“World’s Most Overrated Hot Dog Joint”

Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs
Ranked #7 of 62 Restaurants in Wytheville
Price range: USD 1 - USD 10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Serving up great food since 1925, Skeeter’s has been serving world famous “SKEETERDOGS” to locals and travelers for generations. Experience Skeeter’s “World Famous Hotdogs” a true Wytheville tradition!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Ok, my wife gives me a hard time about getting my hopes up about these type of places. Visiting a place that dubs itself as “world famous hotdogs” is what I am talking about. So, I am from Cincinnati- world famous for great chili and awesome cheese coneys. What makes a cheese cony awesome? The steamed bun and hot dog, the light and fluffy heavenly shredded cheese. This place? Buns, right out of the bag, hot dogs (nothing special), chili (I think is from a can) and cheese (nacho cheese they put under the chili). My 7 year old know cheese coneys. She barely made it through one of the two chili dogs I got for her. My wife got the bbq. Same, canned bbq on a crappy bun. Menu is extremely limited. Absolutely no clue what people see in these hot dogs. To top it off, we waited around 20 minutes to get our food. The only salvation was we went to Edith Wilson museum next door afterward- was really cool.

1  Thank HayleyJ2010

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were headed to Tennessee for vacation and stopped in Wytheville overnight. We heard about Skeeters and just had to stop. We were there at 8 am for breakfast and the waitress was super sweet and accommodating. Made the best biscuits and gravy my husband has ever had and I had the egg sandwich. She also made us two slaw dogs to go and they were amazing two hours later. Definitely a stop if you’re passing through.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

The atmosphere of this restaurant is absolutely fantastic and the food matches it. Lunch was a throw back to times past and worth the trip off the highway to explore. Well worth a visit for a hot dog and a coke.

Wanda R, General Manager at Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Wow.. thank you so much for the great review.. We take our quality of the food very seriously.. so glad you enjoyed everything..! Looking forward to your next visit..!!!!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We ate hotdogs on the stools at the counter. Its old and an established icon on main street....a blast from the past for enjoying a quick hotdog and soft drink! Super fun!

Reviewed 25 February 2018

I like to try locally owned eateries when I can. We pass through Wytheville frequently, so we stopped to try Skeeter's. The building was fairly cool, and the service was okay, but not great. My wife got a grilled cheese and was happy. I ordered a couple of hot dogs with chili and mustard. They use a red weiner for their dogs. The chili was okay and the bun was plain. I know everyone has their own personal tastes. However, to me, it was the worst hot dog in history. It seemed like what prison food would be. I won't go back.