“Wonderful, elegant hotel”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights and was very pleased. Very comfortable bed, crisp linens, marble
bathroom. Individual heat/cool controls works well. High ceilings give spacious feeling. Hallway
is clean, well-lit. Hot tub was great. Pool is nice to look at but not really meant for laps.
I tried the hotel restaurant but the salmon was fried and swimming in butter--I suggest the
ample # of restaurants in the pedestrian corridor a block away. I liked Brubaker's for lunch.

Room Tip: I was in 526, a king at the back of the hotel facing the parking structure behind the hotel. At th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

This beautifully restored and updated historic hotel was a wonderful find for my wife and me when we took a getaway weekend. All the facilities were in great condition, the decorations were beautiful and the staff courteous and helpful. We are both so glad we chose this hotel in the center of the old town instead of one of the many chains, that I am sure are fine, out by the interstate.
The old town with the brick pedestrian walking mall is a great place for a meaningless stroll or some casual shopping. There are also several good restaurants in the area. The Nicoise is charming with the owner from Nice who sings along with his French CDs while serving customers himself.
We also enjoyed the free live music in the beautifully decorated bar off the main hotel lobby.

Room Tip: ask for one facing the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Had a lovely weekend at the George Washingon hotel in Winchester a few weeks ago. The room was warm, cozy and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The included room ammenities (teas, bottled water, toiletries) were a wonderful touch. The staff was attentive and very personable.
I enjoyed a beautiful Saturday afternoon walking around Winchester - the shops and cafes within walking distance of the hotel were delightful. The hotel gift shop was a treasure of items from hand made purses to pewter pieces. The breakfast buffet at the Dancing Goat was pretty basic, but the resaurant staff was very friendly and added that special element that made an oridinary buffet into a very lovely meal shared with friends.
One of the highlights was the fatastic massage at Saumaj Spa which is there at the hotel. The staff at the spa were warm, friendly and made me feel pampered and special. It was the icing on the cake of a great weekend.
I am already making plans this spring to visit the George Washington again - most definitely will be selecting a few more spa services during my next visit (who doesn't like to feel like a princess during a little getaway??)!
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stacy W
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I came to the George Washington Hotel for a weekend getaway with some friends in January 2012. The Hotel location is wonderful. Nice restaurants and shopping are all within walking distance. When we parked at the hotel we didn’t need our car until we left. We were extremely pleased with all the accommodations the hotel provided and the staff was very friendly . The rooms were clean and comfortable. My friends and I love to get spa services so we were very pleased to find out that the Saumaj spa was located on the premises. My friends and I all booked and appointments for a facial and massage. We were all so relaxed and refreshed afterwards. The spa services were very well done. I have had a lot of spa treatments done in the past and I must say the Saumaj therapists were up there with the best treatments I’ve ever received. We enjoyed our time in Old Town Winchester so much that we are already planning our next weekend getaway to the George Washington hotel and the Saumaj Spa.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lori P
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have the personal experience of using the George Washington for both my wedding and corporate events. They do a fantastic job! From the early stages of planning through the final product, they are a class act! I have also stayed in their rooms which are fantastic. The flant panel TV, upgraded granite and luxury bed linens are just a few highlights. The room sizes are large and spacious with plenty of room to move around and store your personal belongings. The ammenities are very nice from the restaurant downstairs to the lounge on the main level, you can except great service and wonderful hospitality. I cannot say enough about their service, from the cleaning staff, bellmen, front desk, restaurant staff, sales staff, etc.. they are all top notch. You will NOT be disappointed with your stay here, whether it be for personal use or business. Five plus stars for me!!!

Room Tip: The suites are beautiful!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business