All reviews window seat train noise bellingham bay view room bay window soaking tub provide ear plugs fish tacos gas fireplace hear trains beautiful view of the bay water view beautiful hotel pacific northwest san juan islands living room woods coffee
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I’ve been staying at this hotel regularly since my son started school at WWU a few years ago. I cannot wait to go back! Everything from the amazing view from the full view rooms and the trains at night(yes I love that part of it too...kind of soothing and exciting at the same time). Fish tacos and martinis on the patio at sunset and walks along Taylor dock to Woods coffee all sum up a perfect stay. Glad to hear the rooms are being refreshed.

Room tip: Amazing views with a delightful window seat.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
ChrisC12242, Director of Sales at The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2018

Hi Kim,
Thank you so much for your stellar review and for being such a loyal guest! We especially look forward to revealing our remodel to you on your next stay!

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

This has been my favorite place to stay for business trips to Bellingham for many years. Beautiful location on Bellingham Bay with many shops and restaurants in Fairhaven nearby.
However, the rooms are dated and worn. It’s definitely time for a remodel if the Inn wishes to keep its great reputation. Carpets worn, chairs shabby and mattress lumpy. WiFi was extremely slow!
I hope this lovely hotel can make some much needed upgrades.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Chris C, Director of Sales at The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Hi Ladyhawk2009,
You are correct! Our remodel of all guest rooms is in progress. Hopefully you noticed the new carpet, wood flooring, and larger TVs. All new furniture, blinds, and beds are set to be delivered by October so by the next time you come visit us, all will be done.

Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

After checking in we were at the front desk and asked as to why there were ear plugs on the bedside table. Well, that’s when we discovered that the trains travel right under the hotel!!! Should have rad the reviews- my bad! I counted four train that night, my bride counted eight!
Great hotel, great location, friendly staff.
We had upgraded to a king suite which was lovely, but for the train noise!
Had breakfast at the hotel next morning. Messed up our orders. Great view but the food quality and service was sloppy.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Chris C, Director of Sales at The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Hi SKG109,
Congratulations on your recent wedding! We apologize for the mix up with your breakfast orders. The trains are sometimes an issue for light sleepers. By spring of next year, a quiet zone will be created in Fairhaven that will prohibit the trains from blowing their horns in this area. Please come back and try us then!

Reviewed 8 August 2018

A group of friends and I went to spend a weekend away at The Chrusalis Inn and Spa. The services was good. Rooms and bathrooms were clean and spacious. I loved the window seat in our room. Gave us an extra sleeping space and a great view.

No real complaints in regards to the hotel however we felt like we were mislead in regards to the spa. Specifically my masseuse who stated that she was unable to provide a firm massage as it was "not a part of her practice." We were also sold on the idea that we could use Happy Hour while we waited for our next set of appointments. However, once at the spa, you are unable to leave with your robes which defeated the purpose.

It was also to say, that the two nights that we were there, there were weddings being held therefore we were unable to fully enjoy the patio/restaurants. We also sat outside on the patio under the assumption that happy hour was available outside.. After being seated we were told that we were unable to order off that menu due to happy hour only being in the bar area and moved inside. After we did complain they did give us a round of drinks on the house. The food at the restaurant was amazing and they are very accommodating to allergies, especially gluten which was very much appreciated by a friend.

The inn is close to the train tracks which makes it a bit loud when the train passes however they do provide ear plugs.

There is a boardwalk right next to the hotel which a great way to enjoy the view. Also, you are a short walk from the town which is great to explore and they have amazing little restaurants. There was a festival in the afternoon and a movie night happening at night. A great sense of community in this town.

Also, as it was a hotel with a spa, I assumed there would of been a pool or hot tub for guest to enjoy however as I did not book the hotel, I was a bit disappointed that there were none of these facilities. To be honest, I was not impressed at the spa as my massage was not what I expected after I told her to go firmer 2 times. Due to my muscles being so tense, she did suggest that I do yoga to help release the tension. My massage was a waste of money

Overall it was a nice gateway however due to the lack of a pool and the spa being a disappointment, I would give this hotel a 3/5.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Chris C, Director of Sales at The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Hi Rosie,
Thank you and your friends for staying with us! We regret that your massage did not meet your expectations. The Therapist in question, who has since moved on, probably had good intentions, but it was wrong for them to presume what kind of massage you needed. Next time you are here we will treat you to a complimentary deep tissue upgrade.

Regarding the happy hour issue, we do have a nice selection of beverages and small plates available in the Spa. If guests would like to participate in Keenan’s happy hour, they are more than welcome to go to the living room in their robes and sandals, if their Spa itinerary allows time for this.

All information about our hotel amenities, including not having a pool or hot tub, and our Living Room/Terrace closures, are found on our website.

Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel is charming and well appointed.
The good:
It is beautiful with gorgeous views of Bellingham Bay. It is right next to a public pier and a completely charming .2 path to Fairhaven where there are many good restaurants, fresh gelato, and artisan shops. The accommodations are nice- robes, fine products, great AC, a fireplace, and it is very clean - and pleasing. The people here are very nice. The restaurant looks great but we were unable to eat there as there was an event occurring.
The bad:
It is after 11:00 pm as I write this and for the past 8 minutes a train has been going by RIGHT by the hotel- now please if it were just running through I might be able to deal but it is screeching metal to metal and SO loud it actually hurts - think it may have stopped and moved cars or something...then it finally left with usual loud noises- but really loud - again this is right next to the hotel. Wait - here comes another one. This whole train business lasted 12 minutes. There are earplugs in the room placed on the bedside table but no way would these help as it is unbearably loud. Additionally (also no fault of hotel) there is a party right outside my window with loud squawking and “WOO!!!” And etc. ( this has been going on for two hours but now I want to sleep) Another kind of odd detail- I am 5’4” and the bathroom sink is set so far back and the counter is so high that it is impossible to brush teeth and spit in sink. Lastly - the beds are just Okay - not really comfortable. I will say darn it !!!- I Love the location and could deal with beds and sink issue but I need to sleep or none of this is fun. I don’t know how this place can manage to stay full with train issue. I appreciate a fine boutique hotel - so much - I am impressed with most of this property but at this moment I would give up the location for a good nights sleep.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank daughterofasailor
Chris C, Director of Sales at The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Hello daughterofasailor,
Thank you for staying with us and we understand, for some, the train is definitely an issue. If you decide to try us again, please request a side view room as those tend to be quieter since they are farther from the tracks and get a white noise machine or fan from the front desk which can sometimes alleviate the train noise for light sleepers. We do appreciate your positive comments about the rest of your experience!