All reviews heron cove screech owl the cottages the eagle's nest salmon point cottage hot tub fairy tale sweet family vacation experience stained glass orcas island modern amenities canopy bed ferry ride degree view gorgeous views
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have stayed at North Shore Cottages twice, and I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to go back. Orcas Island is a paradise in itself, but such a lovely and surprising place to stay makes it almost like a fairy land. Every nook and cranny of each cottage holds enchanting special touches that set it apart from any other space on earth. Its odd mix of interesting antique finds and unique theme decor continually delight the senses. And the views are just incredible. Each cottage, though close to the others, has a sense of seclusion that makes for a wonderful space for reflection and soul-searching. Elizabeth, the hostess, is one of the sweetest people I've ever met and goes out of her way to be helpful. Very personable.

There is nothing pretentious or fake about North Shore Cottages. If you are looking for a place with glitz and glamor, go somewhere else. But if you want a warm, cozy, home in the woods spot to reflect and rest. one that oozes love from every corner, stay here and stay again!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vicki K
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have stayed at the North Shore Cottages 5 times in the last 5 years. Always a wonderful experience. The owners are amazing. Elizabeth and the kids are always hospitable and wonderful to us. This is an incredibly beautiful place and you'll have a wonderful time in any of the cottages. Make sure to take time to spend in Eastsound too just lounging around the streets. The whole experience will force you to slow down and just relax.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lars R
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have to North Shore Cottages with my family once and by myself a couple of times. It is one of my favorite places on earth. Each cabin (although to call them cabins seems to diminish them somehow) is beautiful and decorated in the most interesting ways. There is a unique blend of some very incredible antiques and modern amenities. Of course, all the appliances are modern, but the antique bookshelves and chairs are almost worth the trip. And, then there are the views and the property itself...awesome. The host greeted us when we arrived and made us feel very welcome. North Shore Cottages is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. It is a slice of paradise that always leaves me wanting a little more.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ThomasIngram
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have visited Orcas Island every year for past seven or eight years; it is one of my favorite places on earth. For the past three years I have treated myself (and my wife!) by staying at North Shore Cottages. Owners Leonard and Elizabeth Sweet continue crafting an environment that allows the cares of the world to slough away; if your soul has not sung in a while, it will regain it's voice here. North Shore Cottages has several "themed" cottages, based on animals indigenous to the region, complete with complementary artwork and libraries. I've stayed in three of the cottages now, but Heron Cove is my favorite. Designed and built by artist/architect James Hubbell, it is a masterpiece, probably the most beautiful structure on the island. Staying in Heron Cove, one does not just appreciate a work of art, but leaves the island reedy to live a more artistic life. I cannot recommend North Shore Cottages highly enough!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have had the good fortune to stay at Orcas Island several times. I have stayed in a few different "standard" hotels and at the North Shore Cottages. If you have not spent a few days in one of these cottages... you ARE missing out!

Each cottage has been individually and uniquely designed, built, and maintained. In the spirit of Frank Lloyd Wright's "organic architecture" the dwelling naturally accomodates expected creature comforts, while somehow, feeling consistent with the natural beauty of the island.

Everything youd expect is there: comfy beds, ample room for guests, contemporary kitchens, appliances, etc. Additionally, all cottages are decorated with legitimate local art, many antiques, fitting a specific natural vision, just for that specific cottage.

The owners are always friendly and more than hospitable. But the cottages and surrounding natural beauty speak for themselves: eagles flying buy, water front views, eyeing the mountains peaking out from Canada.

Its not Orcas Island without the North Shore Cottages!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple