“Great stay...a little pricey” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great stay...a little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

After many day trips over the years, we decided to stay on property. We had a room at the inn, which was surprisingly was more like a studio apartment. Wasn't expecting a 2 floor room with a living room and kitchenette along with 2 queen sized beds. The added bonus of the ski locker was helpful. We would certainly stay in the inn again. Everything is within walking distance.

Signed our 8 yo up for ski lessons and we were impressed. The group had an adequate student/teacher ratio. There beginner area is the best I've seen; large and fenced off with a magic carpet lift. The beginner lift is right there as well and students make an easy transition without being in the fray.

Room Tip: Be specific about your needs.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 1BlondeBunny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I planned a bachelorette party for my best friend here at Wintergreen Resort. We wanted something different, somewhere that had a spa. We stayed in the 4 bedroom condo and had 8 girls. There was PLENTY of room. The condo had 4 levels. It was really neat. We had enough bathrooms for everyone, which was key! The rate was great for the space and time we stayed. We got the book 2 nights, get the third free special, which is a deal! Everyone had a great time. The Edge ski lodge was a lot of fun and had a little nightlife, which was key for a bachelorette party. The band was really fun and the people were friendly. The only thing I would say is that I wish the shuttle service ran later since the bar doesn't close till later. No one wanted to risk driving or walking on those roads, so we had to leave early to get the shuttle. It would have been a lot more fun if we could have stayed later. We didn't get a chance to ski because the conditions weren't very good. It was icy and sort of warm. We did take advantage of the surrounding area, we did Blue Mountain Brewery which wasn't far. There are also 2 other breweries with tastings like 20 min away. We also did Veritas Vineyard, which was very nice also. Lots of fun for a group of girls! Everyone at Wintergreen was very friendly. We did experience the spa. It wasn't anything special, but it was very nice. The pedicure ladies were especially friendly and fun to hang out with. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Based on if you have couples or a group of girls. There are 4 bedrooms in the 4 bedroom condo, but...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Newlywed0825
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo with friends, and took advantage of the package they offer which included the condo and lift tickets. The woman checking us in was very friendly and helpful. The condo was very clean, spacious and relaxing! Only one of the six people in our group had been skiing/snowboarding before so I'm probably not the best person to rate the slopes, but for a first timer I had a great time. Our snowboard instructor, Miles, was great and very patient! We took advantage of the shuttle service they offer from the condo to the slopes, and each time we never had to wait for more than 5 minutes (I don't know if it would be as quickly on a weekend).
My only complaint for the entire weekend was that the staff where you purchase your lift tickets, and where you purchase rental equipment didn't seem to know what was going on. For a couple of them it was because English was not their primary language, but others, who spoke perfect English, were confused about the package we had purchased and didn't know how to ring up tickets and rentals. But all in all, we had a great time and would definitely go back and would recommend Wintergreen.

Room Tip: If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room try to get a room that is away from the slopes, t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CA_DRVR
asheville,nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I was traveling home from a retreat in VA....and driving thru the countryside...and remembered that I had always wanted to go to Wintergreen resort. So stopped in at the desk....they gave me a great rate for a studio/condo on the slope. It was VERY cold (early Jan). The room was very nice. You unload in front of your place and then park across the street. Nice bed, small kitchen area with little stove, coffee pot, microwave and sink, whirlpool tub in bath, small living area and a deck that faced the slope. Ice skating was going on for kids or adults outside also. As soon as I got there I asked about the spa....which you are allowed to use the pool, hot tubs and saunas for free. So headed there quickly....it was pretty busy (even after new years)....lots of screaming kids (and I just came from a silent retreat!) but I soaked in the hot water....and hit the sauna for a bit. I had dinner at the restaurant, the copper mine grill. Weren't alot of people but food was good and they were accommodating to my diet needs. A little costly though. I sat at the bar and ate while chatting with others and the bartender. Since it was so cold and they were calling for some snow...they turned on the snow blowing machines....so you could hear that outside my door. To cover up that noise I had my heat on in the room...so it was kind of like "white" noise. I wouldn't mind returning there to check out the trails but not sure I would stay on the slope. Beautiful area...beautiful sunset that night. I bet it is busy during ski season. I went right after new years...so not alot of people.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank gypsyiam
Geoff8212, Manager at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Gypsyjam,

I want to thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort and for your review here on trip advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here during January. Generally our resort is extremely busy with skiers as this is our busiest season, but due to mother nature not cooperating with the cold temps or natural precipitation we got our season off to a slow start as much of the east coast ski areas has as well.

We certainly appreciate your visit with us and your response and welcome you back in the spring for hiking on your own or guided nature hikes. It is a beautiful time here at the resort and we would love for you to experience it. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at 434-325-8212 or gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Have been coming to Wintergreen since the '80's. Great variety of slopes, conditions usually good even when nature hasn't cooperated, high-speed 6 person lifts reduce lift line waiting, good dining options at or close to the slopes. This is a property that really seems to work hard to insure your experience is positive. Our last trip we rented a house; a pipe froze, but the repair guys were there right away. This time we rented a 2 BR condo, which was nicely appointed and sparkling clean. The shuttle picked us up with very little waiting. Our 9 and 13-year old kids took private lessons, which was a big help for them and us. Even on one of the busiest days of the year (MLK weekend) the slopes were relatively safe (albeit pretty crowded). The policy of revoking lift tickets for skiiers/boarders who are speeding or out of control has lessened the chance of getting whacked considerably.

Room Tip: Ask for a top-floor condo
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Montie S
Montie S,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort and your continued patronage over the past years. We strive to give the best product available, even in times when the weather does not cooperate and I am glad you enjoyed your stay here with your kids and the skiing was great for you and that your kids enjoyed their lessons. We look forward to your next visit with us and if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at 434-325-8212 or gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
16.5 km away
38.3 km away
The Boar's Head
The Boar's Head
#9 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!