“Terrific Italian food”

Spiro's Pizza & Pasta
Ranked #50 of 123 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2016

My wife and I had lunch there last week with yummy salad and outstanding chicken giro sandwich. My pesto chicken focaccia sandwich with salad was supreme. Good wine too.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

I know this place is a local staple, but it was one of the worst dinning experiences I've ever had. My company had its Christmas party in their makeshift meeting room and I became intimately familiar with their way of doing business. The first thing you must understand about Spiros is that twelve-year-olds seem to run the place. Granted, I’ve found that once I reached my thirtieth birthday, anyone younger than 20 looks 12 to me, but the point is made. I arrived for the party 5 minutes early and announced my arrival to the hostess, whose wistfully bored expression instilled in me a healthy skepticism in her restauranting ability. She gave me the once-over and said, “Ya, it’s not exactly ready yet. So you can wait here or something.” I had no idea what the “or something” entailed so I stood awkwardly by the door. Which I assume is what she meant.
Looking around the restaurant, I noticed a decided lack of customers. I asked the hostess if this was usual for a weekday and she responded, “How should I know.” She phrased it as a statement, and I kept to myself from then on. As more members of my company arrived, they were also informed that the room was not ready and told to engage in “waiting or something” behavior.
Finally, the hostess (I can barely bring myself to call her that) informed us that the space was ready and ushered the seven of us into the room. The “meeting room” was simply the main dining room with regular dining tables sitting where you would imagine regular dining tables would sit in a restaurant, covered with white cloths and place settings. Nothing out of the ordinary seemed to have taken place to warrant an extra 15-minute wait. I asked where we were supposed to sit, and the hostess motioned around the room, “Wherever you want.” I swear inside she added, ‘Duh!”
My party sat and a deep resignation hung over us, like when you find yourself in the middle seat of a fully booked airplane. You’re not happy about the situation, but you’re already committed, and now there is nothing to do but suck it up and get through. Ten minutes after we sat down, a waitress showed up to pass out six glasses of water, never saying a word or making eye contact. I briefly considered the possibility that the sixth was a shared glass of some type, but I declined the opportunity and graciously gave my neighbor the glass in hopes that the waitress would be more attentive than the hostess. It was not meant to be. After ten more minutes the waitress came back, presumably to take our order, but I made the mistake of asking for an extra glass of water. She left to get it. Ten more minutes passed.
The service didn’t improve throughout the meal. The food itself was nothing special, but at least the prices were exorbitant. I am thankful for one thing, though. My experience at Spiros gave me one useful tool for gauging the minimum quality of service I can expect from a restaurant. Look at the clocks. I noticed halfway through the meal that the clock above a doorway was off by an hour. My initial impulse was to inform the management, but I thought better of that immediately. Why waste my energies? If it’s two months after daylight saving and your staff is too lazy (or incompetent) to change the time on your clocks, I can only imagine who you hired to cook my food.
I believe the clocks will sum it all up. I can forgive one person’s inability to seat us (or address customers) properly, or a waitress that gives poor service, or a lack of accommodation to business needs, or even a lukewarm, poorly cooked meal. Each of these happens from time to time, but all at once is an epidemic easily spotted by a business’s clocks. Trust me on this one.

1  Thank Josh K
Reviewed 3 September 2016

Not the place to go for atmosphere despite its downtown Gig Harbor location, but the pizza and the service were good. It was just as easy (and comparatively priced) to build your own than go through their offered combinations.

Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

We have been loyal regular customers for years now, but the last few visits have been disappointing. The restaurant has been very dirty and the service, although nice, has been slow and not attentive. Sure hope it cleans up its act because we've always enjoyed the food. We might just stick with the Pick-up versus dining in.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Went today for a girls lunch. 11am 7 of us. Not busy. The food was good but the service was terrible! Not sure if she was new. Didn't know who ordered what. She named it off so we could let her know. She didn't refill our drinks. Another waitress did. She asked one if she needed creamer for her coffee and didn't bring. After we ate she had to come back and ask us what we ordered bcz she had thrown away. Then when she rang up got them mixed up and had to re ring up and still got mine wrong ( I ended up with a free meal). We were so concerned we scrambled to get the cash together bcz we didn't want her to have our cards. The other waitress did come over to check us out so we did give her our cards. I ordered a pizza to go and after I hadn't recvd found out they put on a warmer for you to pick up on the way out but she hadn't mentioned that. I won't be back which is sad bcz I had always enjoyed before

1  Thank irene h