“Terrible”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in South Hill
Columbia, South Carolina
“Terrible”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel because I was in this city for a family reunion. When I book this hotel I was under the impression that the entire hotel was smoke free. When I walked in my room the entire room smelled like somebody smoked four packs of cigarettes. I went to the front desk to complain about the room and the representative was like “I’m sorry we are completely booked for the night and I am unable to get you in another room” this would have been fine if I didn’t have asthma. I explained to the rep that she needed to put a note in the system about the room. She explained to me when the next rep comes in he would be able to reimburse me my funds for the room. So when the next rep arrived I had to explain to him everything about what the problem was with the room. He explained that since I paid cash the money was in the safe and he was unable to give me a refund until after he does the audit at like 4 or 5 something in the morning and he speaks with the owner of the hotel. The next morning I went to the front desk to check to see if the owner of the hotel was notified of the situation. The rep at the front desk explained that my account was noted and the owner was notified and I should receive a check in the mail for my stay in the next couple of days. A week went by and no check in the mail so I contacted the hotel to check what was the hold up. When I spoke with the manager of the hotel she had no clue of what happened. She couldn’t find my account and when I explained to her that I had all of my information noted she explained that she would reach out to the hotel owner to check that status. I told her I would rather speak with the hotel owner myself. Hotel owner is never in the office when they say he is going to be there and he never returns phone calls. This situation is still ongoing. All I want is to receive a refund for my stay for them putting me in a room that was smoked out. After all of this I found out that they do have about four smoking rooms in this hotel but the room I was put in was non smoking. I will never say at a Hampton Inn again because how their staff is trained to treat their customers. I know every hotel is not the same but they really made my experience with this hotel horrible.

2 Thank Shaquana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for a short weekend and it was very nice. The lady at the front desk was friendly and mentioned that they had a large family reunion staying and were a bit short staffed but I never would have known it if she didn't say so. Breakfast was very good too- waffle iron & batter, fresh fruit, yogurt and danish. The lobby has some beautiful, Victorian-style furniture.

We were on the first floor near the pool and I was a little worried about noise but even with a handful of people in the pool I could barely hear them in the room. Our room also had a mini fridge and microwave. I'm always skeptical about whether or not the mini fridge is keeping food cold enough so I turn the temp all the way up to be sure. Our food froze! It definitely worked. The only thing that was odd was the toilet- it had this insanely forceful flush like it was just going to rocket off the floor! Bizarre, but acceptable.

1 Thank Italei
Berlin, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Upon my arrival, the front desk attendant was very pleasant, asked me how my drive was, and was very quick and informative with the check-in. Room was very clean, smelled great, and was more than what I expected (not in price, but in value for what i paid). Only make this trip every 2 years or so, and would absolutely stay here again.

1 Thank super8isdirty
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This was a decent property. I stayed in a King suite which had micro/fridge and wet bar area, 32" flat screen TV. The bed was good as were the pillows. Some of the towels were worn. The King suite is designed like a study, without a wall separating the sleeping and living areas. It had an extra table and pull out couch, which looked worn and saggy. Although I had no messages, my call light flashed all night until i unplugged the phones. The desk clerk didn’t know why the light was on and couldn’t clear it. He told me to put a washcloth over the phone. Bill and USA Today delivered to door in the morning. The breakfast bar was average for a Hampton, with hot waffles and a warm breakfast sandwich, cereal, fruit and the normal breakfast items. Outdoor pool is very small. As Hampton raises the bar on their properties this one is barely keeping pace. While still a good property and a good value, this one will need some work to keep pace with others. I give it a 79/100 and high on value for price paid.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2011

This place was one of the nicest we have stayed at. Price was fair and more than reasonable. Room was very clean and just a wonderful place to stay. We will stay here every chance we get.

• Stayed January 2011