“Very Good for the Price!”

Wingate by Wyndham Virginia Beach / Norfolk Airport
Ranked #51 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 12 October 2017

My daughters and I had a very nice stay. All the service was exceptional. Looks like most of the hotel has been updated except the tub in the bathroom.
I would make one suggestion on the breakfast buffet: you NEED another waffle iron.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

It was a great hotel at an excellent price. The only problem I experienced was not being able to receive towels/washcloths when needed. I was told that they were out of them at the moment, but never received anymore during my stay.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We booked our hotel months ago and secured it with a credit card. Our card was stolen and used illegally 1 week before our trip. The Chase Bank fraud department alerted us and cancelled our card, informing us that they were sending a new one. We completely forgot that the hotel room had been held with this card.

We had a very long, turbulent flight and landed in Norfolk at 11:30 that evening. By the time we secured our rental car and located the Wingate hotel we just wanted to take a shower and sleep! When we arrived, we were informed that the card had declined earlier that day and that someone should have called to let us know and to get a new credit card number to hold the room. NO ONE CALLED. Our phones were with us at all times because we were checking to make sure the flights were not delayed. We would have seen a voice mail or a phone call.

They had given our room away and were completely booked. By now it is almost 1am and we are completely exhausted and upset.

At first the young man at the desk was helpful. NOT apologetic or even understanding but helpful. He gave me a laptop with a list of hotels nearby that I could find my own hotel that might have a room available.

My husband has worked in the hotel business for over 40 years. He knows what his expectations are for his front desk help. And this young man was NOT what you would expect at a Wyndham property. He refused to help us find another location. When we informed him that we had not received a phone call he was very condescending saying that we have no proof that we didn't receive a call. And the worst part was when he said "Well, you shouldn't have used a bad card to secure your room?"

Even after having explained to him that we had totally forgotten about our card being cancelled due to fraud.!

We are 58 year old professionals. We are not 21 years old trying to get a free room or a handout. We were tired, hungry, and needed a place to lay our heads. We were trying to explain to the young man that we never received a call and all he said was "you have no proof". What? My husband was in shock. He would fire his front desk help in a second if he heard his people saying even half of what we were told by this boy. I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs with condescending lines that were thrown at us. At one point he pointed to a computer in the lobby and said sorry, there is nothing I can do for you. If you want to use our computer, there it is. When my husband asked how to get into the computer, the young man said "Well if you can't see the password taped to the front of the computer, then I don't know what to tell you".

I felt like I had just stepped into a bad dream. This could not have been happening to us. When we asked to speak to his GM, he refused to contact them saying that we are trying to get him fired. He then proceeded to call someone who he said was the night manager, telling this person that there is a very nasty man getting ready to jump over the counter at him, what should he do. He hung up the phone and said that he was told to call the police.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? My husband is a Director in the hotel industry. He is responsible for making sure guests are treated with respect. His entire 40 years of career would be down the tubes if he ever "jumped over a counter" at a front desk worker.

I have never been in such shock! Never has even the worst motel treated me this way.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2017

The closet door handle was falling off. The bathroom was old with rusty fixtures and discolored tub. Difficult to open or close the main door.