“Refined, creative and elegant dinning experience ”

The Ashby Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: USD 30 - USD 120
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 50 & Route 17
Description: At The Ashby, the dining experience is made up of equal parts cuisine, libations, service and place. Guests of The Ashby Restaurant are treated to a meal that offers creative, progressive, farm-to-table food, a range of wines, beers and spirits from our backyard and around the world, and genuine hospitality all of which is set against the bountiful backdrop of the Blue Ridge.
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Chef Tom and his team have created a unique gastronomic experience. The tasting menu is a progressive experience, that starts light with fresh homey flavors and evolved into more sofisticated and rich plates. Definitely Stuart, will guide you into selecting the best wine for you, considerering your tastes and the food- dare to try something new, we had an amazing Australian blend. Carlos and the "Escoffier serving dance" done by the team,enhance the experience, along with very creative looking plates. This is a culinary jewel. Must have the Mornay Stuffed Sweet Bread. Oh, and at the end this fabulous meal the Chef came to table and gave us a menu signed by all the team.

Menu brief :

Bay Scallops
Ham Hock- Foie Gras
Rohan Duck
Beef Short Rib with Blue Cheese Croquet ( súper yummy)
Thomasville Tom
Caramel Chocolate Cremeaux

Be ready to be impressed!!!

1  Thank Anect

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

A superb full dining experience at the Ashby inn Restaurant.

From the moment you walk in the staff is amazing. They offer to take your coats amd lead you to your table. The sommelier is soon at your heels with the wine list and a recomendation after a brief interview to see what you like. His recomended wine exceeded expectations.

And then the food arrives. From the amouse bouche, to the final dessert, the flavors build in complexity amd depth. Chef Tom has achieved umame in all his dishes.

The service is akin to a fine dining place. Plates arrive and are served simultaniously and are removed the same way. The wait staff knows the dishes and explains them and your wine glass is never empty.

Drive out from DC to find this culinary powerhouse, the drive is beautifull and the food is well worth it. Call ahead and make reservations and stay at the inn after the meal. You wont want to drive after. Stay and enjoy the vineyards and state park. Make it a weekend. You will not be dissapointed.

1  Thank Anect-Rafi M
Reviewed 30 January 2018

My wife and I stayed at the Ashby Inn this past weekend. I was excited to have dinner there, as they've always had a great reputation. I live in Northern Virginia, so I've tried many of the local favorites: L'Auberge Chez Francois, L'Auberge Provencale, and the Restaurant at Patowmack Farm. Not to mention numerous places in DC that have had acclaim over the years such as Marcel's, Komi, and City Zen (now closed). However, both the dinner and breakfast simply blew me away at Ashby Inn. The food and experience was better than all of the aforementioned restaurants. Is it probably the best dinner I've had in the area? I've been thinking about it and there's no question that the Ashby Inn sits towards the top of my list.

Why was it one of the best? Granted, since we were staying at the Inn, having no concerns about transportation helped! My wife and I had a weekend away for just us... We were not in a rush and could enjoyed great drinks in their library leading up to the dinner. However, the difference was that the food was truly superb. My wife and I were able to get differentiated tasting menus where she had the vegetarian menu with some small tweaks and I had the regular tasting. There were the typical surprises to break up the action (e.g., starter, amuse-bouche, truffles), but unlike many of the other restaurants where I've shelled out a pretty penny to have a number of "meh" moments (which is always disappointing when you are paying a premium expecting excellence), every course here at the Ashby was delicious. I felt like the meal was getting better as it played out. My appetizers were a scallop ceviche and local ham dish, which both had a nice balance of flavors and started the dinner off great. But then the monkfish and steak entrees were absolutely stellar. This was followed by a cheese course and dessert which were equally awesome. I felt like we could have kept eating and eating until we exploded, but alas, that would have been bad for business :)

The service was great - Very personable and considerate to a few dietary restrictions, which is sometimes not the case at nicer establishments. They worked with us to develop the best approach to maximize our enjoyment of what they had to offer. They also seem to have flexibility to "choose your own adventure" with allowing you to choose your own 2, 3, or 4 course menu, which is a neat option if you prefer a smaller set of dishes (I still recommend the tasting menus for the overall experience).

The restaurant itself and the area is extremely nice - I always heard of Paris and expected a small town. But really, it's just a village with the Ashby Inn, apothecary/store next by, the chapel they own, and a handful of homes. It's such a charming place and great restaurant. To further drive home my enjoyment of the Ashby, let me tell you that I typically think breakfast is the most overrated meal of the day. There's only so many ways you can cook eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. But I have to say that the "Full Ashby" was probably one of the best breakfast meals I ever had. I don't know what it was, but the eggs tasted so fresh (like they were fetched that morning), the hash browns triple fried crispy, and the bacon/sausage so meat-tastic. Prior to that, they brought out corn muffins that were easily the best I've ever had. I just thought everything was awesome. I read about the new chef Tom Whitaker, who's relatively new to the Ashby. Let me just say that I'm a fanboy - I love this guy's food and I think he's a real talent. I will definitely return to the Ashby after this experience. The restaurant churns out some incredibly delicious dishes and I think this place is severely underrated right now in the DC area food scene. Certainly worth the trip!

2  Thank Mike F
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We were in search of an upscale opportunity to celebrate New Year's Eve together. We chose the Ashby Inn.

The staff, the physical building and the food was excellent. There was ambiance, attentive servers, great tasting food, and a wine expert to answer all of our questions. We were delighted.

We recommend the Ashby Inn for a romantic, personalized evening. This is probably not where every high school couple would go for their prom night dinner, as one pays for what they get, and it is well worth it. Obviously an award winning restaurant.

So glad we had the opportunity to dine at the Ashby Inn.

Happy New Year!

1  Thank Stirling Y
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

We dined at the Inn last night with high expectations from the reviews. We were disappointed both with the overcooked and undercooked food and the abysmally slow service. My wife's Cod was nearly cold on the inside. Short ribs are not too hard to get right, but these guys managed to serve something that resembled a cold, chewy steak that had been cooked too long. The pricing also is too high. The restaurant was busy, but that's not an excuse for a 2 1/2 hour dining experience.
We invited friends for dinner and were embarrassed by having brought them to this spot.