“better than average, less than very good”
Review of Black Bear Bistro

Black Bear Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Bear Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 95 Restaurants in Warrenton
Price range: USD 4 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Combining the best of farm fresh local and organic ingredients with old-fashioned family value, Black Bear Bistro serves up generous portions of great food at very reasonable pricing. All dishes are prepared to order using the finest produce, herbs, cheeses, breads and meats. Meals are complemented by excellent Virginia wines plus on tap are a great selection of Virginia brewed draft beer selections … or try one of our signature martinis – all served by a friendly, attentive staff!Black Bear Bistro & Cellar is open daily. On Monday & Tuesday, we are open for lunch only, from 11am – 5pm. Wednesday through Sunday, lunch is served from 11am to 4pm. We serve what our patrons consider the ‘Best Lunch in Warrenton’, featuring the highest quality and tastiest food that is well worth the time it takes to prepare from scratch. Plus our Quick Lunch section satisfies our hastiest of lunch patrons who need to get in and out promptly, but still leave with a smile of satisfaction.Wednesday through Sunday, from 4pm – 9pm ( and until 10pm on Friday and Saturday ), Black Bear Bistro & Cellar shifts over to the Dinner Menu adding sumptuous entrees to our list of famous burgers and sandwiches. Chef Eisenhauer also creates a special menu each night to feature dishes he’s created for that night alone!In addition to our several indoor dining areas, Black Bear Bistro & Cellar also boasts of an outdoor patio complete with wrought iron chairs and tables covered by lovely umbrellas for shade. The patio is open seasonally and is pet friendly. Bring your furry or feathered friends to join you while you enjoy a lovely meal alfresco! While the indoor areas of Black Bear Bistro & Cellar are non-smoking, we do allow smoking outside on the patio.Whether it’s a casual lunch, a hearty dinner or a special occasion, Black Bear Bistro & Cellar has flexible dining spaces which can be combined to accommodate small to medium size receptions, parties, business lunches or meetings to suit your needs and budget.
Reviewed 18 April 2017

service is always cheerful and good. food pretty good. nice reliable place to grab casual dinner. good artisanal pizzas. sandwiches good. a few nice draft beers.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

After reading reviews on trip advisor, my husband and I decided to try this restaurant In March (I am a little behind on the review. We took another trip in April). Advice, get here early, it was packed when we got there. Luckily for us, some folks were leaving and we were able to get a table. I was really surprised how big the place was. It doesn’t look big when you door because at first glance, there is a bar and some tables. This establishment has more seating choices downstairs and outside (seasonal). There are four dining areas total. I thought it felt very cozy and inviting. The staff was friendly. Parking is along the main street (first come first serve). Read the signs, some of them say one hour parking and there is parking on some of the side streets and I believe in the back of the restaurant. The menu is extensive. Appetizers, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Brick oven Pizza, Salads, Sandwiches, Kids Menu and Entrees. We ordered the smoked wings, fried chicken sandwich topped with Al’s buffalo sauce, pickle and mayonnaise and my husband ordered the Pittsburgher (Grilled 8 oz. patty topped with bacon and slaw). The smoked Wings were fantastic. The Buffalo sauce was excellent and stuck to the wings. The wings were large. The fried chicken sandwich was fantastic. The fries are hand cut and are served with the sandwiches along with a pickle spear. They have eight Virginia Beers on Tap and serve some Virginia wines as well. I really enjoyed the service and the food. I’m adding my second review from April. We brought extended family to the restaurant this trip. We sat in the lower brick oven pizza area because it was the only place with the largest table. Our server was polite and friendly. I was going to order that fried chicken sandwich again but it was taken off the menu. I was a little disappointed but moved on and decided to order the Ruben. As a matter of fact, everyone at our table except one person ordered the Rueben. Everyone that ordered the Rueben ordered fries except me who ordered Cole slaw. Our server returned to the table and told us that they were out of Corned Beef. Bummer, now we had to figure out what we were going to order. I asked the waiter if I could substitute smoked turkey in place of the corned beef and I wanted the Cole slaw. The meal came out with fries, the server was taking a while to refill drinks, took a while to return to the table. The smoked wings didn’t have much buffalo sauce on them but they were good. Second visit was not as pleasant as the first one but I will not take this off my list. I just wish they would add the fried chicken sandwich back on the menu.

2  Thank lvmylabrador
Reviewed 15 April 2017

I was in Warrenton on business and ate dinner solo here one evening. Nothing fancy, but good food with good service. I enjoyed spaghetti and meatballs!

Reviewed 14 April 2017

We went here twice in mid March 17'. It's a neat place with two, really three bars ( one upstairs and two in basement ). Has a real hometown kind of atmosphere, located right on the main drag in old town Warrenton where people pop in and out pretty regularly.
Everything is very moderately priced, even the dynamite Rib Eye steak dinner I had would have probably been $10. more at any place a little closer to DC. A real bonafide pizza oven too. One of the basement bars seemed to be where the serious drinking took place.
There is a roof top terrace out back which I'm sure is real popular in nice weather.
Every town should have a go-to eatery like this

Reviewed 12 April 2017

We were visiting Warrenton and came upon this restaurant at lunch time. They have a nice selection of Virginia beers on tap. I had the smothered portobello on wheat with the garden salad. I had the herb vinagrette dressing. My meal was quite tasty. My husband had the oyster Po Boy which was very well stuffed and also very tasty. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and our server was friendly. WiFi is free. I got a nice thank you for visiting by email.