“Best New England clam chowder and halibut I have ever had in my entire life! And I'm pretty old!”

Wally's Chowder House
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: USD 0 - USD 12
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 October 2015

I took my Mom back to Ireland two years ago and we ate New England clam chowder almost daily throughout our 3.5 weeks there and we thought the chowder was excellent throughout the country. But none of those offerings can hold a candle to the incredibly yummy New England clam chowder that is expertly prepared at Wally's. During my stay in nearby Kent, I found my way to Wally's every night and when I was in Vancouver, I even made time to return leaving my hotel early to go back for a quick bowl at Wally's just before boarding my flight out of Seattle. The chowder in the bread bowl with a salad was my fav and the fresh fried halibut portions were also outstanding. Service was fast and friendly and the waiting line moved along quickly. There are no negatives to report about this place. I'll be back in a flash if I'm ever in the Seattle area again! Dang, all this reminiscing has me jonesing for some chowder right now!

Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

Come here for work meetings every now and then. This place has become a favorite the food quality is fantastic. We love the fresh halibut fish & chips and the fried shrimp & chips. The tarter sauce is also so yummy here.. If you are in the mood for good old fashioned Fish & Chips then this is a must.. Thank you again to Wally's for awesome food and service.

Reviewed 18 October 2015 via mobile

In our home town, Wally's has been frequented by my family many times over the years. We've always been very pleased with the food and the service (and of course, the location) Buuuut...my husband and I left there tonight rather disappointed. We had tried their fish tacos and did not find them to be good at all. I think it was the sauce (that provided more - lots more- heat than flavor) which was the deal breaker. Up until now we had never experienced a less than yummy fish taco. Sorry Wally's. We still love you.

Reviewed 11 October 2015

Great place, great food and service. Arrived at 4:30 on a Saturday afternoon and thought it would be empty...... wrong, was almost full. A great sign. My wife had the cod and me being a non-water creature eater of any kind had the chicken breast. Both were very good.

Reviewed 10 October 2015

Went here with some colleagues and it was a good as a lot of the reviews have said. They also have a great bar area. If you like cold beer in iced mugs this has it. I had the chowder and the seafood platter and I was plenty filled up. Comes with cole slaw and fries (endless if you want). The chowder was as good any I've ever had. Not a lot of potato with more crab. Other guys got shrimp cocktail which was a good size.another got th clams pan cooked which looked good too.

Been to Wally's Chowder House? Share your experiences!