All reviews mini vacation continental breakfast close to busch gardens historic williamsburg virginia
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

Staff was excellent. Room was very clean and nice had a great weekend. Went out of their way to make our anniversary weekend great. Just might make this an annual trip. Would definitely stay at this location again.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
amandadV2304UF, Manager at Fort Magruder Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences at Fort Magruder Hotel with us! Our staff takes great pride in providing guests with a memorable visit and we are thrilled to hear that your anniversary weekend was a success. An annual trip sounds lovely; let us know when you are ready to begin planning for next year.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

My daughter and I stayed from Thursday night to Sunday morning. We were there for a conference being held at the hotel but we toured the Williamsburg area.We were close to many of the tourist attractions but there were two issues that would make us not stay here again. 1. They do NOT serve breakfast and there is NOT a restaurant within walking distance. 2. They offer no smoking rooms but when I stopped by the reception desk to ask a question, the door to the employee lounge was open and they were happily smoking in there (INSIDE THE HOTEL)! I had to stand outside while my daughter asked the question because the smoke was so thick. As a person that has severe allergies to cigarette smoke, I would NOT recommend staying here if you have the same allergies!
Lastly, they are remodeling but we did not notice the remodeling hindered our visit! It will probably look amazing when they are finished!
So, if they solve the breakfast issue, I would stay there.
If they stop the employees from smoking inside the smoke free hotel, I would stay there...good luck with all of that!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
amandadV2304UF, Director of Sales at Fort Magruder Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to hear that the temporary closure of our restaurants put a damper on your stay. Our food and beverage outlets are receiving the finishing touches on their renovation and relaunch. In the meantime, we have taken your comments to heart and now offer information on nearby restaurants as well as discount coupons when guests check in. You also mentioned an unpleasant experience in your interaction with some of our staff. We strive to provide an exceptional guest experience but, unfortunately, sometimes we do not fully succeed and are disappointed that this happened to you. The issue that you have noted has been reviewed with our General Manager and department leader in order to provide additional training for our employees. Thanks for noting the progress of our renovations. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you our new rooms and additional updates when you return to the area.

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel at least twice before to attend an annual veterinary medical meeting also held here. The hotel is older but was tolerable in the past. This year, things are off to a poor start. Over 6 weeks prior to the medical meeting, I made two reservations for two rooms on the first floor overlooking the courtyard with separate confirmation numbers in writing and the employee’s name with whom I spoke. I informed the employee, James, that my stay was for the purpose of a convention and received the convention rate for the specified 1st floor room with a courtyard.

When I called to cancel one room a week before the meeting, I was informed rather rudely that I had NO reservation at all and had to make another reservation! I explained I had written reservations and was told James was no longer employed there and my reservations did not exist.

At this time, I requested to speak to the manager and was told one was not available but not to worry! The staff member on the phone promised me a first floor room with courtyard access but never sent a confirmation email. So, I had to make a new reservation and recorded a new confirmation number with her name.

Upon arrival, the front doors were locked and inaccessible with no signage. We went around to the back of the building and found a relocated “front desk” with staff member, Laurie, who assigned us to a 3rd floor level room at the rear of the building. She said the 1st floor was reserved for people with pets.

Moreover, no one said on the phone that the hotel was undergoing a renovation and had significant enough chemical fumes that fans sat on the floor in the hallway next to duct taped old carpeting. Laurie directed us to the elevator to collect a baggage cart that was also not in working condition as the wheels locked up frequently after being loaded.

The renovation seems limited to the lobby. The guest rooms and elevators are in terrible condition, untouched, disgusting and filthy. The furniture is in disrepair. The AC unit was loud and not responding when adjusted, the bathrooms were not cleaned well and the tv remote only worked from one side of the room. The sheets are thin, smelled musty and the room was beyond being in need of repair with peeling pain and wallpaper, stains on the toilet, leaking shower and tub, closet door that barely closed, etc.

I went and complained to Laurie who then offered me a chance to look at a first floor room AFTER we went to great effort and already unloaded our stuff on the 3rd floor. REALLY?

If it weren’t for the medical meeting, I would not stay here in this hotel’s current state and with the current staff’s service.

As a fellow business owner, it does not matter how many coats of paint you throw on a wall if the staff is rude and the facility is dirty.

WiFi is consistently unreliable.

I will be bringing these issues to the attention of management and the veterinary conference.

What a shame!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank esm922
amandadV2304UF, Director of Sales at Fort Magruder Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our resort. We are so sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your accommodations. At Ft. Magruder Hotel, we strive to provide an exceptional guest experience but, unfortunately, sometimes we do not fully succeed and are disappointed that this happened to you. Each issue that you have noted will be reviewed with each coinciding department in order to, overall, improve on the concerns you have brought to light and further enhance our guest experience. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you our new rooms and updates when you return to the area.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

This was a conference/overnight stay trip.This hotel appears to be under perpetual renovation inside and out. Hallways were stingy and carpet had been repaired with duct tape (they used matching color, lol) but the room was clean and nice, we slept well. My favorite part of the room was the balcony.
We did not have time for a swim, but we did see the pool and hot tub. Both looked inviting!
Dinner at the confrence was delicious, staff was professional ,efficient and friendly.
I would stay here again.

Stayed: November 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. As we move forward with our room renovations, we will address many of the concerns that you expressed, including hallway carpets. We appreciate your mentioning our staff. Outstanding guest service is paramount to us and we are happy to see that the friendliness of our staff made an impression. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel is currently remodeling, the lobby looked about done. Rooms have yet to be remodeled, decent size and were fine for one night stay. Nothing fancy. We visited the indoor pool which was nice. We enjoyed the balcony.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. The lobby, meeting rooms and food and beverage outlets are almost complete and we will begin work on the guest rooms soon. The rooms with balconies are one of the most requested room types we are glad you enjoyed it. We hope you will visit again soon!