“The Outstanding Management Response to an unfortunate circumstance.”

Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 31 July 2011

On July 8, 2011 we arrived at Candlewood Suites about 8:30 pm to check-in only to discover that the hotel had been struck by lightening the night before and they had no AC, no internet and could not check us in. They made arrangements for us to stay at an adjacent hotel, the Crowne Plaza, on their dime. The next morning, we discovered that the Crowne Plaza was sold out for the week and did not have a room for us, so my husband went back to the Candlewood to see if they would be up and running for our week long stay.

Let me just say, my husband travels regularly for business and he was extremely impressed with the manager, Melinda Warren. When he approached the desk she had a phone to each ear and was very pleasant, going out of her way to find us a place to stay, making the reservation and confirming them for us at the Holiday Inn Executive Suites on Greenwich for the remainer of our stay. She was gracious and still seemed to have a sense of humor about her even under these stressful conditions. Need less to say, we cannot give a review of the rooms here but if management goes that far out of their way to make their customers stay as uneventful as they can, we can only imagine how well the hotel is run on an everyday basis.

We plan on giving them another try on one of our stays to visit family and would recommend it to family visiting Virginia Beach.

Thank you again, Melinda Warren, for your outstanding handling of this situation under less than desirable conditions!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sunflowertraveler_10

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Used priceline to get a great deal and was pleasantly suprised with all the perks it came with! The location is pretty much the only downfall for a trip to the beach, BUT... they offer free parking and use of facilities at a sister property right on the main strip/oceanfront. Even though it was super busy during this weekend (July4th) we were able to get a parking spot and take advantage of facilities at the beachfront (indoor pool, bathroom, lobby etc) as if we were guests at the hotel that would've charged double the cost of Candlewood.

Also, there is a Crown Plaza next door that has a pool for your use as well. So don't get turned away if the hotel doesn't have location, and amenities in their offering. The rooms themselves are extremely clean and equipped with a quality kitchenette with a full fridge and stovetop, plus a laundry room downstairs.

Nearby is the towering Westin conference center, tons of restaurants, nice or fast food... new-ish looking area, not as run-down as the rest of the Vabeach area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ali28970
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We had booked a room here for 4 nights, but ended up staying only 1 night. On the night we stayed, the hotel was struck by lightening, resulting in the internet going down as well as the elevator. We were one of the few rooms left with air conditioning, so after being assured it was safe, we elected to spend the night. The next day, the air conditionting we had, stopped, so we decided to leave. The manager assured us there would be no charge for the night we stayed. A week later, when we arrived home, I checked our Visa and discovered they had charged us almost $400. I called the manager who said the "system" had just come back (after almost a week!) and the charge would be removed within 24 hrs. The next day that charge was removed, but a new charge for almost $600 was on our Visa. To this day, it is still there. Although it is not their fault that they were struck by lightning, they are in complete disarray more than a week after "the event". The management at this hotel is incompetent and who knows what charges you will incur if you check in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JudySlidell
melindawarren, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Dear JudySlidell:

Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to VA Beach! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We strive for 100 % guest satisfaction. Feedback tells us what we are doing right and what we are can improve on. When we were hit with lightning on July 7th, 2011 we lost pretty much all 83 AC Units, ALL TV’s, phone system, front desk system as well as credit card processing system. All of the above was out for a minimum of 6 days. In situations like this you learn from it and learn what you can do better next time. We are so sorry that you did not have the trip that you intended on having. We apologize for the posting error on your credit card. It was a genuine mistake and we made sure that it was rectified as soon as our systems were back up and we were able to. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you and your husband back to the Candlewood Suites VA Beach real soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2011

This hotel's GM and Staff are OUTSTANDING!! I am speaking from what I witnessed during my two week stay. The building got struck by lightning which blew out most of the low voltage appliances. (ie TVs, cable and AC) Now the last time I checked, there aren't too many businesses out there that would order up some lightning to strike them in order to create utter chaos for days to come. I witnessed people yelling, screaming and cursing out the staff. With the same friendly attitude that they checked us in with, the crew went into action calling local hotels, including the Crowne Plaza next door. Everyone without AC was offered a room elsewhere free of charge. People without TV were still complaining. People is it that serious???
The crew was up for days while electricians and phone people came and went scratching their heads. To make a long story short, the hotel lost most of their ACs and TVs, lost money on moving guests to another hotel, lost money on refreshments purchsed, and still gave these people that night for free. Above and Beyond is all I can say. Just moving me to a place that had AC on that hot day would have been enough for me.
These people are the same everytime I go there. They even call you by name. All of those guests in and out....how do they do it?
Highly recommended!! Their GM and staff are the best!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank GaryCustisSr

Dear Mr. Custis:
Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to VA Beach! We appreciate you taking the time to right a positive review of us and make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay. We strive for 100 % guest satisfaction. Feedback tells us what we are doing right and what we are can improve on. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Candlewood Suites a leader in excellence. Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future and hopefully there will be no storms!

Reviewed 14 July 2011

I made my reservation at the Candlewood Suites in Virgina Beach in April of 2011 with my Husband and son. We drove all the way from New York a 7 hour trip. We got there at 9:00 AM, but checkin wasnt until 3:00pm so i spoke to one of the clerks at the front desk asking about my check in time if I can come sooner to check in they said that should be fine. The hotel was very clean, and service desk was very nice BUT NEVER ONCE anyone at the front desk tell me they had a situation going on with NO AIR OR CABLE WORKING SINCE THURS. the prior week before. So my family and I went to the local aquarium there in VA beach and prior to going to the hotel at 2:30 pm we went to go get food for our stay spend 100.00 dollars on groceries come to find out when i checked in at 2:30 I was getting moved to a different hotel my money for food went down the drain, i was farther away from the beach, and We were disappointed that we werent notified before of this situation. A woman at the front desk acted like she didnt even care just told us to go to the Holiday Inn on Grennwich Rd NOW THIS HOTEL WAS GREAT THE SERVICE WAS AWESOME THEY HAD A BEAUTIFUL DINER CALLED ASHLEYS THE FOOD WAS GREAT THERE IF YOU WANT TO STAY SOMEWHERE DOWN SOUTH PLEASE GO TO THE HOLIDAY INN IT WAS CLEAN AND WE ENJOYED OUR STAY THERE !!! In Norfolk .Plus they worked with me and I ended up paying cheaper then the Candelwood Suites !!!! Which was GREAT !! Candlewood suites just through my family and I out there we are not from the area they didnt care that i lost money on food, after a seven hr drive that we were tired it was very upsetting and I will not be returning back to the CANDLEWOOD SUITES !!!! And i am in the process of wriitng a letter to the head of operations.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family