trailer; if I'm too tired to drive the rest of the way home, this seems to be one of the few stops with services and trailer-friendly parking lots.

The hotel is just miserable. The lounge was nice to grab a couple beers and a hot plate before turning in, but now it is closed on Sunday night. The desk clerk literally laughed at my request for advice about a restaurant. She thought that the McDonald's next door was both appropriate and obvious. She also recommended the bowling alley, neglecting my trailer (which isn't easy to move around), and the weather--it was drizzling.

Travelers stay at hotels. People who travel like food and comfort and service. The last time I was here, I met some people from Germany. Can you imagine flying 12 hours or so, then driving two more hours after landing, to arrive in the care of someone who laughs at your request for local advice when you check in?

The AAA room rate is unreasonable for the property (no amenities: the restaurant and lounge were both closed; the "fitness club" is a treadmill and a 15-inch television) in this market. The service is simply absurd. The hotel is nearly empty, and my room is adjacent to said fitness room and on the ground floor. Glacially slow free internet, dirty property, impossibly small bathroom in a king room.

I'm actively searching for another hotel on the drive from Portland to Seattle that has some sensible features and a parking lot that can accommodate a trailer.

Room Tip: book online; walkin rate is 20% higher
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MikeBlas
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

I accompanied my husband on a business trip in February 2011 and we stayed at the Red Lion for 5 nights. This hotel is conveniently located right off the highway in Kelso. I hung out at the hotel for 4 days, so I really appreciated the comfortable room with easy chair and ottoman, in addition to the bed and desk/chair! They have a "Roaring Start" breakfast that's very affordable and offers cold cereal, milk, yogurt, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, bacon, pastries, bagels, a pancake maker, juice, coffee and hot tea. It was perfect for me. Our bathroom was clean but looked like it could use a little updating, and the halls and sports bar (from what I saw) appeared to need some attention. Otherwise, the lobby was very nice, the restaurant where breakfast was served and our room were well maintained. Except for between about 6:30-8:00, when a lot of the business travelers were leaving, it was very quiet. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
6 Thank saturngirl1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelso
0.6 km away
23.8 km away
Clatskanie River Inn
Clatskanie River Inn
#1 of 1 in Clatskanie

Been to Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview? Share your experiences!