“Charming building and an outstanding meal”

The Log House 1776 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 62 Restaurants in Wytheville
Price range: USD 8 - USD 18
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2011

A completely charming building and an outstanding meal. Be sure to read the history about the restaurant on the menu (or available for 25 cents in the lobby). The original structure was built in 1782 and obviously added onto many times. Take the time to walk around and enjoy the spectacular gardens out back. There’s also a large gift shop, although it’s somewhat pricey. We had a charming server who was attentive and helpful with some of the menu choices. She encouraged us to enjoy the gardens and came to locate us when our meal was ready. Both of our dinners were excellent. Can’t wait to go back.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Had to stay the night in Wytheville so I had planned on visiting the Log House based on reviews. It proved to be a great choice and a memorable one! As a history teacher I enjoyed the atmosphere and decor - this makes it worth the stop on its own. The food, however, was wonderful! My girls (9 & 7) cleaned their plates. We loved the cheese/grape appetizer and I had the Chicken w/ pecan sauce, plus dessert! It was not cheap, but totally worth it, especially if you are on vacation or looking for a memorable spot to have a nice dinner. I can see myself driving out of my way to visit in the future!

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We went to this restaurant because of the reviews of it being #1. It is a charming old building that is a very unique place to eat. It wasn't busy when we went, so we were seated right away and got our food very quickly. However, the dinner prices were too much for us. There was really not hardly anything to choose from if you didn't want to spend $18-$23 per plate for dinner. I ended up ordering a salad and my daughter just had a small bowl of vegetable soup....which was very good. My husband got the steak which was a good cut of meat that he said lacked much flavor. So overall, we left disappointed mainly because of the prices.

1  Thank Willieandbarb
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Just got home from having dinner and it was very delicious. We had a group of 5 and we were seated right away. Our waiter was friendly and accommodating. We ordered drinks and the corn fritters with honey as an appetizer and instead of waiting at the table we went for a walk around the grounds and the store out back to see everything. Our waiter came to find us to let us know our appetizer was ready at our table. Once we got back to our table he came to tell us that our main entrees were ready as well. The food was hot and delicious. Most of us got a version of stuffed chicken breast and one got shrimp. We decided to share a dessert....the Kentucky Derby Pie and it was amazing!!! I have been here three times total with never a complaint. If I had to say something bad about this place it would be the crabby lady that was working the front desk tonight. She said she had been there 35 years....maybe she owns the place or they just can't get rid of her but she isn't very friendly.

1  Thank Sidekickers
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This place is outstanding! Everything amazed me from the moment I walked in the door to the moment my bill came. When we walked in, warm, fresh, and wonderful smells greeted us and swirled around us. They quickly sat us at a table, but be warned if you want a fast and simple meal there are many Fastfood places near by. This place takes time and effort when it comes to food. The overall atmosphere is great and a major plus is that it was built in 1776. The staff care about your meal and are very polite. The food is absolutely delicious and is worth the price and wait! Make sure to visit the shop behind the house for some really nest nic nacs! Best restaurant I have ever been to, it is a MUST go to place!

1  Thank Luke T