“Not a bulls-eye, but still on target”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a busy night (Friday night of Easter Weekend 2012), so any problems that exist with the property were likely to become apparent. Our experience was mostly smooth, marred only by a couple of housekeeping/maintenance items.

Check-in was quick and courteous. We were greeted in a friendly manner, by name, and our Hilton Hhonors status was properly noted. Basically all the in-processing items on the Hilton checklist were followed without a hitch.

Staff at this property was fantastic. In fact, the people who staff this hotel are probably its greatest asset.

There are several room types and layouts available at this extended-stay property. Note that this review is for a non-smoking 1-bedroom King suite (which is different than the King Studio Suite which is the same price). When we made our reservation we got the last of this type available (one the one hand, lucky for us, but with the drawback that nothing else is available is there is a problem with the room)

As other reviewers noted, wait times for the elevators can be quite long. Annoying, definitely, but I wouldn't advise against staying here solely on that basis. But then I was only there one night. Maybe I would feel differently if I were there for 60 days.

The room was laid out nicely and most things were in good working order. The large flat-screen TVs were nice and I noted the presence of a DVD player. Carpets were vacuumed and clean. Preference for bed firmness is highly variable from guest to guest. I would say that our bed was sort of middle of the road. Some people may find it a tad firm, others a bit soft. But probably acceptable to nearly everyone.

Upon check-in there was a hair from a previous guest on the seat of a particularly important piece of restroom equipment. Hmmmm, definitely not a good sign, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us (especially considering that there were no other "similar" rooms available that night).

The kitchen area was spotless. The dishwasher was immaculate. The dishes in the kitchen were all clean and were well-stocked. There were no funny smells coming from the refrigerator as we have occasionally encountered before.

As it typical for Homewood Suites, the sink and vanity area is outside the bathroom area. That's always a big plus in my book. Our room type had a shower only, so families with small children take note (other room types have a tub - ask the front desk if you're not sure what you're booking). The walk-in shower was very spacious and quite nice. Countertops and shower enclosure all had a medium-dark granite look. Water pressure was fine and hot water temperature was also good. But, oops, there was mildew on the shower enclosure. Not so bad that it looked like it was going to take over, but definitely noticeable. A couple of extra minutes by the cleaning staff with a bottle of Tilex and everything would be fine (of course we didn't notice this until the next morning, but we did mention it upon checkout).

Our room (515) was right next to the elevator. On a busy night I feared that hallway noise might be a problem but we never heard anything from the hall. The layout is such that the bed is pretty far removed from the hallway walls and room door, so that probably helps. Exterior noise, however, was another story.

This property is basically "L"-shaped. One leg of the "L" (the leg with the front desk in it) runs parallel to Cleveland Street and the other leg runs perpendicular extending out to just a a few feet from the off ramp for the freeway. We were right in the "elbow" of the "L", thus we figured that street noise would not be a problem, but the Virginia Beach Expressway (264) turned out to be noisier than we expected. It was definitely noticeable, even up on the 5th floor where were. A fan would probably mask it pretty well, but we always bring "emergency" ear plugs for just such a contingency so we were fine. I suspect that the rooms which face Cleveland Street are much quieter as there are more walls between you and the freeway. If noise is big concern, there's a room tip for you.

As we were there on a Friday night, the evening reception was not available, and we opted for the all-you-can breakfast bar at Shoney's Saturday morning, so I cannot comment on food at this property.

Management was thoughtful enough to include two laundry bags instead of one in the closet and, thankfully, plenty of hangers. Too bad the sliding glass door on the closest (left side) did not slide easily and would occasionally stick. Maybe we got the only room in the hotel with that problem.

The room was tastefully appointed and even included something I don't normally encounter - a wall-mounted hanging plant (fake, I'm sure). But a nice touch.

All told, this is not the best Homewood Suites I've ever stayed at. But it was certainly better than some (particularly the older ones). I can't give it an "Excellent" overall rating due to the housekeeping issues we encountered. Since I don't see a widespread trend of other reviewers reporting housekeeping issues, I'll chalk it up to being the exception rather than the rule. And, hey, I was getting the room for free by using my Hilton points, so I can't be too demanding. :-)

Room Tip: Rooms that face Cleveland Street should be quietest, but there are not many of those.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank keithwnc
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Hello Keith,
Thank you for your detailed review of the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport. We really appreciate you taking the time to express your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff treated you well. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Meredith Alexander Brinkley

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding last year. The wedding was at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens and this hotel was in a great location as it was near the beach, and the gardens. It took us about 10 minutes to get to the beach and a few more than that to get to the gardens.

First off, the key selling point on this hotel is the price. I am writing this review late, but I think our rate was ~80 bucks a night. Its a great deal, considering what you get for your dollar and compared to area hotels.

The hotel is relatively new and everything is in good shape. Check in/out went without an issue. The hotel lives up to the Homewood Suites name in every way and will meet the needs of most travelers.

We opted to eat out, there is a wonderful mexican resturant on the way to the beach, but the room had every kitchen applicance utensil you would need for a meal.

I would stay here again if I come back for another wedding.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goosebump6
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Hello,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach. I am glad you had a good experience with us! I will pass your comments on to my staff. It means a lot to all of us. Hopefully we will see you again if your travel needs bring you back to the area.

Meredith A. Brinkley

Reviewed 19 March 2012

The hotel is fairly new and the staff is friendly but we will not return. We have the highest Hilton Honors status possible. We requested a late checkout and were told they could not help us. We asked a 2nd time the next morning and were again told no and that our Hilton Honors Status was not honored there. We stayed two nights and our room was never cleaned - even after calls to the front desk. They did bring us clean towels and coffee only after we went down to the front desk.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach. I am so sorry we were unable to accommodate your late check out request over the weekend. We do our best to grant late check out requests, however it is not always possible based on business demands. Your Hilton Honors membership is both honored and acknowledged, however late check outs are not guaranteed with the program. Based on your review, we were able to review your guest records. We had noted that your "Do Not Disturb" sign was on your guest room door. I apologize on behalf of our housekeeping team if this was notated in error. We certainly do not want to leave you with a bad impression of our hotel. I would like to discuss your stay with you personally and "make it right". Please contact me directly at the hotel, extension 2001. Thank you for staying with us and for being loyal to the Hilton brand family of hotels. We appreciate your business.
Meredith Brinkley

Reviewed 17 February 2012

What can I say... other than awesome. to start I usually spend around 150 to 200 night in a hotel per year. Usually I stay in a Residennce Inn. I once had the opportunity to stay at the Hilton Homewood Suite. The stay was more than I could have imagined. The staff are the friendliest people I have ever met within the hotel business. The rooms were super clean and comfortable. never in my travels have I ever been treated with this much respect and appreciation. Meredith, Sandy, Nicole and the rest of the crew go out of their way to make you feel at home. never have i felt that in any other hotel. All it took was one stay and I was hooked. Since that day anytime I am in Norfolk, Va. The Hilton Crew will will always get my business. Just a little something to share. When I travel and return to the Hilton when I first walk in I am always greeted with a warm smile and a "welcome home". So with that said, I stongly suggest the Hilton Homewood Suites. Job well done Meredith and Sandy and I am looking forward to seeing you soon and also suggest everyone else to do the same.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Troy H
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Hello,
Thank you so much for the FANTASTIC review! I am so glad you enjoy our hotel, management, and staff. Your review means a lot to our team. It is such a pleasure to have you in our hotel. We can't wait to see you again!
Meredith Alexander Brinkley

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Needed a place to stay because I was having work done to my house, so I choose this hotel because of its location closer to the Naval base. I've stayed at alot of Homewood's and this one was just okay. Nothing really stood out besides the helpfulness of the front desk. They were exceptional. The elevators are slow so be prepared to wait. I think the hotel has smoking rooms, as the smell of smoke can be smelled in the hallways. Other then that the hotel was clean and room are of nice size for me and my family. One last thing: where is the waffle maker?

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2012

Hello,
Thank you so much for reviewing the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport. I am glad to hear our front desk staff provided you with exceptional service. We do have several smoking rooms available for guests. We serve waffles at least 3 times a week on our complimentary hot breakfast buffet with French Toast offered on the other days. I am sorry we did not have them while you were here! I hope you will stay with us again if the need arises. We appreciate your business.

Meredith A Brinkley