All reviewsfire pittravel trailerpull thrudeluxe cabintent sitesbath housefeed the ducksfull hookupsdecent wififishing pondbig rigcamp storelevel sitesnice campwooden swinglevel gravelhigh definition
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Have stayed at Walnut Hills with our camper in the past. Fairly nice campground with lots of meandering curves.
Not much to do except hang out at your camper, walk around the lake, or play on the playground.
Expensive.
Decided to stay in the cabins for a weekend before my husband left on deployment since we had sold our camper.
Upon arriving, the cabins are SUPER tiny and cramped. The photos are incredibly deceiving. Nice view.
At bedtime, after the little one had been tucked into a bunk bed.
I pulled down the blanket in the 'master bedroom' to find the remnants of past guests. A greasy body print, and dog hair. Lots of dog hair. I immediatley contacted their 'emergency line' and explained my unhappiness and the fact that we were leaving tomorrow morning and I wanted my money back.
I then prepared to sleep in the top bunk while my husband slept on the 'couch'.
Housekeeping arrived to change out the linens. And did so very nicely.
I still told them we were leaving the next morning. I had already made hotel reservations in town.
Slept in the bunk anyway, and my husband slept on the couch anyway.
Checked out the next morning.
SInce then, I have requested my refund.
They sent a gift certificate. They do not do refunds.
I refused the gift certificate. I have NO camper and am not willing to drive three hours to sleep in their 'cabins' again.
They are very expensive for the area. You can do better.
Hope your stay is better.
We will not be back...sorry to say.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank StefCentralVA
Reviewed 26 June 2011

First let me say how well cared for this place is. The grounds are well kept and the facilities are clean. If you want a quiet place to park your camper or RV, this is your place! However, if you are tent camping, or you want to have some fun, make another selection. We rented two sites for 5 adults and two kids so we could set our tents up and have some family fun. The sites were of ample size, with plenty of room for our camping gear and enough parking spots for 4 vehicles. The sites were $38 per night each until the "add on's" started pilling up and they ended up being over $60 per night. The original rate was for one tent, one vehicle, and two adults per site. Each person over 4, each vehicle, and each tent cost extra ($13.50 for the small "kids" tent per night).

It didn't take long into our set up that we began to notice the "yellow shirt patrol" passing by every 5 mins to check us out. About an hour into the stay, we had our first visit to be informed of our first violation. Clip board in hand, the yellow shirt patrol informed me that I was not allowed to have a "clothes line" on the site. To which I kindly plugged in my rope lights to demonstrate their purpose was to provide light, and not to hang clothes. No ticket this time! Whew! Then came the next "officer" to visit and made us move one of the two cars off of our site. Even though they were neatly parked in the ample gravel spots directly in front of the site, I had to move the vehicle to the overflow parking lot because the rule is one vehicle per site. Keep in mind, I had to pay extra for this vehicle that can't park on our site!

We were finally in compliance with the laws, so it was time to have some fun. Unfortunately what little fun there is to have, stops at 8pm. The only entertainment is the pool and game room, both of which close at 8pm. So I guess we needed to just stay on our site and have some fun...but you can only do that until 10 because kids must be on the site and no noise is allowed from 10p-8a (which I understand). Unfortunately, the "no noise ordinance" does not include the diesel trucks that were coming in and out all night. These were likely folks returning from there trips to town to find something to do!

The web site advertised lots of activities for Dad's, as this was Father's day weekend, that didn't really occur. Fishing tournaments, horse shoes, etc. = A free hot dog for Dad on Saturday evening. There was a wagon ride for the kids and a movie in the pavillion but that's it.

We appreciated the cleanliness and the care for the property, and recommend this for an overnight camper/RV stay, but for a family vacation of tent camping, we'll try somewhere else next time!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank TravelinManEasternUS
Reviewed 19 May 2011

This location recently converted to a KOA has good facilities for overnight accomodation.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin D
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We have stayed at Walnut Hills Campground twice, and are reserved again for 2011.
Excellent facility for camping! The area we stay in is very spacious, the sites are neat
and well maintained...staff is exceptional...always willing to accomodate.
This is one of our top three favorite spots for camping in Virginia....would refer anyone
wanting a great experience! Looking forward to many more trips to Walnut Hills.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annmartone
Reviewed 5 April 2004

The best place to visit the Shenandoah Valley and experiance peace and fun would have to be WALNUT HILLS CAMPGOUND!! I have visited numerous states and beautiful country, I love where I live!!! Just around from this campground. I can walk down the road and see a clean safe environment, there are deer and mountain views. Deer have actually eaten from my hand!! This is the best maintained and enjoyable places on earth. The people are friendly you are always welcome.

11  Thank Experience26104