“Hidden Gem of a Bookstore”
Review of Mermaid Books

Mermaid Books
Ranked #69 of 107 things to do in Williamsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great selection of used books, especially local history titles. Knowledgeable staff that tries to match material to your interests. Some volumes reasonably priced -- others over market. Also sells ephemera like antique postcards info small quantities. "Underground" location (downstairs) near Kilwin's on Merchants' Square.

1  Thank Kim H
pdedwards12911, General Manager at Mermaid Books, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Thank you for your review! We always love to hear customers opinions.

All reviews
"postcards"
"shop"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Charming small used book shop in Merchants Square near parking garage (and down stairs). Variety of topics (local history, American history, British history, children's literature, etc.). Knowledgeable staff.

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Tons of Books!
Some pictures and trinkets and etc. also for sale but mostly books.
In a great location

Thank you for your review! Come see us again soon :)

Reviewed 14 July 2017

After making a trip JUST to go to Mermaid Books and arriving around 2:00, a sign on the door said "Back in 5 minutes." Came back in 5 minutes...then 10...then 15...gave up after 20. Was looking forward to giving a favorable review but too disappointed to go back again. What a waste of time!

We are so sorry that happened! Because of how small our store is, our staffing is a little out of the ordinary. There are days when there is only person that is running it and there are a number of tasks that need to be done away from the shop. In which case we need to lock up. Thanks to some hiring, that hopefully will not happen again. We hope you give us another chance! Thanks for your review.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 July 2017

I feel guilty giving this store a sour review, but I have to be honest. I stopped by there twice on my trip because I love used bookstores, especially hidden ones, and this one is a gem in that regard. On my first visit, I was a bit put-off by an employee who I had a strange conversation with. He excitedly asked how I was doing, I told him I was doing great. Then he asked if I was in the store yesterday, and when I told him I wasn't, he shrugged and walked off. I was anticipating a friendly convo and was curious about the place, but I was pretty much ignored and felt unwelcomed.

I decided to return at the end of my trip to buy a book. I wanted to support the local business instead of going to Barnes and Noble, but I was priced out. I was looking at various copies of "Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller, and prices ranged from around $25-$30 for used soft covers. I randomly looked at other soft covers and realized that was the standard price. I went to Barnes and Noble and bought 3 books for just under $30 total.

Thank you for your review! We are sorry for your odd experience at the shop. There are several copies of books, even paper backs because of their rarity are pretty highly priced. If you should come again and find one you're interested in please feel free to ask one of the employees if there is a less expensive copy. We may not always have one but we will certainly look for you!
As to the oddity of our employees we are a pretty quirky place, so that will happen at times but we hope our absurdity will be part of our charm in the end.
We very much hope you visit us again!