“Wonderful dinner!”
Review of Alexander's

Alexander's
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 544 Restaurants in Roanoke
Price range: USD 18 - USD 35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campbell/Salem
Transit: Adjacent to City Bus Station and Smart Bus from VA Tech, Blacksburg & New River Valley
Description: We are SW Virginia's dining destination located next to the Farmer's Market, Hotel Roanoke Conference Center and the Taubman Museum of Art. Alexander's is an oasis for casual upscale dining. Focusing on superb ingredients; fish, seafood, prime quality Virginia aged meats and locally sourced organic produce, our cuisine showcases years of collaboration among some of the most talented chefs of our region. We have been selected two years in a row as one of the Top 100 Restaurants in the US by OpenTable.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a delicious pre-theater dinner earlier this week. Service was excellent. Food was delicious. And they took into consideration our need to get to the theater, so they made sure we got prompt service.

AlexRke, Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you! Please come in again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our first trip to Roanoke...went to Alexander’s...The New Orleans bbq shrimp - well you would just want to swim with them they were soooo good. Great French bread, too.
Everything was great including the service.
Go - you won’t be disappointed!

AlexRke, Owner at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you - We hope you'll be back soon!

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have been dining here for years. I decided today that I owed it to Alexander’s to write a well deserved review. First of all they should be #1 on this list. This is the best restaurant in Roanoke. The service, the food, the atmosphere is absolutely the best. They go above and beyond to satisfy their guests and to make them feel welcome. It is a must if looking for a great place to dine in the Roanoke area.

AlexRke, Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your review. Loyal customers like you who express their appreciation make our day! As as you might notice these ratings are driven by algorithms and also $$ toward advertising, which we don't do. But your vote is what's most important.

The Alex Team

Reviewed 30 September 2018

I had the trio. Chicken, shrimp and scallops. Chicken was small and over cooked. Scallops were a little sandy. Shrimp was good. My wife loved the steak filet.

Reviewed 25 August 2018

My wife and I were at Alexander's on an August Friday in the early evening to help a couple of former Roanokers celebrate their 50th anniversary. The restaurant was quiet and not crowded when we were seated at a banquette table at 6 p.m. The early diners looked to be retirees, as are we, but the crowd got more youthful as the evening wore on. Speaking only for myself, I ordered a generic gin-and-tonic, and I don't know what the well brand was, but it was good and cold and strong and the tonic was live; my host said to have another, so I did. Dinner began with a salad of fresh greens, locally grown, that was at least as good as one I could make from my own garden at home, and the vinaigrette was fresh and sweet; high praise for the salad. My entree was a filet mignon with bordelaise sauce and grilled langoustines served on a bed of mashed potatoes. The potatoes were forgettable, but the filet was perfectly medium rare and fork-tender with a mild sauce and the langoustines also were done to fork tenderness while retaining a juicy, very slight under-doneness; no complaints at all but only raves for the proteins. Desert was creme brulee. The service at Alexander's is quiet and professional and the atmosphere lends itself to taking a long time to dine. No one seemed to mind that we occupied our table for over two hours, and, knowing our host, I'm sure the staff was well compensated for our long tenure at table. This was our first foray to Alexander's in 20 years, probably. I have a feeling our next visit will come much sooner. I'm glad the restaurant has found a successful niche in Roanoke for what I believe is nearly four decades.

AlexRke, Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Thank you so much--we hope that you will be back soon!

Been to Alexander's? Share your experiences!