All reviews lighthouse room message in a bottle perfect hosts gourmet breakfast beach towels two blocks rooms are comfortable each morning wonderful stay living room sharon boardwalk lodging accommodations
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at Barclay Cottage for the third year in a row this weekend, and it charms us every time. From the beautifully appointed rooms to the fabulous breakfast, it doesn't get better. The beds are comfy and the location is perfect. We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank typie
tria3, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Thank you! We appreciate that you have shared your enjoyment of our inn with others. We are happy that you have come a few times and are looking forward to your next visit. We'll all have things to catch up on!

Reviewed 28 October 2010

We were at Barclay Cottage last week for our second visit, which was just as wonderful as the first. Same clean, beautiful comfortable guest rooms and common areas, same delicious breakfast (and afternoon cookies), but most importantly, the same warm welcome. I feel as much at home here as I do visiting with family whom I have known all my life. This is definitely going to be an annual visit for us.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Virginia_Lee7

Yes!!! Come every year. We'll look forward to having you here and catching up on what has been going on in all our lives. That is so much fun and the very best part of owning an inn. Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Steve and Marie where such wonderful hosts, I felt like I was a guest staying with old friends. I have never felt a need to submit a review before, but this place is so wonderful I had to share. When Steve called soon after I made the booking, to inquire about food likes, dislikes and allergies, I knew I had made the right choice, and the experience only improved from there. Breakfast cooked by Marie every morning was amazing, and kept us going all day - I never once felt the need for lunch while I was there. My initial booking was for 4 nights and we ended up staying 6 nights. If you are looking for a place to relax in a comfortable environment, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ljdunivin

We love that you extended your stay with us...and that you came to us in the first place! The hardest part of being an innkeeper is saying goodbye to folks whom we have enjoyed getting to know. That's you. We can; however, still look forward to seeing you again, I hope.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

My wife and I recently visited Virginia Beach staying at Barclay Cottage for the third time. Once again Steve and Marie-Louise, along with the "Cottage" made our stay memorable. Upon entering, you are immersed in the charm and history of this turn of the century cottage. The friendly and homey guest parlor/dining area greets you and is perfect for reading the daily newspaper, catching a little television (we've yet to watch TV on our visits) or getting better acquainted with your fellow guests before breakfast. Guest rooms are tastefully decorated with period pieces and are extremely inviting. We've now stayed in three different guest rooms and all three have provided us the perfect blend of intimacy and comfort. Outside, the wrap-around porches are perfect for beginning the day with a before breakfast coffee and ending the day with a freshly baked cookie and "beverage of choice."

Breakfast at Barclay Cottage is an event in itself. Marie-Louise shines in the morning. Her breakfasts are the best we've had at any B&B or hotel restaurant. It is obvious that Marie-Louise enjoys delighting her guests by the meticulous detail she puts into her breakfasts. In addition, I've never experienced a better B&B breakfast table atmosphere. Steve and Marie-Louise's warm hospitality is contagious and we've had some wonderful table conversation with our fellow guests. Maybe it's because Steve and Marie-Louise always take the time to join their guests at the table or maybe it's the delicious food. Whatever the reason, it is a wonderful way to start the day!

My wife and I have stayed at B&B’s up and down the east coast and Barclay Cottage is our favorite. The location is a short walk to the beach and boardwalk and is convenient to many fine restaurants and attractions. After all is said and done, the warmth and charm of Barclay Cottage might only be surpassed by the hospitality of Steve and Marie-Louise. They know how to please and they make you feel right at home…down to earth, never pushy, happy to take a little extra time with their guests to provide quick directions or a restaurant recommendation and above all else, always friendly. If you are going to visit the Virginia Beach area, I urge you to stay at Barclay Cottage. You won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard56

We look forward to having you here and this is the reason we love being innkeepers...so many good people come to us and we don't have to go anywhere! I know you've heard me say that before. I especially appreciate your sharing great recipes with me. Thank you for coming here and for taking the time to write a lovely review of your visit. Looking forward to staying in touch with both of you and to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 October 2010

Nice B and B located just 3 blocks from the Boardwalk. Visited for one night and ended up staying 5 total! Great hosts!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Catherine L
tria3, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

We were happy that you extended your stay with us because that enabled you to be a part of our wonderful Neptune Festival and to observe the sand sculptures during their entire process of being built. I hope you will agree that the festival is a fabulous time here in Virginia Beach. We surely enjoyed having you with us and thank you for your review!