“Lovely Decorations, but way overpriced.”

Mizuno Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mizuno Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #143 of 1,427 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Cross street: First Colonial
Virginia Beach
“Lovely Decorations, but way overpriced.”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I received a gift certificate for Mizuno this Christmas and decided to give it a try the other night. My fiancee' and I were in the mood for sushi...but when we got there we realized we would not be going there again.
I've been to my fair share of sushi restaurants, some good, some bad. This one was way overpriced for what you received. The food wasn't bad, but the value was. I was shocked at the price.
I will say, that it had a very unique decore and was probably one of the more beautiful sushi restaurants I have been in.

Visited January 2012

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Creative, Unique and Fresh”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

It is hard to find a better sushi restaurant in the enire US than Mizuno's in Virginia Beach. I dont even eat raw sushi and I love it. The current restaurant has a nice upscale atmosphere. However, they are expanding into new space next door and I am sure it will be even prettier. My favorite is the tempura lobster roll. I also love the jumbo shrimp tempura roll. Don't miss the beef negimaki. Even though I dont eat raw sushi, my husband raves about it. And I have to say I love watching the trays come by because they are so beautifully arranged. I also like how they give you hot hand towels to clean your hands before dining. The owner Walter is always there.

• Visited October 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Best in the world, no kidding!”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I have eaten in sushi bars all over the world, courtesy of 25+ years with the Navy. Mizuno offers the best sushi, bar none (no pun intended! ;-) The owner/chef, Walter, is a stickler for detail and quality. You can rest assured, you will never receive less than the absolute best. No wilted lettuce, questionable fish, or stale drinks...everything will be fresh, expertly prepared, and elegant in its presentation. The service is attentive and the entire dining experience is perfect. For those who found Mizuno Restaurant expensive, well, you get what you pay for, truly. There is no comparison!

• Visited July 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Best Sushi in Hampton Roads”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I love Sushi, and this is the only place I will eat in our area. I recommend the Jalapincho, Crunchy Flounder, and So Soy Roll.

Other Reviewers have said it is expensive, perhaps this is in comparison to other Sushi restaurants in the area that use lower quality fish and ingredients, or if you cook yourself, but if you compare it to top sushi restaurants in New York which offer similar quality, it is cheap.

The Japanese waitresses are lovely and if you seat at the Bar you will meet Walter, the owner chef who is great.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank baygirl000
charleston, sc
“Mercy of the Chef”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Mizuno, bar none in this area, serves the best quality fish and is priced accordingly. The small jewel box of a restaurant with austere modernist vibe with low lighting and the absence of any kitchen odor (grease) makes this noteworthy. The chef/owner, Walter, runs the restaurant with velvet glove, although is sometimes off putting with the way he berates the staff. It sets an edgy vibe to the evening that would otherwise have been enjoyable. The loud regulars (louts) treat this as their living room/lounge and you are assaulted by inconsequential talk. Were it not impolite or just plain weird, I'd bring a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones to the bar and enjoy my meal.

1 Thank zendr