“New owners, quality GONE”
Review of Matsu Sushi Bar

Matsu Sushi Bar
Ranked #516 of 1,588 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stopped by to find that it wasnt a renovation, but in fact an ownership change. Lots of menu favorites gone. I was served squid that was IMPOSSIBLE to chew or pull apart or even cut!

7  Thank Kthln01

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Was taken to Matsu by some friends and I have not had sushi this good since I've been in Virginia (3 years). The sushi is very reasonably priced and the service is great. The food was fresh and made to order. Nice place for a group or on a date. Have need there a few times now and have never left disappointed. Excellent job Matsu!!

4  Thank Snoopy420
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We found Matsu about 2 years ago and are always going in for the BEST SUSHI IN HAMPTON ROADS. In fact, everything on the menu is delicious. Master Choo is an amazing sushi artist and his wife prepares excellent dishes in the kitchen. Plus, we always get great service from Steve. Family owned restaurant with lots of love in every piece of food they serve. We cannot go anywhere else for sushi because it is never as good as Matsu. Highly recommended!!

4  Thank KDSVA
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We've been going to Matsu sushi since 2000 and we haven't found a sushi restaurant we like better. We've tried sushi all over the Hampton Roads and Richmond area and nothing compares. The fish is always fresh and there are lots of different rolls to choose from. My favorite is the hurricane roll! Very friendly staff with a family feel. Not fancy, but clean and a pleasant atmosphere. No need to hide behind flare.

2  Thank Pghsteelerlover
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I love this place. I am not a sushi guy as a whole, but I am addicted to the Volcano rolls here. The crab sunomon is excellent also.

Place is immaculately clean which is obvious by the fact there is no smell. I am sensitive to rotting fish, can pick it up from a mile away, and never even a wiff at this location. Other Sushi restaurants I walk into and immediately gag but they must scrub this place down, top to bottom, daily.

the staff is wonderful and the waiter knows who his regulars are and recognized them on site, so becoming a regular is well worth it.

So swim on in for the best sushi fins down in Tidewater!

3  Thank Michael T