“Pricey but worth it!”

Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Pricey but worth it!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just returned from two nights at the Hilton Oceanfront-VA Beach. Awesome! This is our fifth return to this property and soooo worth it. Of course, it helps to have "picture perfect" weather and we did! The beach is well taken care of with great rental chairs or bring your own! The rooftop infinity pool is quite small but always a hit with us. We were there without kids and it was very injoyable. It seems that everytime we have been there that children seem to enjoy the large indoor rooftop pool much more than the smaller outdoor pool--that works for me! The bar is tip-top only having to give the bartender your room number--never have to exchange cash is the best. Also, the lunch menu is great! We have our favorite VABeach restaurants and the crowded ones in the Hilton are not actually among our faves but do seem to be greatly enjoyed by tourists.

Room Tip: Rooms are a little pricey and we usually like to stay oceanfront but the rooms on the street side of...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, VA
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My wife and I have stayed here the past two years for our anniversary. We are local and when we stay here, we feel like we are away from it all. We stayed May 18-20th and check in was a breeze and they had a bottle of complimentary champagne waiting for us in our room. Room was spacious with a king bed, nice sized plasma, mini fridge and balcony with ocean views as well as views of the VB strip. The bathroom was a shower only but that was fine and did have tv in the bathroom wall. Wife used that while getting ready for dinner watching the horse racing. We were on the Empyrian Club level floor and def took advantage of the Club Lounge that had continental breakfast, hors d'oeuvres and bottled sodas, waters, juices, teas and coffee whenever you needed them. Also had a full stocked bar at an extra cost. It was a windy weekend but Saturday was nice and sunny so we took advantage of the Sky Bar and sunned by the amazing infinity pool and drank great mojitos and mixed drinks. Drinks were much more moderately priced than I was expecting like 5-6$ for a mixed drink. They do need more loungers up there but there really isn't much more room for them. We were lucky enough to get some though. 1 plus was that it was the music festival during our stay and the main stage was on the beach below our room so we just sat on the balcony or in bed with the glass doors slip open listening to music. Didn't eat at any restaurant in the Hilton this stay. Checkout was just a quick call over the phone and off we went. Only problem is being able to hear the DJ up at the Sky Bar until 2am some nights. Could keep some people awake but I slept fine. Great anniversary weekend and short get away from home. We will be back.

Room Tip: Run over to Murphy's across the street for a good time in an Irish Pub. Also Isle of Capri is a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel.
I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay at our concierge level and that our service was up to your standards as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of service and to respond in the best possible way to our guest needs. I am also glad to hear our front desk team provided you with fast and efficient service.
We sincerely hope we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I splurged on a weekend getaway, but the Hilton just wasn't what I thought it would be.

First, there is a Hilton Honors line at check in. If you're not a member, people who haven't waited at all can just waltz in and get in front of you. REALLY? I'm pretty sure we forked hundreds of dollars a night to stay there. This isn't first class, it's a hotel room.

Next, is the issue of parking. You will be paying $7/day a day to park there and it isn't included in the room rate. To valet, you will need to pay $14 a day! And don't think that you can easily "self park" yourself; the hotel goes out of their way to make sure it is as inconvenient as possible to self park. You are not permitted to use the luggage cart yourself. If you valet the first day, on the second day, you have change to self parking. My husband went to do this and because the reservation wasn't in his name, they gave him a hard time about moving HIS car. Oh that's the other thing, you will literally have to get your car and MOVE your car to a second spot, even if you don't use valet services at all that day! We when checked out, my job was to take the luggage down (without the cart of course) and my husband went to get the car. BUT you can't get out of the garage without a key...so then I had to drag my luggage across the street in the rain to rescue him. All to avoid a huge $14/day parking fee.

On to the internet. Not only will you be charged $10/day to use the internet, you'll have to pay $10/day per DEVICE!!! I originally agreed to the pay the outrageous fee on my i-phone to check my email for work. I figured we could watch a movie on our laptop later anyway. But, no that would cost $20 for 24 hours of use. COME ON! I pay $40/month for my internet access at home. And by the way, the internet was so impossibly slow, we couldn't even watch the movie! I called the front desk to ask that one of the charges be removed; I would just use the laptop instead. We were assured that the charge would be removed. Guess what happened instead?

We also went on the weekend of free beach music...whether you like it or not. So much for a quiet romantic weekend. This concert boomed music into our room from 5-10 on Friday and 12p-11p on Saturday. By the time if finally stopped on Saturday, I was ready to pull my hair out. I think the Hilton should never had allowed a concert to go on for that many hours two days straight twelve inches from their backdoor.

The Hilton is a beautiful hotel and I understand why people would want to pay top dollar to stay there. But be prepared to pay a lot more than the room rate to enjoy typical hotel services that are free and if you're not a Hilton Honor's member, don't be expected to be treated like royalty - move to the back of the line.

1 Thank Richmond_Foodie98
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We have stayed here several times over the past couple years. It is a nice hotel, but had a few problems which could be annoying...The hotel was booked to capacity (3 wedding, and 2 birthday's) and waiting for an elevator seemed to take forever. Three elevators for a hotel with 21 floors is ridiculous. When and elevator would get to your floor, it would be so full that you would have to squeeze in with everyone. We booked an ocean view king, but received a oceanfront double...I appreciate the oceanfront view, but sleeping in two doubles completely made me feel like I was Lucy and Ricky from I Love Lucy and put a dent in our romantic weekend getaway without kids. :) Overall, we would probably stay again, but would make sure I got the correct room. I feel like my room was given away to someone in the wedding party. :( The walls are super thin and I could hear people talking in next room. The man sneezed in the next room and I thought it was my husband. :) I said bless you and then busted out laughing when I realized it was not our room. :)

Room Tip: Do not slam your door...It is rude...I am sure your mother taught you better
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Feedback is appreciated, as it allows us to improve where possible.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences suffered due to the noise and crowded elevators. You have pointed out some very valuable points for us and we do intend to take your comments very seriously as it allows us to improve our service and quality where possible.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Usual Hilton elegance. The rooms are what you would expect from a Hilton. The front desk, room service, valet, bell desk, were all superb. No complaints at all. The ocean view room I had was on the 14th floor and basically was a side view with a balcony on the south side. Very noisy air conditioning unit below. Sound insulation was poor so the outside noises were audible and made for poor sleep conditions for a light sleeper like me. The elevators (four, I think) are insufficient for the volume of people and the 20 floors of this hotel. Valet parking is cheap ($14 compared to $7 for self parking). Food is excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business