“Fantastic stay in the paradise”
other travellers have booked this property
Sunrise over Puget Sound with Mt. Rainier in the distance
another beautiful sunrise behind Mt. Rainier Beach House & Deck wth Mt. Rainier to the South
Check Availability
Bath with stall Shower
corner of Beach House Deck with owners' housein distance
Moon rising over Puget Sound
all weather Tennis Court
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 18 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
CEFERINO...
“Fantastic stay in the paradise”
Reviewed 14 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

This has been our second summer spending some days at The Beach House in Fox Island. If paradise exists it must be here. Quiet and peaceful, facing Puget Sound, the house is very well equipped. We had a good time with the dinners on the deck and nights on the terrace where we could light a fire and enjoy watching the stars at night. Deck and terrace are just above the sandy beach. The property faces also Mt. Rainer and on the deck you have its majestic view. Besides this, we also enjoyed the marvelous tennis court. The boat launch is just beside the deck and easily accessible. And the owners … they just make us feel as if we were at home.

Liked best: Quietness
Liked least: I could not say
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mark G
Vancouver, Washington
“Absolutely Perfect!”
Reviewed 8 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

This vacation home is perfect! It is right on the water - with a wonderful & great big deck to sit and relax on - overlooking the whole bay and Mt. Rainier. There is an easy to use boat launch right at the end of the driveway. This cottage is on the property of the owners, Bill and Sue Spencer, who couldn't be better hosts. They are warm, gracious, friendly and informative and maintain the surrounding property beautifully with its gardens and fruit trees. The cottage has a well equipped kitchen for cooking your own meals and more than enough amenities for feeling at home. This truly was THE perfect relaxing getaway!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beautiful setting with the water and nature all around and a feeling of being apart from the rush of life!
Liked least: The price was over our usual budget, though certainly well worth it!
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
dianek531...
Big Bend, Wisconsin
“Of all the places I have rented in the past and since, this is a disappointment!”
Reviewed 7 September 2014 for a stay in July 2014

There is no contract in writing. I sent two e-mails in February for a 4-night August stay. After he received my check, e-mails stopped.. I needed a street address so I e-mailed him 2 weeks before we left but heard nothing. I got on the phone and finally the day before our plane left he returned my call.
We were greeted and given a tour. During the tour we were introduced to the garden hose. Sorry, I'm not doing your gardening chores! We were also given a long tutorial on recycling that I didn't need. We recycle in Wisconsin also.
We stayed because we had things to do on the island and close by and because there was no place else close to go. The owner will say he would have found us a B&B on the island but we don't do B&B's and we don't do anything other than a king bed. I'm old and I want what I want.
The first morning the owner appears in the kitchen window! We are in our pajamas and he is asking for a check! Really? We just got up! There is a door! USE IT! A rental should come with some expectation of privacy!
The third morning he again is peering in the kitchen window! We had just gotten up and again in pajamas. This time he asks why we are not packing up. I told him because both of our e-mail said “four nights” and I had paid him for the four nights plus the cleaning deposit. I read to him the e-mail I'd saved. Apparently he had doubled booked the place and we were asked to leave. It's 9:30. We had not had breakfast and had not yet showered and had everything to pack and be out by 11? By the way, we left the place as we had found it...right up to the silverware on the table. His only chore would have been bedding and a couple towels. You are not allowed to wear shoes in the house so vacuuming is at a minimum.
His response to my letter: “ I watch from our house to see if there is any movement in our Beach House before going over there. I just don't want to knock on the door and wake guests up.” Really? Do you watch with binoculars? The houses are 250 feet apart!
We had no place to go! It was “Seafair” week in Seattle and hotels were FULL! My plan was to meet a family member (the main reason for my trip) for lunch This had to be changed because we now needed to find a place to stay and a place for refrigerated food. By the time we found a place we were 1 hour and 20 minutes from where we wanted to be the next day. The food was warm and disposed of.
He had taken my check for the remaining three nights plus I had made a math error and had given him $100 too much. He cashed the check for $325 too much without question! He doesn't stop to think that maybe there was something strange about the amount of the check? He did offer a bunch of excuses for his error blaming most of it on “Kids and grandkids come to visit and I have to pack up my office so they have a place to stay”.
Now, a few things about the rental itself: The stairs to the bed are very steep! The bathroon is downstairs. Owner quote - “The stairs are not to code but many guests prefer to sleep downstairs because of the view.” I didn't pay $225/night to sleep on a sofa sleeper!
Regarding the view: The center of the three windows overlooking the water has lost its seal. It is foggy with water running between the panes.
There is sand on the beach but it is very rocky. I'd never walk the beach with anything other than hard soled shoes.
The boat ramp, for me, would not be useable. It is also very steep and quite slippery and rocky at the waters edge. I own 4 boats and would not attempt to launch any of them there. You might carry a kayak or canoe but that is about it!
The rock steps to the water were also steep and slippery. We were advised by the owner not to use them.
Owner quote “Yes there are rat traps because Norwegian rats are a problem.” Enough said.
We also found slugs crawling in the bathroom.
There is also no mention in the ad about visible trains and train whistles all hours of the day and night.
After confronting the owner with all of theses problems and a few I have not mentioned, I was given a full refund. Renters Beware!

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
5 Dec 2014
We have rented our Beach House for the past 8 years & have averaged 27+ bookings per year. During that time we have had only 5 Star (Positive) Reviews on Trip Advisor and other vacation rental sites. We have had Guests come for many consecutive Summers, who have written very positive reviews. Please read them too.
We feel that this reviewer (she) is inaccurate in many respects & has used owner statements out of context. Hence, we would like to correct the inaccuracies.
For the 1st time in those 8 years, a booking misunderstanding resulted in a double booking for the last night of a 4 – night stay. When she originally requested a reservation on 2/22 , she asked for 3 nights with a departure date of 7/31. I logged it in both my Internet and paper Calendars for 3 nights. When I responded to her I mistakenly confirmed 7/31 as her last night here … 4 nights
During the intervening 5 months between the reservation request & her 7/31 stay, we had phone contact on 3/11 about her reservation (more communication than the reviewer claims) & neither of us caught the discrepancy (a 4 night vs. 3 night reservation).
I was so embarrassed that we gave her money back for all 4 nights, so she got 3 nights FREE. We also tried to get her a reservation near her next destination.
There was $100 math error & I was so distracted with many house guests at our home that I did not catch HER error. I have had other Guests make math errors and I have always returned their $ as soon as I catch it.
Our statements taken out of context or otherwise inaccurate in the review:
• When Guests check in & offer to immediately pay the balance, I suggest that they stay the 1st night to make sure that they are happy with the accommodations. Then, I come over the next morning to see if everything is OK, if they have any ?s and if they are happy with the place before accepting their check for the balance. The next morning, I did that and she did say that she was “happy” with our place & wrote us the check for the balance (+ the $100 error). At that time the reviewer did not mention any issues. Several weeks later we get an email detailing the things she found wrong with our place. Hence, there was no chance for us to correct any issues during the 3 days that she was here.
• The bait stations (not “rat traps”) are on the OUTSIDE of our property as a preventative measure, as there are many orchards here. Because of these bait stations serviced by a professional, the rats die elsewhere & we have not had a problem INSIDE.
• We also have Slug bait around our property. However, Slugs have been known to come into houses stuck to peoples’ shoes.
• We have launched 28’ boats on that boat ramp. Due to an 18’ difference in the tide level here, you have to wait for a high tide to reach the concrete portion of the ramp in order to launch a boat without getting stuck in the sand. Much different than launching on a lake where the reviewer has her boats.
• There is sandy beach here, where our Grand Children play every time that they come. There is also sandy beach in front of our neighbors’ who have given us & our guests permission to use it too (please read the other reviews that say they enjoy “the sandy beach.”)
• The sound of train whistles come from 2 miles away across Puget Sound. No previous Guests have complained & some actually like it
• There is condensation at the top of 1 of the 3 view windows (a total of 168 sq. ft.). It only distorts a view of the sky from 1 window.
• I never suggest that a Guest sleep on the sleeper sofa. Some guests CHOOSE to sleep on it. The view is spectacular from there.
• Our property attracts many gardeners who want to water the flowers. I usually suggest that it’s OK with us, if they WANT to, but they certainly don’t HAVE to.
• There is a hand rail all the way up the stairs.
• No matter how clean Guests leave our place, we ALWAYS have a housekeeper clean before the next Guests arrive … sometimes within a couple of hours.
We apologized many times to her, gave her 3 free nights & feel that despite that, she posted an inaccurate review. Please read the other Guest reviews for more balanced opinions.
Thank You for reading and considering both sides of this only negative review. The Spencers
Rita G
Greenville, North Carolina
“Great quiet get away; beautiful views. Really easy booking.”
Reviewed 3 November 2012 for a stay in October 2012
person found this review helpful

ThiS was as advertised. Privacy..great. Relaxation..great walks on beach..great. Accommodations..great. Really nice markets are within 15mins., but you do need transportation. We used this as a home base to cook and relax at night and we drove to various points of interest. I would really like to go back and just stAy there for a week or two...chilling. That's what this place is great for doing!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Description matched the property. Was as I expected!
Liked least: Little inconvenient for traveling to areas of interest
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
FL
Reviewed 30 July 2012 for a stay in June 2012
people found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing