All reviewsthe main dining roompeaceful visitprivate deckwonderful weekendhot breakfastgeneral's quartersequestriancottagefireplacevirginia
Reviewed 4 September 2014

Our children gave us a gift certificate for the Inn at Kelly's Ford as a Christmas gift. My husband and I decided to use it for my birthday. We were awed by the beautiful grounds, accommodations, and equestrian center as we drove up. We were greeted warmly by Lizzie and enjoyed all of the friendly staff members we encountered during our stay. Our room was spacious and spotless and had a nice balcony. The dining room was not open for dinner but we thoroughly enjoyed our drinks and meal in the Pub. The food was delicious and the bartender/waiter could not have been nicer. Breakfast (included in the price of the room) was served in the lovely dining room. The French toast and Eggs Benedict were perfect. There are lots of outdoor activities but we didn't take advantage of any due to the extreme heat. We will definitely visit again when the weather is cooler!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms in the main inn where the dining room and pub are located.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I were given a weekend at the inn as a wedding gift. As the trip was already paid for, I didn't bother looking at reviews until after we got home, so I could compare notes. Well, my opinion is it's not quite as perfect as the 5-star reviews make it out to be, but NOWHERE near as bad as the bad reviews are. The only real problem we had (more of an annoyance) was the Pub. The breakfasts and the one dinner we had in their beautiful dining room were well above average, both in food quality and service. However, the food and service in the pub was spotty. We had dinner and drinks in the pub when we arrived (the pub was about 3/4 full). Food was nothing special, and semi-cold. I was brought the wrong side, but after asking for ketchup three separate times I decided to just eat my fries. However, when we went back the next afternoon for a few drinks and lunch, it was very pleasant. I think the problem lies in the small amount of serving staff (I literally think they have 2, maybe three servers for the whole inn). Everything else, from the INCREDIBLE room (king bed, Jacuzzi and huge shower) to the scenery was about as good as we could have asked for. Please don't let any of the bad reviews sway you from checking out this inn, I would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone. Just don't expect perfect world class service from an inn in the middle of nowhere, Virginia. Just enjoy the view!!!

Room Tip: The cottage suites are set up in a few different free-standing buildings. Each building is split with a top suite and a bottom suite. The bottom suites have nice porches, but the top suites have a private balcony, making the amazing views even better. See if you can request an "upper" suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just had our daughter's wedding reception at the Inn and cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff, food and accommodations. Tia and Lizzy were great to work with. They made sure everything ran smoothly. Guests were constantly approaching my husband and I to give rave revues on the venue. The food was plentiful and delicious. We are still reeling about our lovely weekend. The accommodations are lovely. The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained. Looking forward to going back with my husband for a lovely and relaxing weekend. Thank you Kellys Ford for a memorable reception!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry W
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent 2 nights here and were so impressed with the location (530 acres!) and most of the service. Brian in the Equestrian center was great with our canoe trip, Cindy and Penny (a trainee) were both great in the dining room and Pub-both smoothed out a rocky situation involving one of the asst. managers. Josh was also great in the upstairs dining room. I asked for a Negroni, he said he had not heard of it but would google it and he and the bartender would get it done and they did! Not so the second night in the Pub when the Campari and the Owner's choice Jordan Cab Sauv. went missing which was a bit odd (asst. manager that night in the Pub was not very good or competent)! The food here was very good. We stayed in the Silo which was nice but the stairs to the bedroom upstairs could provide a challenge. Next time we will choose one of the Cottages. Also the pool can be a bit of a problem. Sunday at around 3:00 pm we were alone but Monday there were 3 groups with 4-5 kids each that were not staying at the Inn-the owner lets friends and users of the Equestrian Center bring their kids to the pool. This is nice of her BUT NOT when it interferes with paying guests as it clearly did in our case.

Room Tip: Wifi was free but really non existent. And AT&T was a no show here. Cottages away from pool best as the pool is open 24 hrs (noise).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank billwa506
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I recently spent two nights at the Inn at Kelly's Ford and had a luxurious, relaxing time. Their chef is excellent, and the upstairs restaurant is great. The downstairs restaurant, or Pelham's Pub, has great, more casual meals of sandwiches and salads (also great food!). One of the best things about the Inn for us is the relatively proximity to the Washington, D.C. area. It takes an hour or less to get there from Northern Virginia. Once there, you're rewarded with a large, beautifully furnished room, elegant bathroom, and a great deck (or patio) from which to observe the beautiful countryside and the horses which populate the many fields. This was our second trip. During the first trip, we took a "day trip" to nearby Culpeper; this time we did a half-day trip to Charlottesville which is approximately 50 miles south of the Inn. There is a nice outdoor pedestrian mall there with many shops and restaurants. We would wholeheartedly recommend this Inn to anyone in need of R&R with the added benefit of great accommodations, great food, and helpful and wonderful staff. Would go again in a minute!

Room Tip: We like the General Grant cottage (upstairs). Close to the restaurants, but without any accompanying noise. Fun to sit out on the deck before dinner with a glass of wine or other drink, talk, take in the scenery, and marvel at the horses. Get some sun on the deck in the early evening, but they provide table umbrellas.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple